OFFICIAL - Power & Light Apartments

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: P&L Building

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I get that in the age of internet readership they have to make headlines interesting enough to click on. But when the headline suggests something 180 degrees different than the content, I think you have a serious ethics problem.
If called out on it I am sure the might acknowledge that it was misleading but then claim it was accidental rather than an intentional appeal to a certain core of their readership. However, if you pay attention to the headlines day-to-day, that defense doesn't hold much water.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

LenexatoKCMO wrote:I get that in the age of internet readership they have to make headlines interesting enough to click on. But when the headline suggests something 180 degrees different than the content, I think you have a serious ethics problem.
If called out on it I am sure the might acknowledge that it was misleading but then claim it was accidental rather than an intentional appeal to a certain core of their readership. However, if you pay attention to the headlines day-to-day, that defense doesn't hold much water.
You should shoot an email over to Derek Donovan at the Star relating the same.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

In defense of the headline. Nothing on the remodel has happened yet and we have had several false starts with the PnL Building getting redone.

How about " LAST TENANT LEAVE POWER AND LIGHT BUILDING - AHEAD OF REMODEL"
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

shinatoo wrote:In defense of the headline. Nothing on the remodel has happened yet and we have had several false starts with the PnL Building getting redone.

Ahhhnnn! Don't go there Shinatoo.

Forumers are rightfully calling out the Star for 'Foxing' a headline. There is a relatively recent pattern of this behavior, which is damaging to the community and inexcusable.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

loftguy wrote:There is a relatively recent pattern of this behavior, which is damaging to the community and inexcusable.
Guessing it's 140-character driven. It's a great clickhole headline.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

loftguy wrote:
shinatoo wrote:In defense of the headline. Nothing on the remodel has happened yet and we have had several false starts with the PnL Building getting redone.

Ahhhnnn! Don't go there Shinatoo.

Forumers are rightfully calling out the Star for 'Foxing' a headline. There is a relatively recent pattern of this behavior, which is damaging to the community and inexcusable.
Oh, I went there!
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

If you want to own your very own Kansas City Power & Light Building: http://www.replicabuildings.com/proddet ... 434&cat=25
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

moderne wrote:If you want to own your very own Kansas City Power & Light Building: http://www.replicabuildings.com/proddet ... 434&cat=25
That is actually really cool, and the rest of that website could really get me in trouble.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

moderne wrote:If you want to own your very own Kansas City Power & Light Building: http://www.replicabuildings.com/proddet ... 434&cat=25
Kansas City Power and Light was to have a twin tower built on its windowless side, but the Great Depression halted the plans.
The rumor that won't die.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

chaglang wrote:
Kansas City Power and Light was to have a twin tower built on its windowless side, but the Great Depression halted the plans.
Rumor?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

im2kull wrote:
chaglang wrote:
Rumor?
the article is 4-5 pages back

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/b ... 9&page=all
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Northpoint closed on the building today and turned on a color changing light on the top!!!!!
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

NorthPoint gets to work on Power & Light Building

http://tinyurl.com/n8zwyrd
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

I made a point to drive downtown last night and I didn't see any color changing lights on top. The red light looked a little sharper though.

I did notice the buildings were decked out on blue for the Royals.....looked very awesome.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

http://metrowiremedia.com/bringing-mult ... ight-plan/
“Our plan was to come in with a five-story garage that suits the parking needs for our project, and the Hotel President had a need for 100 stalls, so we cut a deal,” Pomerenke said. “The Hotel President is one of the most successful TIF projects in the Kansas City-area, so meeting with Ron Jury and understanding the finances of that TIF and what the capacity was to do more with it, we hatched a plan for this 5-story garage, with 400 stalls on floors 2 through 5 and Hotel President having the basement level. That allows us to capture existing TIF income to subsidize the infrastructure needs of project.”
A great example of how shared parking saved everyone money and moves downtown forward
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

same article
A 3,000-square-foot clubhouse on the 32nd floor will house a bar, piano, and sundeck as well as a 360-degree terrace with the most stunning views of Kansas City.
there's a photo of the view. given what's around it, it's going to take a big deal project to the south to cut that view

the article is worth it just for the photos
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The former auditorium inside the P & L tower. The space has since been filled in.

chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

I've been in there a few times. It's a dreary, weird space now. I wonder if there is anything worth salvaging underneath the drywall.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The article photo caption incorrectly states that it was the tallest west of the Mississippi for 50 years. Only the tallest in KC for 50 years. Dont understand the concern about the former power plant as it was south of the Crowne Plaza and not in the foot print of this project. To get the $2.00 s/f rents they are going to have to persuade people with Kirkwood and Alameda incomes to move DT.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

moderne wrote: Dont understand the concern about the former power plant as it was south of the Crowne Plaza and not in the foot print of this project.
power plants don't exist in a vaccuum. You have all sorts of related utility pipes and such that will run from the plant.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of them follow the alley.