Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Westport's fate post-P&L

Post by flyingember »

Assuming QT can get the owner to sell that's a decent middle ground.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

moderne wrote:Since the long vacant gas station is on the corner with entrances on Westport and on Roanoke, it seems like shifting the project in that direction could be grandfathered in. Might help soften any increased traffic problems of an expanded gas station with the help of a traffic signaled intersection.
flyingember wrote:Assuming QT can get the owner to sell that's a decent middle ground.
I very much agree.

I have heard that the Jimmy Johns currently owns that property...but, the previous owner was put out of business by QT and so to spite them, he put a deed restriction on the property when he sold it that prevents the property from ever being sold to QT. So I doubt that can happen. Talk about screwing over the rest of the neighborhood...although everything is negotiable.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

flyingember wrote:
kcjak wrote:Does the city or neighborhood have any power to deny the closing of the street? Seems like that would be a pretty big deal but I have no idea.
The city would need to legally vacate the street. W. 2nd St in front of Market Station is a good example. it's a street, yes, but it's not a city street.

This project can't go forward as is without this city action.
The City Plan Commission would have to approve this. I don't think it was on the docket for the August 2nd hearing, unless it happened in July. My guess is it will be on an upcoming docket.

Suffice to say, vacating Mercier and creating this massive QT Truck Stop Travel Plaza is a complete joke. It will worsen the traffic in the area and make it less safe for pedestrians.

https://data.kcmo.org/Development-Revie ... /hyjh-rejt
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

kboish wrote:
I have heard that the Jimmy Johns currently owns that property...but, the previous owner was put out of business by QT and so to spite them, he put a deed restriction on the property when he sold it that prevents the property from ever being sold to QT. So I doubt that can happen. Talk about screwing over the rest of the neighborhood...although everything is negotiable.
Jimmy John's owns the opposite corner only. That's owned by a Mark Abbot. The empty gas station next to QT is owned by a Jerry Murphy.

I checked the county recorder records and don't see any deed restrictions placed on the Jerry Murphy property in recent years.

Deeds tend to be recorded the same or next day in the KC area (I dealt with a deed issue last year) so odds are great any restrictions would show up if they existed.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

The parcel I am referring to is owned by "JJRE" or Jimmy Johns Real Estate. Its possible I misunderstood what was being discussed. It seems to me that expanding the store in this direction could satisfy an urban building design, pump space, and keep streets open.

http://maps.jacksongov.org/PropertyRepo ... 0-0-00-000
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

could be they were planning to move at one point. but there's no deed restriction.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The gas station was "Murphy's" for all the decades I can remember. Has been vacant ever since he died. Don't recall if his surname was Jerry or if that can be an heir.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I drove by the Quiktrip site yesterday. That would be a HUGE parking lot if approved.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Fox 4 News is reporting that cars are submerged in rising water at the intersection of Westport Road and Mill near the World Market.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Signs up at the old Berbiglia property - rezoning meeting on Sept 20.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

QT project will be heard at CPC on 9/20. Send out your best riders to sound the alarm.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

smh wrote:QT project will be heard at CPC on 9/20. Send out your best riders to sound the alarm.
ATTACK! :evil: :evil: :evil:
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

KCMO City Planning ‏@KCMOPlanning 17h17 hours ago
@kccrank @KCMO It is possible to comment on a case even if you are unable to attend the mtg and have it be part of the public record. (1/?)

@kccrank @KCMO To do so, email the assigned Planner for the case at Olofu.Agbaji@kcmo.org and cc Nichol.Washington@kncmo.org as well. (2/3)

@kccrank @KCMO Please be sure to address the message to City Plan Commission & it will be included in the packet the day of the mtg (3/3)
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

smh wrote:QT project will be heard at CPC on 9/20. Send out your best riders to sound the alarm.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

QT fails at city plan commission. expect council fight.
http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics ... 57617.html
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

QT has boarded up the windows of the adjacent apartments on Mercier and Roanoke. Looks like either demolition or blight-by-right.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

chaglang wrote:QT has boarded up the windows of the adjacent apartments on Mercier and Roanoke. Looks like either demolition or blight-by-right.
It's a shame - one of my friends lived in those not long ago and they were really nice inside after they were rehabbed.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

Looks like the new basement being poured at Westport Rd and Broadway (former Peachwave) continues past the original building location and continues into the former alley and courtyard west of Broadway Cafe. I wonder what the end result will be.

I used to really like the small alley that took you into the interior of the block. I always thought they could make better use of the 'courtyard', but it was nice to have access either way.

Anyone seen a plan of what they are doing to the block as a whole?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

If anyone wondered where people will park in Westport, it's the brand new on street parking

http://kcmo.gov/news/2016/travel-improv ... -westport/
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Taking away the traffic lights at Westport/Penn might cause backups/gridlock at Westport/Broadway. Guess we'll find out pretty soon. Maybe the City should keep those lights as-is flashing red in both directions for several months to determine the impact. And if OK, then remove for flashing stop signs.

Speaking of which, KC drivers are terrible at preventing gridlock at intersections by pulling into intersections knowing many cars tied up in front of them. I've seen some cities with signs at some problem intersections that say '$300 ticket for causing gridlock' that I'd like to see KC adapt. The signs should be a deterrent even if not often enforced.