Metcakf Ave.

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Metcakf Ave.

Post by mgsports »

https://www.opkansas.org/wp-content/upl ... rea_3A.pdf southeast corner 91st and Metcalf Mixed Use development if approved meaning some of the existing Commercial coukd be gone before next year.

Also 159th street and Metcalf Ave.Site Plan know has Juniors Anchirs hooked to Big Box store let Loopnet listing for it.
ZaEry
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: Metcakf Ave.

Post by ZaEry »

I hope that this redevelopment doesn't get approved. The reason I say it is because that area is fine the way it is. I'd rather they try and develop an area that has yet to be developed.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

ZaEry wrote:I'd rather they try and develop an area that has yet to be developed.
most people on this site want the opposite. there's completely empty retail at 95th St that is just fine for the purpose and is sitting doing nothing to help pay for the 6-lane road fronting it.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

They will redevellop but Glenwood Plaza has spaces to fill and like Standstone Creek or Fairway at Corbin Park do not have any commercial with them.
ZaEry
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by ZaEry »

flyingember wrote:
ZaEry wrote:I'd rather they try and develop an area that has yet to be developed.
most people on this site want the opposite. there's completely empty retail at 95th St that is just fine for the purpose and is sitting doing nothing to help pay for the 6-lane road fronting it.
I will admit you do have a point there. Business seems to be doing alright west of Metcalf but east I can't say the same thing. I did here we will be losing whatever mall that is on 95th & Metcalf. Don't get me wrong that area is a nice area but its an older area. You can tell by the houses that the people with more money are living around the 135th St area. I'm not sure if this redevelopment will change anything but it might be worth a try. I will say I'd rather that Metcalf area not turn into an area where basically everything is shut down. An example would be the business park on 75th & Quivira. I know that because I eat at the Pizza Street that's there. Basically the only things that are there are a Walgreens, a liquor store, a bank, Starbucks, Pizza Street, and possibly a book store. The book store might have closed down I'm not 100% sure on that one. Then else everything in that are has closed down.
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Metcalf Ave. and near by

Post by AlbertHammond »

Indoor skydiving facility?
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

Amazing. Good to see some residential mixed use. I hope to see something like this north building closer to downtown OP.
I know I am getting old when I see Loeman's Plaza/Gateway 2000 Plaza torn down...I project I remember visiting its opening week.
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

AlbertHammond wrote:
Amazing. Good to see some residential mixed use. I hope to see something like this north building closer to downtown OP.
I am seeing some potential for building a grid and developing a "walkable" main street thru these important properties. Hopefully they can coordinate something here.

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I fail to see why we need another street to maintain right there. Metcalf is the widest street through OP N-S from I-35 to 435. It has what's in the top 5 if it's not the #1 longest contiguous parallel bike trail in the metro area and it has a transit route on it.

yet another street would be a failing. a pedestrian only zone like at the legends would be much better. a giant ring by Shamrock towers, Microcenter and such as well with a bike trail, trees and such. connect with the Jo stops at 95th

It's long past time to improve the pedestrian crossing experience of Metcalf. It disconnects the two sides of the street from the retail and the offices. A dense pedestrian centric area with renewed retail and office use would hugely benefit OP. How many thousands of homes are centered on this spot?

if that area was redeveloped with only 4-7 story buildings there's space for thousands of units of residential and dozens of medium sized companies on top of retail. With the existing towers height wouldn't be out of place

the footprint of Metcalf South alone is substantial and there's multiple mega blocks open for redevelopment and several more with room for improvement
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

flyingember wrote:I fail to see why we need another street to maintain right there. Metcalf is the widest street through OP N-S from I-35 to 435. It has what's in the top 5 if it's not the #1 longest contiguous parallel bike trail in the metro area and it has a transit route on it.

yet another street would be a failing. a pedestrian only zone like at the legends would be much better.
The "main street" thought would be more like the main drag thru Park Place in Leawood, next to Nall and would be the walkable route with streetfront retail or residential, next to the car sewer Metcalf. This is similar to streets in the Plaza with Ward Parkway, JC Nichols Pkwy and SW Trafficway doing the hard work moving traffic. Even Zona Rosa next to Barry Road is a decent example.
This assumes that Metcalf could get cars to the site in the short term until a future life of fewer cars and more transit comes to fruition.

"The Boulevard" development on Brentwood Blvd in suburban St. Louis is a decent example.
The "main drag":

https://goo.gl/maps/qq9XQ

Here is the car sewer (like Metcalf):

https://goo.gl/maps/qlC8b

Imagine that "main street" running parallel to Metcalf from 89th to 97th? Add in better pedestrian crossings across Metcalf and this could be a real gem.