Westside happenings

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
smh
Supporter

Re: Westside happenings

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote:
smh wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:Anybody know anything about the Summit At 16th condo development?
What about it?
State of the association? Anyone you known live there and opinion of build quality? General feel of living there?
I don't have much insight. All I know is of the massive stucco replacement they had done. And apparently the low brick warehouse looking building across Jefferson is about to become 3 apartments/townhouses/housing units.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

A new mixed-use development proposal for the Westside at 17th and Madison - 48 apartments over commercial, plus 4 townhomes:

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... pment.html

Anyone have any more details, or a subscription to the Biz Journal to give a rundown on the full article?

Looking at EPC Real Estate's track record, and the majority of it is typical, bland suburban work (NSPJ stuff like Mission Farms). 51 Main is probably their best project. I hope they go with something more architecturally modern to fit with the great modern houses sprinkled throughout the Westside.

I think this is another project that may run into problems with NIMBYs. There is a strong anti-development contingent in the neighborhood that would likely oppose anything of this size.
JLowe2018
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JLowe2018 »

Here's a copy and paste of the full article:

EPC Real Estate Group LLC is planning to break ground next spring on a mixed-use redevelopment project at the southwest corner of 17th Street and Madison Avenue in downtown Kansas City's West Side neighborhood.

Through signature projects like the Village at Mission Farms in Leawood, EPC Real Estate Group has become known for its focus on reurbanizing premier neighborhoods in the Kansas City area with dense apartment and mixed-use construction.

Its new West Side property will replace a vacant 22,000-square-foot warehouse building with 48 market-rate apartments over office and retail space, plus a restaurant pad. EPC also is planning to develop a vacant 16,000-square-foot building just south of the warehouse with four three-story townhomes.

EPC closed Friday on the two properties, which were marketed by Kevin Tubbesing and Pat Murfey of Evergreen Real Estate Services.

The new owners will begin the process of applying for local redevelopment incentives next week, said Mike McKeen, one of three principals with EPC Real Estate Group.

Steve Coon, another EPC principal, said the West Side project will be one of the smaller developments undertaken by his firm. Therefore, EPC will part from its typical practice of using an equity partner.

"We're doing it ourselves," Coon said of the project, which has an estimated development cost of $14 million.

Coon said the project will feature a contemporary architectural style designed to "fit the eclectic nature of the neighborhood." Feedback during meetings that have been conducted with neighbors has been positive, he said.

The project site is a block west of Summit Street, home to several trendy West Side restaurants, such as Blue Bird Bistro and Westside Local.

The West Side neighborhood also includes a mix of historic, contemporary, small and large single-family dwellings. And just south of the 17th and Madison site, Foutch Brothers LLC is working to turn the five crumbling buildings in the former Switzer School/West Junior High complex into 114 market-rate apartments.

"That's really going to eliminate an eyesore," Coon said. "Between (Foutch's) project and our project, it's an exciting time for that area. We feel like our project represents a great opportunity to building something special in a real special neighborhood."

Until recently, EPC also was involved in another downtown area project. Its principals were planning to partner with Copaken Brooks to co-develop the $24 million ARTerra project at 21st and Wyandotte streets, which is expected to be the first-ever high-rise apartment building built in the Crossroads Arts District.

Coon, however, said EPC and Copaken Brooks had ended that partnership and that Copaken Brooks is now partnering on the project with the St. Louis-based Komen Group.

Other projects that EPC is developing currently include the $35 million Savannah West Apartments at 8900 N. Prospect Ave. in the Northland and the $40 million Avenue 80, which will include apartments over commercial space at 80th Street and Metcalf Avenue in Overland Park.

EPC projects already completed or well underway include 51 Main, a $40 million apartment-over-retail project south of the Country Club Plaza that was co-developed by VanTrust Real Estate LLC; Mission 106, a mixed-use project in Leawood's Mission Farms development that is being co-developed by Weltner Development and Hunt Midwest Enterprises; and the Domain at Lenexa City Center, a 200-unit apartment project at 87th Street Parkway and Renner Boulevard.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

It will be interesting to see their take on "reurbanizing" an urban neighborhood. If they do the same thing they have done at Village at Mission Farms, I have a feeling I'm going to be disappointed. The pictures make it look more like they will be "suburbanizing" a historically urban area.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

A "restaurant pad" could be a cause for concern. Hopefully it's just a poor choice of words. "Pad" along with "campus" are two of the words I never want to see mentioned in connection with something urban.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Whatever the design, I'm sure the old school neighborhood folks will be upset with it when it is first unveiled. I'd be open to a couple of different approaches of how I'd like to see this developed, but Melrose Place, Disney-business-park is not part of that idea.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Jesus.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

Eon Blue wrote:A "restaurant pad" could be a cause for concern. Hopefully it's just a poor choice of words. "Pad" along with "campus" are two of the words I never want to see mentioned in connection with something urban.
I've heard they are planning for a restaurant "pad" on the corner, with an L-shaped apartment building behind.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I always wanted a pad on the Westside.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

A new house has been constructed on that rocky hillside parcel just north of the former Switzer school building. I'm guessing the address is 1811 Madison. It's an interesting house in that it projects out over the hillside on stilts. Also it's sort of amazing in that this is a very challenging parcel of land on which to attempt to build a house. Looking at it from a practical point-of-view, there are certainly many other parcels on which it would be easier to construct a new house, so you have to give major kudos to whomever built it.

Looking south from W. 18th Street (up above Madison on top of the rock outcropping).

Looking west from Summit near W. 18th Street.

An aerial of the parcel.

loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Think that's an Eldurrado.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I looked on the El Dorado website for that house, but I didn't find it. However, there is a description of the house to the north they did at 1747 Madison.

http://www.eldo.us/16048/early-november ... more-16048
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Speaking of the 1747 Madison house, I was looking at it on Google Streetview and noticed something.

There are no stairs going from the street up to the house. That's not so much a problem since the owners probably enter the house from the alley. However, look at the mailbox for the house, which is on the street.

How do the owners of the house get their mail? They can't just walk down the hillside to the sidewalk. Do they have to get their mail from their car on the street, and then drive up to their house? I also wonder how UPS and delivery services like Federal Express deliver packages to their house. #-o

chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

FangKC wrote: They can't just walk down the hillside to the sidewalk
Why not?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There are no steps going up to the house. That is a steep wall you see--not steps.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

FangKC wrote:There are no steps going up to the house. That is a steep wall you see--not steps.
Google street view from 2011 shows steps used to be there, but have clearly been removed
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

FangKC wrote:so you have to give major kudos to whomever built it.
I suspect that's the design that worked given the owner's budget but the plain elongate build, the tightly spaced windows, and the fact that it's extended out over the hillside on cheapish looking supports makes it look like a mining camp dormitory in West Virginia. Hope the front looks better.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Highlander wrote:
FangKC wrote:so you have to give major kudos to whomever built it.
I suspect that's the design that worked given the owner's budget but the plain elongate build, the tightly spaced windows, and the fact that it's extended out over the hillside on cheapish looking supports makes it look like a mining camp dormitory in West Virginia. Hope the front looks better.
that's the front
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

I thought it might be a KEM Studio or Studio Build project...but can't find it on those site either.

looks like it is from these guys: http://www.lionarchitecture.com/1811-madison/

never hear of that firm.

I like the house.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

Anyone know of this story?

http://www.pitch.com/kansascity/streets ... id=6389657

How bad would you say the deforestation was?