Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by shaffe »

KCPowercat wrote:Stadium could fit if you take out some industrial buildings on the south side of 19th. That would be the size of current Kauffman land currently (zero parking)
Would it face slightly northwest to get a good outfield view? If there was ever commuter rail into Union Station that would be a great place to put a transit stop. Would need some pretty big improvements to the pedestrian experience in the immediate area though. Might also require tearing down Oak between Gilham and 19th.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote:Lol thinking the royals will be satisfied with Kauffman for 20 years
Their lease is up in 2030 or so. The new stadium discussion will begin in 10-12 years.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

only one park in the MLB has centerfield even slightly west of due north from home plate, as far as i know (houston - has a retractable roof). rulebook suggests eastern view.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

flyingember wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:Lol thinking the royals will be satisfied with Kauffman for 20 years
Their lease is up in 2030 or so. The new stadium discussion will begin in 10-12 years.
I doubt the Royals would wait until 3 or fewer years remain on the lease to start the discussion. My guess is the discussion will begin well before 2025 (possibly by as soon as 2020) and will be greatly influenced by the impact of emerging transportation technologies. If cars can drop people off nearby and drive somewhere else, the entire revenue through a giant parking lot scheme is diminished. Working deals/exclusive partnerships with someone like Uber/Lyft may be more profitable. I'm pretty sure Jackson County would be willing to let them break the lease if they committed to something like a downtown stadium, and the Royals would be able to try to build a Royals-owned Wrigleyville-esque development with a sports/bar district outside the stadium. A guy can dream, but I do think that transportation technology and the limited opportunity in the off-season for revenue may play a role in the evolution of management's satisfaction with the current location.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Parking accessibility around new tech will play way less of a role than you think. If self driving tech was introduced next year it will be 30-40 years to hit critical mass. Backup cameras are 25 years old, they will only hit near saturation through a federal mandate, its a good example because self-driving relies on cameras. If self driving was coming rapidly we would see more cameras in cars today so carmakers could understand the tech. If the discussion begins in 5-10 years these ideas won't even be of interest.

Remember, parking is a huge money maker, so they're incentivized to keep this income. Self driving doesn't mean it won't be parked at a stadium anyways. The car I own park and drive me will make up 90% of car trips. There's only so much car sharing that the market can afford.

Uber makes up approx 1 in 1000 cars and 1 in 10k trips and that includes much more dense cities, KC is likely skewed even more. There's a saturation of drivers relative to the impact already with 0.1% car coverage. While doubtful things won't change come, today 100% of trips by car hailing will take more cars than we have. There's little chance of a critical mass of ride hailing to work at today's density too.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

"I'm pretty sure Jackson County would be willing to let them break the lease"

Not while debt is still outstanding. Besides self driving cars may have the opposite effect than you desire.
Let's see, how many cars will the Royals park for a sellout? Can you imagine how many cars would be descending onto the premises after a game, and paying for a second admission. Of course there is the problem of extra-long games and extra innings.
miz.jordan17
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by miz.jordan17 »

Sporting KC moves HQ to new downtown location, 2020 Baltimore, assuming that this leaves the building next to the new Courtyard empty.
http://www.sportingkc.com/post/2017/01/ ... own-office
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

miz.jordan17 wrote:Sporting KC moves HQ to new downtown location, 2020 Baltimore, assuming that this leaves the building next to the new Courtyard empty.
http://www.sportingkc.com/post/2017/01/ ... own-office
nope. it's full of fan three sixty employees (they're growing).
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

noticed new lighting on the Hemingway Building. Worst fixtures ever. Very bland, oversized, cylinder style fixtures. They look terrible.

They also replaced that interesting wood door with a glass storefront.

Looks like the cool little canopy at the corner entrance is not coming back either. :-(
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The building on the NE corner of E. 18th and Locust was hit today by a car crashing into it. What is it about 18th Street that this seems to happen frequently? This building apparently has been hit three times in the past year and a half. Then there is the building at the SE corner of 18th and Oak that was damaged, and is finally getting repaired now.

http://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/car ... crossroads

Last edited by FangKC on Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

our roads are too big
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

18th & 19th are the only streets that enter the Crossroads from the east, thanks to 71. 19th Street peters out before it even gets to Prospect, so 18th is a collector for any kind of mischief by default.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

18th is also 35mph from Main eastward, encouraging high speed travel
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Eon Blue wrote:18th & 19th are the only streets that enter the Crossroads from the east, thanks to 71. 19th Street peters out before it even gets to Prospect, so 18th is a collector for any kind of mischief by default.

Very true... but in this case the stolen car was flying in from the south, and in the 18th & Oak case the stolen car was flying in from the north.

I haven't heard any followup but the original carjacking in this case happened 3 blocks from where a murder victim was found earlier the same morning, I've been curious if there is a connection or if that was just a coincidence.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Couldn't find a mention of it earlier in this thread, but the 8-unit (or was it 6?), $1 million a piece condo development that was in the works for the blue and yellow lots below is now dead, from what I've heard.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

DaveKCMO wrote:1818 and 1822 main purchased, will be renovated for retail/office: http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 38113.html
The buildings will be subdivided. Construction is scheduled to start in mid-March.
Did the sale of 1818-1822 Main never happen? I still see the Aron Real Estate signage advertising the property almost a year later.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Critical_Mass wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:1818 and 1822 main purchased, will be renovated for retail/office: http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 38113.html
The buildings will be subdivided. Construction is scheduled to start in mid-March.
Did the sale of 1818-1822 Main never happen? I still see the Aron Real Estate signage advertising the property almost a year later.
still hung up in court over a tax lien (or something like that).
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Progress on reconstruction of the damaged building on the SE corner of 18th and Oak. Photo taken Thursday, Feb. 16, 2017.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Weird to think the most monumental thing to happen to east crossroads is a car crash. Cheers to STL for rehabbing this building.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Affäre got a new paint job and sign.