Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Westport's fate post-P&L

Post by earthling »

The style of brick/slat brace above door frame on back wall looks pretty Old World.

WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I'm sure Isaac McCoy himself got FroYo from that spot.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

pash wrote:If this had been a parking lot in danger of getting built on, everyone in the neighborhood would have heard about its impending doom a year in advance, public meetings would have been held, and we all would have had a good cry.

Oh, well.
#SaveWestport looks the other way for craft beer.
town cow
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by town cow »

Dave called it.

Bldg was built in 1892, facades altered in 1952, btw. Not historic.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

town cow wrote: Not historic.
Please define.
town cow
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by town cow »

Not on natl register or local historic list, and not shown as eligible.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Certainly not anymore!
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

Peachwave today (photo from street corner):

alley view:

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

unreal.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I would think that most of Westport would have to be vetted to do that kind of demolition. Could you imagine that happening in Old Town Alexandria Virginia?
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

I was in Papa Keno's the other day for lunch and the building was shaking from the demo work - glad it didn't fall down too.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

I guess the trick is to put out a rendering that makes it look like you're using the same building, and then poof, do a full demo?
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

Snipping the thread here for one comment. I saw some Facebook chatter regarding Ca Va, today: "If Cava has to close because the city can't keep up with the times..." Anyone know a rumor about this bar closing? Gotta assume its parking-related.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

It's because they have a restaurant license, not a tavern license. Their food sales don't exceed liquor sales as required for a restaurant license and there are too many tavern licenses already allocated in Westport. Hopefully they'll be allowed to get a tavern license - why does that rule even exist? Methinks Westport Association should have a say as the Champagne bar is unique to the city and it's a wonderful place. Hope they can work it out. We go once or twice a month and great place to take visitors. They are getting ready to grow vines over the patio, should be nice. Would be a shame they close due to a stupid technicality - in a bar district!

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... nk=SubDgst

Separately, the old Thai Place across the street will become Siam Thai, targeting to open by late Sept. Hope they can resolve the water damage smell from old place...
http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... t=trending
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Maybe, they can pull the liquor license from Harpos and give it to ca va.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling wrote:Hopefully they'll be allowed to get a tavern license - why does that rule even exist?
it's called the "density" requirement and it actually applies citywide, minus the CBD and crossroads. the number of taverns allowed is relative to the population (plus nothing X feet from churches or schools). add more people, add more taverns in theory. unfortunately, midtown population is still in decline.

the density requirement does not apply to restaurants, but to be a restaurant you have to sell 51% food (up to $200,000 or something, then it's a free-for-all).

see why some people want to make wholesale changes to our liquor laws versus just spot-zoning for one business?

it's super complicated. after having dealt with it closely for several years, i can't guarantee the above is 100% accurate.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

That is accurate. The great irony here is that it was a handful of the Crossroads leaders who got together about 10 years ago and quietly changed the ordinance to exclude the Crossroads from the density requirement. At the time, I found it odd that they didn't do it for a larger area, like River-Crown-Plaza.

I applied for a liquor license around that time in Columbus Park. The whole process was comical and frustrating. The geniuses at Regulated Industries were using taverns inside the excluded CBD to say there were already too many within range, as far as density goes. I explained to them that since the CBD area is exempt, they can't count bars in that area and even cited the ordinance, which I am certain they had never bothered to read. I couldn't get anywhere, those guys just prefer to say "no". They wouldn't even let me talk to their supervisor, just told me he said it doesn't work that way. I had to hire a consultant, who of course used to be head of Regulated Industries, to convince them that they were misinterpreting the ordinance. Corruption is rampant in that department. The whole thing would have made an entertaining short film.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

I wouldn't call it corruption. There are many other words that may apply. Like lack of experience for one.
Don't know in this case but with turnover and all I wouldn't be surprised that would apply here.