Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Westport's fate post-P&L

Post by kcjak »

With the exception of weekend lunch and dinner there is always a spot or two open directly in front of Panera, in the World Market lot or in the lot by Freebirds. I agree with the remarks that St Luke's hoards too many spots from Westport businesses when they own other empty, undeveloped lots, but the real issue is slow business traffic, not accessibility.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I ate at that Panera several times circa 2009 and never parked in the lot that is being developed. I usually parked in the seemingly perpetually empty Chili's-nay-Freebirds lot.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

beautyfromashes wrote:No one is going to walk from the Mill Street garage to the old Panera if they are going to take out. That location was killed when St. Lukes put up the Thunderdome fence across the street.
I made the same point earlier, but I'm realizing it doesn't make much of a difference from what you can do at Plaza or Crown Center. You can cut through the "mall" and basically only spend about 30 feet more outside than they would in that surface lot.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Westport's problem is lack of directional signage and parking signage. The business center would do well to put signs up showing how close everything is to the major parking lots and garages.

It's especially needed since the roads in the area are quite complex compared to the grid

42nd becomes Wornall which dead ends at the hospital
Broadway does a jog over and then technically disappears
Archibald connects to neither Main nor SW Tfwy
Pennslyvania dead ends on one side and becomes residential on the other
Broadway doesn't connect from the Plaza
all of the roads south of Westport Rd west of Mill end there
Baltimore becomes Central on one alignment

and only then, add weird block shapes!
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Went to the Tivoli last night to catch a movie. '100 year old Man Who Climbed out the Window...' Best way to describe it is 'Forrest Gump meets the Girl with a Dragon Tattoo', if it were directed by Wes Anderson. It's not for everyone, but I loved it. Only on until Thursday, so hurry up.

Grabbed a bite nearby after the movie and the hostess and wait staff had evidently all eaten mushrooms. I'm dead-on serious. F'ing hilarious, but a little disconcerting. Poor hostess nearly climbed out of her skin when I asked how late they served food. "I really should know that ......" while unbuttoning and buttoning her sweater while intently looking at the woodgrain crawling off of her podium.

Our waiter was providing the appearance of maintaining but with sweat dripping off his brow when he came back to ask "I really hate to ask this but I know you ordered the cabbage slaw....but what else did you guys order? Oh yeah, right, right, right....giggle?"

Food was great. If the cooks were tripping it was working for them.

Finally it took our waiter four or five minutes to make our change from paying the bill while standing hunched over at the register. We felt so badly for the guy. It was obvious that the money was doing all sorts of shit in his hands as he counted and re-counted. He ultimately handed us too much and spirited away. We didn't bother telling him. Obviously it wasn't going to be right and we just left him all that and more.

What a great Monday night.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

loftguy wrote:Went to the Tivoli last night to catch a movie. '100 year old Man Who Climbed out the Window...' Best way to describe it is 'Forrest Gump meets the Girl with a Dragon Tattoo', if it were directed by Wes Anderson. It's not for everyone, but I loved it. Only on until Thursday, so hurry up.

Grabbed a bite nearby after the movie and the hostess and wait staff had evidently all eaten mushrooms. I'm dead-on serious. F'ing hilarious, but a little disconcerting. Poor hostess nearly climbed out of her skin when I asked how late they served food. "I really should know that ......" while unbuttoning and buttoning her sweater while intently looking at the woodgrain crawling off of her podium.

Our waiter was providing the appearance of maintaining but with sweat dripping off his brow when he came back to ask "I really hate to ask this but I know you ordered the cabbage slaw....but what else did you guys order? Oh yeah, right, right, right....giggle?"

Food was great. If the cooks were tripping it was working for them.

Finally it took our waiter four or five minutes to make our change from paying the bill while standing hunched over at the register. We felt so badly for the guy. It was obvious that the money was doing all sorts of shit in his hands as he counted and re-counted. He ultimately handed us too much and spirited away. We didn't bother telling him. Obviously it wasn't going to be right and we just left him all that and more.

What a great Monday night.

OK, I give up. I'll guess Char Bar.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

KCMax wrote:Andy's Frozen Custard shop coming to Westport Road and Mercer.
I'm really liking this addition to the neighborhood we have already been a few times, its very similar to Sherdians (Why didn't sherdians just build one around here).
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Andy's is an OG. I remember some of my parents' friends would bring coolers with them to Springfield just to bring extra Andy's back with them. It is pretty much an institution down there from what I gather.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Wish they had food a la Freddies.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I hate to admit it, but the new buildings going up in the parking lot west of Harry's actually might bring a little character to the street - they've kept the trees in front and are putting brick up on the facing.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Is not a bad layout, is streetfront and coming out better than renderings - but is such a missed opportunity to do more with a prime lot.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

bobbyhawks wrote:Andy's is an OG. I remember some of my parents' friends would bring coolers with them to Springfield just to bring extra Andy's back with them. It is pretty much an institution down there from what I gather.

Wouldn't kill them to put a bench or two on the massive wrap around patio, but otherwise, it's an OK addition.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

WSPanic wrote:
bobbyhawks wrote:Andy's is an OG. I remember some of my parents' friends would bring coolers with them to Springfield just to bring extra Andy's back with them. It is pretty much an institution down there from what I gather.

Wouldn't kill them to put a bench or two on the massive wrap around patio, but otherwise, it's an OK addition.
fire code dictates capacity. so it might not kill them, just their patrons. obviously it's hard to say if that's the reason but places generally put as much seating as they can fit in so there's a reason they didn't
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

flyingember wrote:
WSPanic wrote:

fire code dictates capacity. so it might not kill them, just their patrons. obviously it's hard to say if that's the reason but places generally put as much seating as they can fit in so there's a reason they didn't
I asked, and they said "because it gets too crowded." Silliness. They could put a bench or two out there - especially on the east side of the building by the huge surface lot. Put them in the grass for god's sake. If it's such a big deal, bring them in on the two times a week when it can get close to "too crowded".
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

New apartments are planned near Kansas City’s St. Luke’s Hospital
A bare plot of land that formerly held six residences will become an 18-unit gated apartment building, designed to be attractive to employees at nearby St. Luke’s Hospital.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... rylink=cpy
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

mgh7676 wrote:New apartments are planned near Kansas City’s St. Luke’s Hospital
A bare plot of land that formerly held six residences will become an 18-unit gated apartment building, designed to be attractive to employees at nearby St. Luke’s Hospital.
Gated? Really?...we need it to be gated?
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I think that was a typo, was supposed to be hated.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

I guess they are just assuming that St. Lukes employees have horrible taste?

I feel like well designed urban apartments within walking distance to Westport and Plaza should be an easy sell. But with the area filled with this crap, I don't know...
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Just once I wish I could go through a week without a development doodie being dumped on the city.

Can't this shit be kept in Kansas?
JLowe2018
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JLowe2018 »

Wait...maybe I missed it...but what is so bad about this project? :-k