Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Westport's fate post-P&L

Post by beautyfromashes »

I was thinking a Metcalf South shopping center feel. I would call that 1980 suburban, but apparently there's a hang up on the terminology.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

lock+load wrote:
beautyfromashes wrote:IDK, I think in this case it might be justified. Looking at the picture, I realize that I never even have noticed the hotel. A more modern, bright exterior probably will draw more people to the hotel. Plus, it's not like its any architectural gem. It's time to kill 1980.
I think your post proves the original point exactly. What's not old enough to be "historic" now is quickly discarded or changed, while the next generation might be trying to reverse those changes.
People are going to want to tear this building down for the next 25 years, and then a thread will pop up on the 2039 KC Rag advocating saving it.

That 30-60 year time period is what my colleague called the Valley of the Shadow of Demolition.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Yeah, and we'll probably cry about that "architectural gem", Bannister Mall.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Very few commercial buildings are improved by updating what is perceived as a dated appearance.

The reason is because the updates, or modernized look, will become dated in a few years as well.

Very often, the modernization ends up using cheap materials and it just ends up looking worse than the original building.

Cities are supposed to have buildings from different eras. That is what makes them dynamic. Architecture tells the story of a city's development and history.
slimwhitman
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by slimwhitman »

The old El Rancho (RIP) space is being remodeled right now for Pie Five.
http://www.piefivepizza.com/locations/
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^What's going in a few doors down, next to Which Wich? Major overhaul of exterior.
slimwhitman
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by slimwhitman »

earthling wrote:^What's going in a few doors down, next to Which Wich? Major overhaul of exterior.
I am guessing some flashing/wall repair, but I am not for sure. I have not heard about a new tenant in the space.
...why would they make a repair like this if the high-rise housing proposal shown a few pages back was going to happen. So it was probably more a pipe dream than anything.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Andy's Custard, which was initially going to go in the old filling station directly west of the Westport QT is now going in on the NW corner of Holly and Westport Rd. The old car repair shop has been completely leveled and concrete parking lot being torn up. Wonder if the filling station is completely unworkable or did a better offer come up at the new location? Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing the new building transform this area.

Now if only someone would do something with the Berbiglia (sp?) - that place is a hole and nearly completely empty inside.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

1940 tax assessment photo of the Giles Theater, which was located at 1714 West 39th Street, Kansas City. After the theater closed, the building was remodeled for retail businesses. The facade was demolished, and part of the building removed to accommodate parking.

The remaining structure is now a laundromat.

http://tinyurl.com/ptm6f7z
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

kcjak wrote: Now if only someone would do something with the Berbiglia (sp?) - that place is a hole and nearly completely empty inside.
How does that Berbiglia even survive? Gomers is probably the liquor store leader in the westport area, berbiglia is a ripoff as well.
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 »

I go to berbiglia all the time. I can walk there and aside from it being bigger than it needs to be, it serves the neighborhood well. Just saying, being a person that patronizes this establishment. :-|
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

atticus23 wrote:I go to berbiglia all the time. I can walk there and aside from it being bigger than it needs to be, it serves the neighborhood well. Just saying, being a person that patronizes this establishment. :-|
Go to Mike's instead. They special order things for customers and keep a much better variety in stock. The spirits and wine sections of that Berbiglia are a joke. The Quick Trip has a better selection.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I've noticed that the former Gusto/Johnny Dare's space is being renovated - no idea what's taking the space. Would love to see Westport continue to develop more retail presence, personally. Would also like to see a concerted effort to bridge Broadway and make the two "sides" of WP less separate.

The new bar additions have really been fantastic, however (Julep, Ca Va, Ale House, Bridgers aka Local Pig), and have changed the mix for the better in WP. Hoping for good things from Char Bar.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Looks like the strip center where Freebirds is located is undergoing updates to the exterior of the entire facade, not just the new space next to Which Wich and Pie Five.
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

kcjak wrote:Looks like the strip center where Freebirds is located is undergoing updates to the exterior of the entire facade, not just the new space next to Which Wich and Pie Five.
....and Pie Five opened today.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Time Warner Cable store going in the space. Real exciting.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

If only Time Warner Cable would have had a store close by when I had there service and needed to swap boxes four times a year...
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

I emerged from my new-parent cocoon Saturday evening to see Thee Oh Sees at the Riot Room. I was early, so I walked around Westport to try and find a place to belly up and have a beer or two to kill time before heading into the Riot Room. There was not a single barstool available at foundry, mccoys, harry's, or beer kitchen, and only one open at Port Fonda (which I took). This was about 7:30pm. The entire area was hopping and it was clear there were lots of folks from out of town around. Very refreshing to see. The Riot Room was also packed to the gills for the show, which was nice.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

There was a pub crawl in wesport on Saturday for Blvd's 25th anniversary.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

rxlexi wrote:I've noticed that the former Gusto/Johnny Dare's space is being renovated - no idea what's taking the space.
thank god they removed that awful contraption on the facade!