downtown vs burbs

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

downtown vs burbs

Post by macnw »

Found this article which paints an interesting picture of coming trends. Not sure where KC fits in the equation? Maybe there is hope for downtown commercial office space.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/companies ... 00326.html
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: downtown vs burbs

Post by earthling »

Many others are staying put in the suburbs but opening high-profile satellite offices in nearby cities, sometimes aided by tax breaks and a recession that tempered downtown rents. And upstart companies are following suit, according to urban planners. The bottom line: companies are under pressure to establish an urban presence that projects an image of dynamism and innovation.
Downtown KC has these opportunities - startups and branch offices, but I would not count on large 5K+ tenants (like, ahem, Cerner) as a trend for most downtowns.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

Here's an interesting article in todays paper. I hadn't heard of this guy before and I'm really amazed at this column.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/ne ... 3eebbd11-1

What an out dated mindset.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote:
Many others are staying put in the suburbs but opening high-profile satellite offices in nearby cities, sometimes aided by tax breaks and a recession that tempered downtown rents. And upstart companies are following suit, according to urban planners. The bottom line: companies are under pressure to establish an urban presence that projects an image of dynamism and innovation.
Downtown KC has these opportunities - startups and branch offices, but I would not count on large 5K+ tenants (like, ahem, Cerner) as a trend for most downtowns.
this is a smart position for the city to be in. space for a regional office. New York, Chicago, LA, Kansas City

they're also doubtless way more profitable to landlords and the city in terms of leased cost and tax breaks given.

a large company will want a discount for 5000 people from everyone. they'll want large amounts of parking all together. but bring in 20-100 person businesses and the cut is way smaller, it can be higher profit leasing, and you can find small blocks of parking or even push them to be transit friendly
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

cknab1 wrote:Here's an interesting article in todays paper. I hadn't heard of this guy before and I'm really amazed at this column.

Arguments like this are not worth much without considering the bigger picture. Whenever someone asks me about crime & the city, my response is that when you combine the possibility of injury in an automobile accident with the possibility of being a victim of crime, I am quite likely to be safer overall than they are. I may have to pay a higher percentage of my taxes towards public safety, but I also pay a much lower percentage of my taxes towards transportation. The columnist would also do well to muse if the suburbs will ever have the same degree of transportation freedom that the urban core enjoys.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

It just seemed like he had such a mindset that suburbs = safe and city= dangerous. As if living in the suburbs guaranteed that you would not suffer any crime. And that we in the city lived in fear. I feel completely safe in the city. I’m glad he asked a group of lawyers when he thought the city would be a safe place to live. I wonder if any of them lived in the city. A lot of people are 15, 20 years behind the reality of living in the city is all about. The entire city is not 64127, etc.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Eon Blue wrote: Arguments like this are not worth much without considering the bigger picture. Whenever someone asks me about crime & the city, my response is that when you combine the possibility of injury in an automobile accident with the possibility of being a victim of crime, I am quite likely to be safer overall than they are. I may have to pay a higher percentage of my taxes towards public safety, but I also pay a much lower percentage of my taxes towards transportation. The columnist would also do well to muse if the suburbs will ever have the same degree of transportation freedom that the urban core enjoys.
traffic deaths are so high that you're more likely to die driving to any water destination, pool, lake, river, than die on the water
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Americans have just become wimps. One is less likely to die by crime or in a vehicular accident now, than one was in the 1960s or '70s.

Crime rates are at the lowest rate since the 60s. People are more likely to be murdered by a spouse, or family member than in some random crime. Cops will tell you that people who keep guns in their home are more likely to die from that (accident, suicide, or family member shooting them) than in gun violence from a stranger.

Vehicles are so much safer now than in the past, so you are less likely to die in one. People don't drink and drive at the rates they did in past decades. Most forms of travel are safer.

In fact, Americans are less likely to die for unpredictable medical reasons than in the past. Death from heart attacks and strokes were much more common. Large numbers of people don't die from flu, pneumonia, and tuberculosis--as in past times. Many people can live fairly long with diabetes and cancer. I have a cousin who has had cancer three different times in her life, and she's still alive. If she died today, she would have had the normal lifespan of a woman in the year of her birth, and then some. She may even live longer than a woman born today can expect. She's 75, and she is still working--even though she doesn't have to do it.

Death from predictable and avoidable causes due to lifestyle may be the only thing on the rise: obesity, lack of exercise.

Americans seem to be afraid of everything nowadays. I think it's the 24-hour news cycle, where ratings-driven crime stories, shootings, and abductions in other places fill the airwaves.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

cknab1 wrote:The entire city is not 64127, etc.
All of 64127 is not even what you're trying to use 64127 to illustrate.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

When I think of the dangers from crime around the work place my mind jumps to workplace shootings. Somehow I doubt either the burbs vs the city hold any monopolies on crazy, pissed off, armed employees.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

cknab1 wrote:Here's an interesting article in todays paper. I hadn't heard of this guy before and I'm really amazed at this column.

Even after living here for five years, it continues to baffle me as to why so many metro-area suburbanites are terrified of downtown. You'd think that the Sprint Center/P&L would have taken care of that, but...guess not.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

swid wrote:

Even after living here for five years, it continues to baffle me as to why so many metro-area suburbanites are terrified of downtown. You'd think that the Sprint Center/P&L would have taken care of that, but...guess not.
The number one reason why there so terrified is the Parking, I guarantee you it's parking. The plaza has screwed us up when it comes to parking downtown.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It's a completely irrational fear.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

swid wrote:

big empty spaces scare people. you're walking into a garage and you have no idea who's there.

when you have a large crowd you have safety in number
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

flyingember wrote:when you have a large crowd you have safety in number
Also known as "if the bogeyman comes, odds are he'll pick on somebody else".
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Have him write about Suburb Tax.....car accidents, gas cost, etc.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Crime decreases in KCMO in first half of 2014

Overall, violent and property crime down 12 percent.

Homicides down 32 percent.

Rapes down 25 percent.

Robberies down 10 percent.

Property crimes down 13 percent.

http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/opn-c ... 02095.html

https://twitter.com/MayorSlyJames/statu ... 00/photo/1