Do you have or plan to get Google Fiber?

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.

Do you have or plan to get Google Fiber?

Currently have Google Fiber - 'free' 5M service
14%
Currently have Google Fiber - 100M or 1 Gigabit service only
20%
Currently have Google Fiber - TV + 1 Gigabit service
41%
Am in a deployed Google Fiber area but sticking with current or moving to other ISP
1%
Am in a planned area, intend to get Google Fiber
10%
Am in a planned area, sticking with current ISP
1%
None of the above/something else
13%

Total votes: 87

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Do you have or plan to get Google Fiber?

Post by earthling »

grovester wrote:Found out my in-laws in Shawnee have google fiber up and running already. Seems like they jumped the line, aren't there folks in the original kcmo/kck roll out still waiting?
Yeah, much of KCMO not complete yet. Google Fiber in Shawnee and Lenexa are showing up in Google video quality report.

https://www.google.com/get/videoqualityreport/
davidc
Pad site
Pad site

Post by davidc »

300mb TWC service is available in Overland Park now - getting it installed end of the week. Hopefully will last me (12 months at discounted rate, no contract) until GF is ready here.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

a guy was stringing fiber up across the street Friday, said it was going to be done for my side of the street on Saturday. was gone so didn't see if it was actually done yet

their goal is by August and hopefully they beat it.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Comparing Google Fiber to other ISPs. TWC has come down on rates...
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r301958 ... speed-ISPs
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

earthling wrote:Comparing Google Fiber to other ISPs. TWC has come down on rates...
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r301958 ... speed-ISPs
Looks like they have, but the post kinda left out the cable component of the Google Fiber TV/Internet equivalency. The TWC 300/20 deal with entry cable is $130 per month for a year before it jumps way up and you have to search around for another "deal," compared to the 1000/1000 w/ cable deal from GF. I guess if you are expecting to move or for something better to come out, you don't have to pay an early cancellation like you might with Google Fiber. I've just found that never having to worry about the price changing randomly is worth not getting a "deal."

My cable/Internet went out for a week last month during the really nasty storm, which really sucked, but I have to say Google did eventually credit me $100 for being out that week (also perhaps because I called so many times to check on progress).
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

For those in single family homes in KCMO or KCK, has anyone registered not been hooked up yet? Sounds like they are mostly complete for first two cities, outside some apt buildings they are having issues with (building mgmt apparently).

Also, if you answered poll and situation changed, can change your answer above.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Google Fiber is moving out from the Google brand and into the Alphabet brand as a separate company. Wonder what that means?

Apparently I'm supposed to be hooked up this month. That's 18 months after I signed up. Ouch.

Just today they updated their map. They added a new Olathe East area and pushed back the rest of JoCo left to 2016. The Olathe requirements mostly all 100+ to sign up, even with some a good ways along.

In good news, the first section to be hooked up, the east KC area, has open signups. It looks like they have started doing that once initial construction has been completed. We're looking to move in a year and I don't want to lose this service. I want to move it with me.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

flyingember wrote:Google Fiber is moving out from the Google brand and into the Alphabet brand as a separate company. Wonder what that means?
I thought Google Fiber stays under the internet arm of Alphabet - Google. Did you see something that said otherwise?
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

It wasn't explicitly stated in Google's Alphabet's announcement, but the 8-K filing makes it clear that Fiber will be moved out of the Google brand.
Under the new operating structure, its main Google business will include search, ads, maps, apps, YouTube and Android and the related technical infrastructure (the “Google business”). Businesses such as Calico, Nest, and Fiber, as well as its investing arms, such as Google Ventures and Google Capital, and incubator projects, such as Google X, will be managed separately from the Google business.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

swid wrote:It wasn't explicitly stated in Google's Alphabet's announcement, but the 8-K filing makes it clear that Fiber will be moved out of the Google brand.
Under the new operating structure, its main Google business will include search, ads, maps, apps, YouTube and Android and the related technical infrastructure (the “Google business”). Businesses such as Calico, Nest, and Fiber, as well as its investing arms, such as Google Ventures and Google Capital, and incubator projects, such as Google X, will be managed separately from the Google business.
Thanks. Hadn't noticed that before. Will be interesting to see how things change for Fiber if at all.
joshmv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by joshmv »

I thought I'd be more upset about GF pushing back sign-ups in OP until 2016, but with the recent TWC upgrades I'm getting download speeds of 200+ mb/s, and I've had almost no downtime since I got here a year and a half ago.

I'll still sign up when they get here obviously, but with all of the issues suburban residents have had with the installers I'm going to be a little surprised if we have enough sign-ups.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

joshmv wrote:all of the issues suburban residents have had with the installers
I must be missing something. Is there a lot of issues with suburban installs these days?
joshmv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by joshmv »

KCtonic wrote:
joshmv wrote:all of the issues suburban residents have had with the installers
I must be missing something. Is there a lot of issues with suburban installs these days?
If you go to their facebook page you'll see a lot of people complaining about ripped up yards, long delays, no service, bad installers, and poor communication. Same for their google reviews, yelp page, etc. It seems to be getting worse now that they're in the suburbs which is predictable since we're talking about single family homes on large lots and people that spend a lot of time/money taking care of those lots.

I want it, and I'm willing to deal with the possible damage even being on a large corner lot, but a lot of people won't see much benefit so I really couldn't blame them for sticking with what they've got. I think most people would be surprised by how much communication residents here have with each other using sites like NextDoor. It doesn't take long for unhappy opinions to spread.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

They've been in the suburbs (yes all of the Northland and East of town really are suburbs) for quite a long time and I know they have had some problems, but based on the experience of fellow employee's at the company where I work most of the contractors are very good. Definitely a HUGE undertaking and there are a large number of contractors out there so your mileage may vary, but I imagine you are seeing all of the unhappy folk and none of the much larger group of happy installation customers.

I guess that now that they are in the JoCo version of suburbs there might be more unhappiness there. Hopefully your fellow neighbors won't ruin a good thing and not sign up. Just having it as an option at minimum adds competition which is completely worth it in my opinion.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

I haven't had any issues with the installation process, and I'm very thankful that for whatever minor inconveniences I have experienced my shit is all still completely underground.

However I do have some complaint with my hardware. I'm pretty sure I have whatever first generation equipment Google has and they won't voluntarily swap it out for me. As such I have big issues getting good wifi connection if I'm not in the actual room my network box (and tv box) is. It's kind of annoying that, even though I'm on an older laptop, I really don't get speeds any faster than my old 18 Mbps UVerse, oftentimes I don't even keep a consistent connection.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Can you use Apple Aiport Wi-Fi Router with Google Fibre?
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

ldai_phs wrote:Can you use Apple Aiport Wi-Fi Router with Google Fibre?
To my knowledge, you can use any router with Google Fiber. All will require some research or knowledge to configure exactly as you would like, but personal routers definitely work. You may try googling that question and seeing if anyone has had issues ("airport extreme" + "google fiber").
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The way they could not make routers work is to require MAC registration on their router and lock it down. But that would be a pain for a home environment
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

We have GF at our office and use our own router in place of the google box.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

bobbyhawks wrote:
ldai_phs wrote:Can you use Apple Aiport Wi-Fi Router with Google Fibre?
To my knowledge, you can use any router with Google Fiber. All will require some research or knowledge to configure exactly as you would like, but personal routers definitely work. You may try googling that question and seeing if anyone has had issues ("airport extreme" + "google fiber").
Yes you can use any WiFi router but preferably one that support 'AP mode' that puts the attached router on same segment as Google's router so that all devices can see each other. I use ASUS RT-AC68U that allows up to 400Mbps per device that supports AC WiFi. There is a newer one than that can do more than 400 (RT-AC87U) but is pricey, like over $230. Your devices need to support WiFi 802.11AC in order to usually get over 200Mbps.

The new Google AC router is still not all that impressive. It struggles to perform well outside room. They need to have external antennas to work well.

BTW, if you also have TV boxes in other rooms, you can turn on WiFi on those boxes to help spread coverage.

For those who have voted in the poll, check again at top of page if your situation has changed as you can change the 'vote'.