Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
studentper
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by studentper »

kcjak wrote:
studentper wrote:Ingredient closed (permanently) today. Might have happened some time ago, but workers were moving out supplies over lunch.
Bread & Butter Concepts (Gram & Dunn, Taco Republic, etc.) is opening Republica in that location. The Star said it would feature Spanish food with a twist - and not just tapas, thankfully.
cool. thanks.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

I'm sure I'm not the first one to notice this, but cynical me notes that they should update their slogan to:

"Bread & Butter Concepts: Shamelessly ripping off other Kansas City restaurants since 2010"
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

swid wrote:I'm sure I'm not the first one to notice this, but cynical me notes that they should update their slogan to:

"Bread & Butter Concepts: Shamelessly ripping off other Kansas City restaurants since 2010"
but, but... "with a twist" :roll:
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

swid wrote:I'm sure I'm not the first one to notice this, but cynical me notes that they should update their slogan to:

Yeah, i have been saying that for years that Bread and Butter just rips off other successful concepts and markets it them to the JoCo crowd. I'd expect them to hop on the Gourmet BBQ bandwagon any moment and open a Q39 or Char Bar type restaurant in PV
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

studentper wrote:Ingredient closed (permanently) today. Might have happened some time ago, but workers were moving out supplies over lunch.

Being taken over by another bread and butter Spanish concept (Republica?)
mykn

Post by mykn »

brewcrew1000 wrote:

Yeah, i have been saying that for years that Bread and Butter just rips off other successful concepts and markets it them to the JoCo crowd. I'd expect them to hop on the Gourmet BBQ bandwagon any moment and open a Q39 or Char Bar type restaurant in PV
Woah, I didn't realize this until just now...
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

I noticed they are keeping the details on the old Halls building, as of now.

Hope they are there to stay, not just awaiting to be carefully removed and sold somewhere
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

given the rest is down to concrete, I would be surprised if anything else on the front comes down.
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

Midtownkid wrote:Image

Hope they are there to stay, not just awaiting to be carefully removed and sold somewhere
Whoa. This is the first image of construction I've seen on Plaza 211. I'm glad progress is finally being made.

Unfortunately, the moorish archways will be removed from the retail side of the building. According to Slaggie Architects, they may be repurposed elsewhere, like the back or near the entrances to the parking garage.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

msmith011 wrote:

Unfortunately, the moorish archways will be removed from the retail side of the building. According to Slaggie Architects, they may be repurposed elsewhere, like the back or near the entrances to the parking garage.
Are you basing that on the renderings or conversations with someone at the firm? I wonder if their renderings don't include the arches just for the sake of time (take too long to render those ETR details)
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

msmith011 wrote:According to Slaggie Architects, they may be repurposed elsewhere, like the back or near the entrances to the parking garage.
Merica!
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Hope its not the case but I always expect the worst out of Highwoods. A poorer steward of the Plaza would be difficult to find if you were looking for one. Not to say JC Nichols didn't compromise (the Saks building) but Highwoods does not at all appear wedded to the Spanish design concept or high end retail, or even retail at all for that matter. Their concept seems to be more traditional dense suburban America like something you would find in Clayton. Not looking forward to seeing what this building looks like when it's finished. It's Highwood's first chance to rebuild something on the Plaza (excepting the Saks building which could not get any worse) - I don't expect it's going to be anything that many will find acceptable.
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

MidtownKid wrote:Are you basing that on the renderings or conversations with someone at the firm? I wonder if their renderings don't include the arches just for the sake of time (take too long to render those ETR details)
I based my statement on the various videos posted on Country Club Plaza's YouTube (Plaza 211 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QWZJ9HXPwo) and also what I've read in articles online.

However, I could be wrong. After all, changes occur and renderings are just that - renderings. I love the archways and I'd love for them to stay. However, I worry that potential tenants care more about their own storefront's design than the archways. Especially the "exclusive," "upscale," and "one-of-a-kind" tenants that Highwoods is trying to bring in.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

To me the renovations make the block look more apparentlly a parking garage with some shops shoehorned onto one side. It think the future will be sorry for the loss of a more sensitive mid century mondern forunner of post-moderne.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Plaza manager: Keeping it fresh through changing times
The Country Club Plaza, which Highwoods owns, also has seen its fair share of changes.

"We've gone to a lot more national-type stores because there's not as many locals around as there used to be," he said.

Asked whether the switch to more national chains has negatively affected the Plaza, Stephenson said "the cash register never lies."

"At the end of the day, you push the total button, the drawer opens up, and there's either cash in there or not cash in there," he said. "When I first came here (nearly 18 years ago), our sales per square foot were around $200 a foot, and today they're approximately $560 a foot. You see the growth."

The Plaza also has moved toward more exclusive stores, and currently, more than 50 percent of the stores on the Plaza have signed exclusive agreements, meaning they can't open another location within a 10- to 15-mile radius. Another change has been switching up the merchandise mix to target the tourist business.

"Forty-two percent of our business is tourists, so we're looking for product they cannot find in Des Moines, Lincoln, Omaha, Topeka or Wichita," Stephenson said. "We're the suppliers for those midtown areas, so when they come to Kansas City they can find a product that they can't find in their own cities."

The Plaza is negotiating contracts with additional tenants, and Stephenson expects to add at least 10 to 15 stores this year. "The occupancy rate of the Country Club Plaza is north of 96 percent," he said. "I see nothing but good things in the future."
http://tinyurl.com/nycdza9
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

fyi; i swung by the plaza yesterday and all of the old details were taken down. I think however they will be incorporating it onto the sides of the building. If you look at the sketches on the slaggie architect site that appears to be where they have placed it.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Vineyard Vines opening on the Plaza
It is taking a 3,825-square-foot space at 4700 Broadway, former home of A/X Armani Exchange. It plans a June opening.y
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

Boring. That would have made more sense back in 2006 or so when the uber-preppy thing was in style. I wish we would get something new or unique.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Midtownkid wrote:Boring. That would have made more sense back in 2006 or so when the uber-preppy thing was in style. I wish we would get something new or unique.
Still wildly popular. See people wearing Vineyard everywhere. Maybe not midtown hipsters. :D