Downtown Entertainment

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Downtown Entertainment

Post by flyingember »

There's been discussions here and there about more entertainment options downtown being needed.

There's a lot to like about KC tourism
We have a decent music scene from the Kauffman Center to Westport
Science City is a respectful Children's Museum
The WW1 museum is outstanding
First Fridays + the Nelson/Kemper + the major art fairs gives us a quality arts scene.
There's the niche Toy and Minature, Steamboat Arabia museums
There's a quality sports environment from racing to Big 12
The antique scene is growing rapidly

We don't have:
1. Riverfront or lakefront tours
2. A history focus. There's no Freedom Trail, Civil War Battlefield or such
3. Natural wonder
4. Top of the top event

It seems to me we have three possible areas
1. Museums
2. outside entertainment.
3. regional event

What does a museum look like? Are we trying to have the best one of something in the Midwest that every city has and draws locals or such a unique museum that people have to come to KC for whatever this is?

A regional event is great but most are one weekend a year. Is there a way to do another monthly event like First Fridays?

What does an entertainment destination look like. Are we talking KC's take on Coney Island or Navy Pier (Chicago)? Something like City Museum in St. Louis? What does this look like?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Downtown Entertainment

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Wonder if we could support a place like Medieval Times? We are one of the smallest metros that supports our own Ren Faire, think something like this would be just as popular. We would definitely pull in people from Des Moines, Omaha, St Louis. Not sure where it would go though, it would be nice to be downtown. The one in Dallas, is not really in an uber suburban area like an OP, its in Dallas but in kind of a weird area off the interstate.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

StrangerThings wrote:Downtown is in desperate need of a legit 500-1100 person music venue. Not an old redone bar with poor sight lines and a stage in the corner, but a real venue that consistently (2-6 shows per week) brings in national level talent. There's a big hole in that market right now and well, since the Beaumont shut down.
In the post-2000 tradition of "Omaha builds something nice and KC eventually builds the same nice thing, but larger", we're well overdue for our own version of Slowdown.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Is that what the new record bar does?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I think the new rb will fit the bill once it's kitchen is open and they have more regular hours.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I would respectfully disagree that downtown or the urban core has any type of respectable sporting events/infrastructure. All of the stadia are in far flung locations 10-20 min from downtown. Sporting Park would have been a perfect fit downtown and the only recent opportunity to correct this outside of putting a team in Sprint Center, but even that was never really a realistic option for those involved in the process. The answer here is to build a new stadium, or acquire a team for Sprint, both improbable options, even long-term.

Also, downtown proper needs another cultural anchor or three outside the performing arts. A million great ideas - a natural history museum a la Prairefire, an architecture/design center, a greater presence for Kemper in the Xroads, the Rabbit Hole (children's book experiential playland a la City Museum), a Botanical Garden tied to Powell and larger than Kauffman, a legit Jazz Hall of Fame and Museum, a BBQ Hall of Fame, etc. You would think Jazz and BBQ would have been done and done well by now, but that is not really the case.

And finally, outdoor recreational amenities like an extensive off-street bike path (think Cultural Trail in Indy or just extension of Trolley Track), boathouse on the KS river, active MO Riverfront park that is more than empty land, heavy renovations/trails in Penn Valley Park inclusive of Broadway crossing and maybe boat rental in lake.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

An Architecture Museum is actually a fantastic idea, especially with in an emphasis on sports considering the firms we have in KC. That's something I would definitely go to when travelling and I've never really even heard of one.

And I can't believe we don't have a Botanical Garden.

Also, Laugh-o-Gram Studios really needs to get done, not only just because it's a good idea but because it would transform 31st & Troost.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Isn't Powell gardens a "botanical gardens"? Pretty far away though

The ad museum that BR floated about a decade ago would have been great.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Would love to finally see a good aquarium in the KC star building whenever print newspaper finally dies. Also, is there a national Native American history museum? Would be a great place to put it here on the plains. And Cerner will never do anything for DT. They give us the scaps with Sporting Innovation but have no intention of ever helping the core in any useful way with jobs or development. The funny thing is, the new hires that they desperately need all want to live and work DT. Some smart executive is going to see an opportunity to poach smart young employees from them by building a headquarters building DT in the, perhaps near,future.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Interesting...thanks.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Yes, very interesting, appreciate your input.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote: Also, is there a national Native American history museum? .
On the national mall, yes
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

KC/Lawrence split has been a thorn in our sides since forever. Nothing to do with venues, more to do with college-age demographics.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

What I wouldn't give for a commuter train to Lawrence. I'd go up there for a weekend day trip or concert all the time.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Which gets you into Grinders range, which is likely another culprit in the kc/lawrence split, with pipeline promoting shows in lawrence as well.

The Folly is an also an option. Seems like there's more to it than just venue size.

I'm not sure there's enough acts that fit your bill that could keep a new space busy as many nights a week as you think. Would probably need a second purpose, theater or brew pub maybe. I'd rather see something like RB expand or go to 2 night stands.

And I have a hard time believing Steve Tulipana would put up with a sub-par sound system.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

I don't blame them for not trying it when they moved/consolidated locations, but given that the current iteration of Screenland Crossroads Tapcade is already both a theater and a bar/restaurant, it seems like they missed an opportunity to have a concert venue in the missing size range being discussed.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

Hopefully the Madrid can start picking up some shows again, their capacity is 800. Haven't been there to know how good of a show it is but I saw that they had a number of concerts earlier this year but it looks like their calendar is empty now.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

That's the weird part, the Folly does a lot of music and the sight lines are fantastic. Mostly Cypress Avenue and public radio offerings. Again, it's a promoter thing.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

flyingember wrote:There's been discussions here and there about more entertainment options downtown being needed.

We don't have:
3. Natural wonder
4. Top of the top event
Kansas City was site of the Battle of Westport, known as the "Gettysburg of the West."

The battle took place over a large area, including much of the Country Club District.

There is a cannon in Loose Park and a plaque about the Battle. When I was a kid there was talk of the tree groves being haunted by the solders.

But it is not promoted that much. There's no museum. And maybe not that many people even know about it!?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Midtownkid wrote:
flyingember wrote:There's been discussions here and there about more entertainment options downtown being needed.

We don't have:
3. Natural wonder
4. Top of the top event
Kansas City was site of the Battle of Westport, known as the "Gettysburg of the West."

The battle took place over a large area, including much of the Country Club District.

There is a cannon in Loose Park and a plaque about the Battle. When I was a kid there was talk of the tree groves being haunted by the solders.

But it is not promoted that much. There's no museum. And maybe not that many people even know about it!?
I was more thinking a Gettysburg style of battlefield in a giant organized national park. Springfield has one that's a good example.