Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Westport's fate post-P&L

Post by brewcrew1000 »

taxi wrote:
brewcrew1000 wrote:^Nutterville is going to have to be demolished if Westport wants to be vibrant self sustaining neighborhood. Its a huge piece to Westport East's growth
Are you being serious? If so, you should seek professional help.
I didn't mean demolished, just re-purposed back to residential, the houses can definitely stay but that area needs residential so badly. Its a ghost town at night and a lot of people get mugged over in this area late at night.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

That area is a big crime problem. Would be better off as residential, but I wouldn't hold my breath for for that to happen.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

taxi wrote:
brewcrew1000 wrote:^Nutterville is going to have to be demolished if Westport wants to be vibrant self sustaining neighborhood. Its a huge piece to Westport East's growth
Are you being serious? If so, you should seek professional help.
Take him seriously, not literally.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I would argue that mixed use neighborhoods are better at deterring crime. Some people are there during the day, some at night.

There are people living in Nutterville. Not a lot, but I have no doubt most of those houses wouldn't be there anymore or they would be in serious disrepair and there would be more crime if it weren't for Nutter renovating them and meticulously maintaining them. I don't think Nutter or the use can be blamed for the crime in that area. And fercryin out loud, it's a tiny area.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Any stats to support relatively higher crime in Nutterville? I walk through there often with dog, sometimes after dusk and doesn't seem all that sketchy compared to say north end of Southmoreland. But even so, would like to see it more mixed up.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

There's a map up with this kind of data. Doesn't look like any part of midtown is notably worse than any other.

https://data.kcmo.org/Crime/Crimes-Agai ... /qnx9-asnu
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Looks like 0 incidents in immediate Nutterville district, for the period anyway.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote:^Looks like 0 incidents in immediate Nutterville district, for the period anyway.
That should be all of 2016, or that's what the link I used said.

So it seems like it's actually safer than the norm.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Interesting. I really thought it was sketchy. Seems like the perfect area for a late night drug deal or a perfect place to set up and rob someone while they are walking east
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

^ Nope. That's 39th and Main.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

brewcrew1000 wrote:
WSPanic wrote:That area is a big crime problem.
Its a ghost town at night and a lot of people get mugged over in this area late at night.
These kinds of blanket statements are sad and can directly affect people who live and work and own property and businesses in those areas.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who googles areas when I'm looking for a place to live or buy property or have an interest for whatever reason. It's not uncommon for kcrag posts to show up in searches for keywords that include KC neighborhoods. As our resident expert noted, there are crime maps for the area and they are easy to find and read. I hear this same shit about Columbus Park all the time, and downtown in general, but the statistics do not support it. So, please don't drink and post.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I know two separate groups of people that were mugged in Nutterville in 2014 and 2015. Maybe that has clouded my perception - or maybe they've made an effort to clean it up.

I still won't walk over there late at night.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

WSPanic wrote:I know two separate groups of people that were mugged in Nutterville in 2014 and 2015. Maybe that has clouded my perception - or maybe they've made an effort to clean it up.

I still won't walk over there late at night.
I also remember an incident back in I believe 2013 where a group of people called in fake pizza delivery orders to I'm pretty sure the nutterville homes then when the pizza guy got to the house they robbed him. Maybe it was just a gang that was setting up shop in that area and its cleaned up now but it seems like the perfect area to do just about any kind of crime.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

3 incidents in 3 years? I think you're proving taxi's point.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

grovester wrote:3 incidents in 3 years? I think you're proving taxi's point.
If you want to walk around there late at night, have at it. I value my own safety and will take an Uber.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

You shouldn't walk any where you're not comfortable, I don't. But that doesn't mean your fear has any basis or you should tell the world about it.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

grovester wrote:You shouldn't walk any where you're not comfortable, I don't. But that doesn't mean your fear has any basis or you should tell the world about it.
I'll make sure to privately submit all of my posts to you for approval prior to broadcasting to the seven people that still read this thread.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Thank you. I will compile them next to the posts where we call suburbanites wussys for being afraid to go downtown because of anecdotal stories they 'heard".
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

grovester wrote:Thank you. I will compile them next to the posts where we call suburbanites wussys for being afraid to go downtown because of anecdotal stories they 'heard".
The streetcar will be a place for thugs to rob people! We can't possibly extend it past Westport because all the thugs that sit in back alleys waiting for someone to walk by can ride too.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Take a look at yesterday NYTimes article, recounting the Frugal Traveler's visit to KC.
He was at Arthur Bryant's and in talking with a local (Leawood?) and Frugal shared that he was going to Westport.
The local told him to be sure to be out of Westport before dark, because it wasn't safe.

Frugal made sure he left The Bunker before the sun went down....