Dan Cofran for Mayor?

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Dan Cofran for Mayor?

Post by Highlander »

KC star says he's running. Not a candidate I'd vote for. Pretty insular mindset - a lot like the Funk.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Dan Cofran for Mayor?

Post by chaglang »

He's running a "back to basics" campaign, based on the contention that James is spending only on flashy projects. If you ignore the taxes raised for police, fire, parks, water, and roads, that's accurate.

Considering that Funk was the first incumbent mayor in decades to lose a reelection bid, I don't see this shaping up into anything.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Steve Kraske column with a bit on Cofran:
http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/ne ... 77684.html
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm so happy Sly has another term. We really need to look at removing mayoral term limits....the Pendergast days are gone.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

KCPowercat wrote:I'm so happy Sly has another term. We really need to look at removing mayoral term limits....the Pendergast days are gone.
+1
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote:I'm so happy Sly has another term. We really need to look at removing mayoral term limits....the Pendergast days are gone.
this is moderately ironic, since council term limits weren't added until the 1990s. Cleaver was on the council ran for mayor when the limits went into effect

so as a city, we added more term limits way after the pendergast days
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

The Pendergast days may be over, but I'd hate to see a Daley-style legacy. Strong mayor with term limits would be better, imo. Maybe increase to four terms though. Oh yeah, and while we're at it, let's do congressional term limits.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

flyingember wrote:
this is moderately ironic, since council term limits weren't added until the 1990s. Cleaver was on the council ran for mayor when the limits went into effect

so as a city, we added more term limits way after the pendergast days
I was just assuming the Pendergast era is what put in term limits w/o researching it. I appears mayoral term limits have been in place since 1890s
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ma ... ,_Missouri
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Wiki is incorrect. Berkley served 3 terms from 1979 to 1991, or thereabouts.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:Wiki is incorrect. Berkley served 3 terms from 1979 to 1991, or thereabouts.
Yeah it literally says that on that link
50 Richard L. Berkley 1979 1991 Republican 3
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

I appears mayoral term limits have been in place since 1890s
;-)
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Dan is a friend of many years. I would not vote for Dan for mayor.

If you believe Sly James is only working on flashy projects, you are either not paying attention, or you are seeing what you wish to see.

Term limits cost the public more than they provide. Vote them out, if they are not doing the job you expect.

Two wrongs do not make a right, but three lefts does.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

loftguy wrote:Dan is a friend of many years. I would not vote for Dan for mayor.

If you believe Sly James is only working on flashy projects, you are either not paying attention, or you are seeing what you wish to see.

Term limits cost the public more than they provide. Vote them out, if they are not doing the job you expect.

Two wrongs do not make a right, but three lefts does.
Agree across the board. Cofran seems like a nice guy, just a little too naïve about what it's going to take for a city to succeed in the 21st century. I consider good public transportation as a critical need; maybe the most critical need and it absolutely impacts a city's ability to compete. My college age kids are looking to relocate to cities with good transportation that they can navigate without cars - they are not alone in that thinking. That's a top priority for them. KC is not on their list.

I don't like term limits. Why do we want politicians that are lame ducks after a limited number of terms? The incentive of re-election should keep them responsive to their constituents needs and more often than not we replace good ones with bad ones.