Whole Foods mixed-use project @ 51/Oak

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Whole Foods mixed-use project @ 51/Oak

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

The ridge that caused the problems was over 43rd St. Don't believe that street was a boulevard. Anyway, trucks could go on boulevards as long as it was going to or from a destination on the boulevard.
slimwhitman
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by slimwhitman »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:Anyway, trucks could go on boulevards as long as it was going to or from a destination on the boulevard.
I recall a story on the local news in the late '80s about someone that lived on a boulevard and owned an El Camino (a car with a pickup bed). Since those are titled as a "truck", they technically could not leave their driveway without fearing a citation. That was before everyone drove SUVs and pickups as daily transportation.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Up for approval in Tuesday.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Elevations and street-level views of this project are available around page 47 of this document.

The Whole Foods takes up the entire northern side of the project first floor. The main entrance is at the corner of Brookside and 51st. This corner of the 7-story building is an inset curve. It looks like every unit in the building has an outdoor patio/balcony. There are other entrances to the Whole Foods on the 51st side and along Oak. The building wraps around parking similar to the 51st and Main project, except here the parking side faces south. Randomly spaced long decorative wooden slats are intended to obscure the parking area from the south. The Oak side of the project has multiple garages entrances and a large garage area for loading/unloading, plus the smaller entrance to the Whole Foods and the small office component of this building.

KCDowntown
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The project has been bumped up from 150 units to 170 units. Kickoff later this month, not clear if that means just an announcement...

Whole Foods-apartment project readies for public kickoff - Kansas City Business Journal
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

is that smaller units or bigger building?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

This is latest rendering...

This is an older one...
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Since Whole Foods has been kind of slumping recently, is it possible that this location could be tabbed for one of its cheaper alternative locations that they want to open and gear toward millennials. Whole Foods isn't even the largest organic grocer anymore, its Costco
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I was wondering the same, WF had a poor last quarter and may slow down expansion. They are now rolling out smaller stores with a different concept targeting Millenials. This one is 45K sqft, which I think is a smaller one for them but not as small as new concept. Otherwise I could still see the project going forward as a luxury residential project w/out a tenant. Would be nice to see Trader Joe's in there, though the Ward Parkway store is pretty close - NKC or downtown makes more sense. Sprouts maybe? They are expanding, I've never been to one.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Downtown Consentino's is 36k for comparison
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I would love to see a Sprout's or a smaller WF in Westport/Midtown. Maybe renovate the old Applemarket/Valentine space.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Yes, any kind of market would be great in Valentine shops, especially now with Armour upgrading to market rate apts. As urban core returns, is time to bring back more small neighborhood markets within walking/biking distance if even corner markets. The prices will be higher than larger stores to survive but real functional urban neighborhoods have basic amenities within walking/biking distance.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

SIAP but what happens to KinLin?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The project is across the street.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I'm not sure midtown can support another grocery store without a lot of new population.

Within approx. 4 miles driving from the north Kansas city high school there's nine grocery stores. these are full sized stores
red x
hyvee
price chopper
sams
target
festival
sun fresh
walmart
save a lot

centered basically on midtown, with a similar distance is at least nine stores and a number of smaller stores. you might notice I left off The Sundry and a bunch of ethnic stores
Aldi's
Consentinos
westport sun fresh(?)
brookside store
Whole Foods
save a lot
thriftway
aldi's
apple market
Last edited by flyingember on Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah, I've been talking in order to have a true urban neighborhood with such amenities in walking/biking distance, not driving - more density may be required. Union Hill and N End of Midtown could use a small market, and center or N end of The Plaza would be nice, the rest is pretty well covered.

Back to UMKC project, The Star just posted more details...
http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 68728.html
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

flyingember wrote:I'm not sure midtown can support another grocery store without a lot of new population.
I feel there is enough population to support another grocery store, albeit more in the line of Fresh Market, Sprouts or Green Acres (still being built in Westwood?). Right now Sunfresh is the only place many of us shop and it's a LOT pricier than when I drive to Price Chopper in Roeland Park. And Roeland Park also has the Walmart Mkt, Aldi, Target, Hy-Vee and soon Sprouts all within a short drive - with less population density than midtown.

I'm willing to pay a little more for better produce, meat, etc., and I'm OK with Sunfresh, but I'd prefer some options - for the times when Sunfresh gets old or I don't feel like dealing with long lines or a bunch of crazy.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Breaking ground this week...
http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 59837.html

Do they actually have signed agreement with Whole Foods? WF not doing too well lately.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

flyingember wrote:I'm not sure midtown can support another grocery store without a lot of new population.

Within approx. 4 miles driving from the north Kansas city high school there's nine grocery stores. these are full sized stores
red x
hyvee
price chopper
sams
target
festival
sun fresh
walmart
save a lot

centered basically on midtown, with a similar distance is at least nine stores and a number of smaller stores. you might notice I left off The Sundry and a bunch of ethnic stores
Aldi's
Consentinos
westport sun fresh(?)
brookside store
Whole Foods
save a lot
thriftway
aldi's
apple market
You forgot Walmart Supermarket. Unfortunately, I know this because it's the only place left on your list where I'll buy produce. And if you're going to count Save a Lot and Thriftway, you may as well include Linwood Superfoods. Hen House in Fairway may also be in range.

And you could be right about the math. But, a well run midtown location with decent produce could pull customers away from the horrific places like Sun Fresh. That place could use some competition.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

wow, when was that built in Kansas. yes, that should be on the list

while there's clearly room for certain demographic-specific stores, there's not a lack of grocery stores for midtown.