Million plus Square Foot Dist Center in KCK

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Million plus Square Foot Dist Center in KCK

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Highlander wrote:
LOL. They hire exactly the type that depend on public transportation. Twice the minimum wage is still poverty. Not easy to buy dependable automobiles when you are making like 30 grand a year.
Two wage family with both making $30,000 or $60,000 total would put them around the median income for the country. For living in KCK that wouldn't be too bad. Especially since the median average income for males in KCK is $27,000, median household income is $38,000, median income of an owner-occupied home is $51,000.
joshmv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by joshmv »

brewcrew1000 wrote:I saw an article that said some business sold 24,000 hammocks on prime day most likely at a loss. I can't believe that many people are buying hammocks. The real winners when it comes to Amazon shopping are the ones who garage sale because I guarantee that hammock will be at plenty of garage sales in the next few years for 5-10 bucks.

Amazon - First World junk made by Third World countries.
Like seriously, what kind of morons are buying this garbage at these prices https://www.amazon.com/Pi-People-Pie-Pan/dp/B00GTB1X8C
I would buy it for a buck or 2 at a garage sale/resale shop but $25 give me a break.
This has to be in the running for shitpost of the year.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

joshmv wrote:
brewcrew1000 wrote:I saw an article that said some business sold 24,000 hammocks on prime day most likely at a loss. I can't believe that many people are buying hammocks. The real winners when it comes to Amazon shopping are the ones who garage sale because I guarantee that hammock will be at plenty of garage sales in the next few years for 5-10 bucks.

Amazon - First World junk made by Third World countries.
Like seriously, what kind of morons are buying this garbage at these prices https://www.amazon.com/Pi-People-Pie-Pan/dp/B00GTB1X8C
I would buy it for a buck or 2 at a garage sale/resale shop but $25 give me a break.
This has to be in the running for shitpost of the year.
I'm just very critical of Amazon and think its this company that is trying to take over every aspect of the internet. I also think they are bad for communities that want density and walkability.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

It's just a really weird argument to make. Amazon sells millions of items, so let's pick out one overpriced novelty to make a point.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

brewcrew1000 wrote:
I'm just very critical of Amazon and think its this company that is trying to take over every aspect of the internet. I also think they are bad for communities that want density and walkability.
It's an extension of changes going all the way back to Sears. They shipped items from a central location, replacing local stores.

Retail survived trains.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

In 1498, the publisher Aldus Manutius of Venice printed a catalog of the books he was printing. Earliest known catalog order system. Same way Amazon started.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Catalog/internet sales also allow for greater density. By moving distribution to single locations less inventory has to sit near consumers.

Like we have a lot of 140 foot shops and lots. Today these are becoming two apartments (see 1914 main rear units). Before these were mostly storage depth.

Yes, shipping things allows people to live further away but more JIT sales means people can live more dense in less space too. same day shipments can replace the need for big box stores by bringing in basics like TP, trash bags and such on demand.

Suburbs are driven by the multi-day shipment. Sears allowed living weeks from anywhere because you could order from anywhere. Keep moving up delivery speed and this is what FedEx and Amazon built up around. Urban density is driven by same day shipment.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:
aknowledgeableperson wrote:Know someone who recently took a job at a Walmart distribution center. He was previously working at a higher pay position at a printing place but left because of long term prospects plus he went to a day shift instead of nights. Didn't get into what the actual pay was but it had to be decent given what he had going for him at the previous job.
And where this distribution center is located there is no mass transit anywhere around. And there is one in Harrisonville without mass transit around.
i'm not sure what you're implying based on this one person you know, but every time a large warehouse/industrial/low-wage employer locates away from the existing transit network they eventually start asking for more transit service to get workers to the site. just ask any EDC...
It could very well be that the type of employee this business will attract and hire will not be the type to depend on mass transit. Notice, you say "low-wage". Not sure how you define that as to amount of pay but there are warehouses in this area that do not rely on or need mass transit to attract their employees.
Drive KC to Work is a program operated by Bishop Sullivan Center (6435 Truman Road, KCMO 64126) that helps low-income individuals obtain reliable transportation at an affordable cost, so that they may gain or maintain employment. These vehicles offer families greater access to child care, stores, after-school activities and educational opportunities. For many, these vehicles are sorely needed, as approximately 18% of available jobs in the KC area are accessible by public transportation.
http://northeastnews.net/pages/?p=32723

If this quote is accurate, then your premise excludes a lot of local residents in need of employment from reaching these jobs without a car, and having to do that places a financial burden on them as owning and maintaining a vehicle reduces the amount of take-home pay that they can use for other purposes.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Basic capitalism says that employers choosing to locate far away from transit, which is arguably used by the people who are not in a position to say no to a low wage job, means that a few dollars per hour is not the biggest cost they have.

ten employees at an extra $4000 per year is $40k. They can move further out on cheap to develop land, get incentives to do so greater than that wage difference and go for incentives for the wages too.

Transit hasn't even entered the picture at this point.

Look at how many employers locate downtown not for the bus lines but because their hiring ecosystem is downtown.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... rters.html
Read between the lines and they want to steal good employees from other tech companies downtown
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Walmart is buying Jet.com for better or worse (like Amazon), which has a distro center in KC area (only a few out there). Walmart will probably build more but also could expand it here.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/wal-mart-buy ... tml?ref=gs
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Highlander wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:
i'm not sure what you're implying based on this one person you know, but every time a large warehouse/industrial/low-wage employer locates away from the existing transit network they eventually start asking for more transit service to get workers to the site. just ask any EDC...
It could very well be that the type of employee this business will attract and hire will not be the type to depend on mass transit. Notice, you say "low-wage". Not sure how you define that as to amount of pay but there are warehouses in this area that do not rely on or need mass transit to attract their employees.
LOL. They hire exactly the type that depend on public transportation. Twice the minimum wage is still poverty. Not easy to buy dependable automobiles when you are making like 30 grand a year.[/quote]

If you want to understand the economic pressure placed on low-income workers who cannot reach their job using public transit, and how having to have a car keeps them in economic peril, watch this excerpt from Last Week Tonight With John Oliver, where he discusses the situation of working poor who have to buy cars to reach jobs.

Lower-income workers usually can't access affordable credit, and they also have to buy crappy used cars from self-financing auto dealerships. It's easy for them to get into a lot of financial trouble buying a used car. They also end up paying much more than the crappy car is worth.

The fact that they cannot reach a job using public transit in effect keeps them in constant financial peril, and they have difficulty climbing out of debt even if they have a job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U2eDJnwz_s
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Know someone who recently took a job at a Walmart distribution center. He was previously working at a higher pay position at a printing place but left because of long term prospects plus he went to a day shift instead of nights. Didn't get into what the actual pay was but it had to be decent given what he had going for him at the previous job. And where this distribution center is located there is no mass transit anywhere around. And there is one in Harrisonville without mass transit around.

DaveKCMO wrote: '

m not sure what you're implying based on this one person you know, but every time a large warehouse/industrial/low-wage employer locates away from the existing transit network they eventually start asking for more transit service to get workers to the site. just ask any EDC...

Highlander wrote:

LOL. They hire exactly the type that depend on public transportation. Twice the minimum wage is still poverty. Not easy to buy dependable automobiles when you are making like 30 grand a year.
If you want to understand the economic pressure placed on low-income workers who cannot reach their job using public transit, and how having to have a car keeps them in economic peril, watch this excerpt from the HBO show, Last Week Tonight With John Oliver, where he discusses the situation of working poor who have to buy cars to reach jobs.

Lower-income workers usually can't access affordable credit, and they also have to buy crappy used cars from self-financing auto dealerships. It's easy for them to get into a lot of financial trouble buying a used car. They also end up paying much more than the crappy car is worth.

The fact that they cannot reach a job using public transit in effect keeps them in constant financial peril, and they have difficulty climbing out of debt even if they have a job.

The other issue here is that the cars are often unreliable cars, and subject to breakdown, which further impacts the worker's ability to get to work, and keep their job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U2eDJnwz_s
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

When I watched that on TV, the intro got me so excited that he was going to go into this country's poor public transit and how it hurts the poor. The credit issues are still valuable but he's touched on similar issues before and I've never seen someone on TV tackle the transit issue.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Amazon broke ground Tuesday on its new fulfillment center in Kansas City, Kansas.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Walmart acquisition of Jet.com went through...
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-walma ... SKCN11P27U

KC area has one of few jet.com distro sites, only one in central US. Walmart bought jet.com for the software algorithm not the distro center operations so KC site could be in jeopardy or could expand. We shall see...
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

My wife was saying that the Walmart big big wigs have actually been flying to the Jet.com facility in Edgerton a lot over the last month, guess they just want to see how it runs. They have also been popping into the Gardner Walmart since its so close, probably flying in and out of New Century
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Target is also speculated for 'Project Toto' because they have a terrier for a mascot.

It will be interesting to see if Walmart keeps the jet.com branding long term. Would think not long term but there is a large faction of people out there who simply don't like Walmart as a massive entity and jet.com brand may be an opportunity to expand outside Walmart branding. And the Walmart online branding can still use jet.com logistics/algorithm. Jet.com has been spending megabucks on ads to expand brand awareness so will be interesting to see if Walmart bumps up spending for brand name or transitions to Walmart branding.

Pretty good points about what it means here...
https://www.godatafeed.com/blog/what-wa ... merchants/
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

earthling wrote:Target is also speculated for 'Project Toto' because they have a terrier for a mascot.

Pretty good points about what it means here...
https://www.godatafeed.com/blog/what-wa ... merchants/
Are you joking? I just assumed Project Toto was a way to make fun of the Kansas City region and its ties to Wizard of Oz, I just assumed the name came from some clueless, out of touch with reality lady from Olathe who may or may not look like this

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

A combo of both Oz and Target mascot that is. But who knows.