Nelson Atkins - Moving Forward

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Nelson Atkins - Moving Forward

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

What about the big empty lot north of 44th?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

shinatoo wrote:What about the big empty lot north of 44th?
NE corner of 44th and Oak is owned by the Art Institute
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Can we just merge the Nelson and Art Institute? While we're add it, make UMKC and Rockhurst one decently sized university.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Neighbors to Nelson-Atkins: Promise you won’t tear down those historic houses

The Nelson wants to rezone residential properties it owns immediately to its north, paving the way to convert four houses on 45th Street to office space for museum staff.

The museum also wants to reuse part of the former Rockhill Tennis Club site, property it owns immediately to its east, for a sculpture garden and overflow parking lot.

Several residents sought assurances that the 45th Street houses plus the vacant Kirkwood house, which had been the former Rockhill clubhouse, would be maintained in perpetuity.

That “forever” request surprised Nelson representatives who had met Monday night with a few neighborhood leaders in an attempt to reach agreements before the commission hearing. That meeting had resulted in the Nelson committing to preserve the houses for at least 15 years.

“Protect those homes for 100 years,” pleaded Jim Wanser, a Rockhill resident.

Addressing only the next 15 years “is kicking the can down the road,” Wanser said, and is exhausting neighbors who fight incremental changes.

They said the museum has grown rapidly in collections and visitors in recent years and needs more space. Some galleries now are used for offices instead of art.

The museum already has a special use permit to use one of the four 45th Street houses for staff offices, and it wants to convert the other three, one of which has been vacant for years. The other two houses have rental tenants who were given 20-month notices to move.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 89783.html
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The thing I find most frustrating about this long-term museum expansion plan is how short-sighted museum planners have been. They are already out of office and gallery space?

When they were planning the Bloch addition, why didn't they plan for more office, and gallery space on-site? Why didn't they plan to include future parking needs under the Bloch addition, or in a potential future expansion building south of the Bloch Building?

The Atkins has a huge parcel of land, and yet they assume they will be allowed to further encroach into a long-established residential neighborhood?

There were obvious locations onsite where they could have built additional office space (indicated on aerial photo), and they have space to the south to extend future gallery additions that could include parking under the gallery space.

chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Money. The Nelson expanded as much as it could afford back in 2007. IIRC the plan was always to move offices into the old Rockhill Tennis Club. It's definitely cheaper than building new.

Some of the Rockhill neighbors have suggested moving the 3 houses north of the Nelson to the parking lot and tennis courts east of Rockhill Road. Then the Nelson could build an office building in Southmoreland. I'm not sure anyone has asked Southmoreland how they feel about that idea.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

chaglang wrote:Money. The Nelson expanded as much as it could afford back in 2007. IIRC the plan was always to move offices into the old Rockhill Tennis Club. It's definitely cheaper than building new.

Some of the Rockhill neighbors have suggested moving the 3 houses north of the Nelson to the parking lot and tennis courts east of Rockhill Road. Then the Nelson could build an office building in Southmoreland. I'm not sure anyone has asked Southmoreland how they feel about that idea.
Or build something on the tennis courts?
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

I would love to see the Nelson develop a significant downtown presence. Part of all of their photography collection would seem a good fit. Great for downtown and makes room at the main site. Also, a lot of tourists make it to downtown but not to the Nelson I would think.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

missingkc wrote:I would love to see the Nelson develop a significant downtown presence. Part of all of their photography collection would seem a good fit. Great for downtown and makes room at the main site. Also, a lot of tourists make it to downtown but not to the Nelson I would think.
Yes! The giant grassy lot just east of the Kauffman would be a great spot for them! Do a really well-detailed, tailored building with a low profile that doesn't compete with the Kauffman's monumental architecture.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

You're right - that would be a great spot.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Wasn't there an old plan to put an art museum near Liberty Memorial?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I believe the south lawn/drive/mall of the memorial grounds was originally envisioned to be flanked by museums.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Julian and other members of the board have said a few times that the Nelson has no interest in having a presence outside their current campus.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

smh wrote:Julian and other members of the board have said a few times that the Nelson has no interest in having a presence outside their current campus.
This seems to me like it's an Apple level of "no interest." They likely don't feel they could make enough money to cover the cost nor is attendance suffering from not having another location right now.

I bet if someone were to come with a big pile of cash or a great art collection donation and this comes with a downtown location as a requirement they would suddenly be interested in the idea.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Years of discord between Nelson-Atkins and neighbors coming to an end

Phase one of the plan permits the museum to develop an outdoor sculpture garden where tennis courts for the former Rockhill Tennis Club now stand. The agreement also paves the way for the museum to sell the former clubhouse to a private owner who will maintain it as a residence.

Museum officials said Wednesday that the house, also known as the Kirkwood residence, hasn’t been sold yet. The house is excluded from the overall master plan.

The new phase one agreement also allows the museum to expand office operations, as necessary, into historic houses it owns on 45th Street. Museum staff members already work in one of the houses.

The pact with the neighborhoods states that the museum will preserve the residential character of all four houses. Eventually, a future phase of the plan — which would require a return to City Hall for permitting — may include construction of an office building for the museum so that the houses could be returned to residential use.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/ar ... 85709.html
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

Nelson-Atkins Museum is installing mini golf course on lawn

http://fox4kc.com/2017/10/18/nelson-atk ... design-it/

Seems kinda cheesy. I hope it's well executed.
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

mister816 wrote:Nelson-Atkins Museum is installing mini golf course on lawn

I've yet to see anything substantial that they've failed to execute on, so I have some high hopes for this. Does seem cheesy out of the box, but I imagine it will fit in well into the lawn once completed. I'm a bit concerned with the $4,000 max price per hole. Seems a bit tight.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Save our shuttlecocks!
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

cityscape wrote:
mister816 wrote:Nelson-Atkins Museum is installing mini golf course on lawn

I've yet to see anything substantial that they've failed to execute on, so I have some high hopes for this. Does seem cheesy out of the box, but I imagine it will fit in well into the lawn once completed. I'm a bit concerned with the $4,000 max price per hole. Seems a bit tight.
Mini golf lends itself well to art. So done right this could be quite cool.