wtf is happening to w. 39th?!

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Re: wtf is happening to w. 39th?!

Post by kcjak »

I wondered if Downtown Pizza was still in the picture once Social closed downtown...is that location still open? A decent pizza place in that location should do well.

On a side note, the refurbished building next to Missie B's got it's first tenant -a business to find temporary work for people. Aside from the fact that the interior is a horrible, sparse space with a counter that runs down the length of the building, I'm hoping this doesn't turn into the type of temporary worker biz that used to be (or still is?) across from Domino's near Broadway.

At least a check-cashing place didn't go in :(
auntbigdog
Pad site
Pad site

Post by auntbigdog »

kcjak wrote:Sign in the window of the former Latin Bistro space says Sultan's Bakery coming soon.
It's open now. Initial visit reveals very friendly staff (explaining stuff and handing out samples!) and very tasty Middle Eastern pastries. I am a bit concerned about the size of the niche market they're serving, and whether that's enough to make a go of it, but I hope they do well.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

Sultan's Bakery is highly recommended. The Kurdish coffee is brewed at half-strength and doesn't include the grounds, its still a potent cup of coffee to sit alongside a 2.00 baklava.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Coming to 39th Street: Mo Brew & Kulture resale boutique
Several restaurateurs have taken over this spot at 1403 W. 39th St. But they’ve failed to match the success of former longtime tenant Macaluso’s.

After stints as Scotty’s on 39th, Bella Restaurant and Coffeehouse, and Kansas Town, the space is now set to become Mo Brew.

But Chad Sander, managing partner of Mo Brew, said he is bringing something unique to 39th Street.

Sander, who also is a partner in the popular Drunken Worm next door, as well as John’s Big Deck downtown, plans a major redesign of the space.

The wall behind the bar will be lined with different bottled beers - mostly American craft beers. It also will feature comfort foods, as well as small plates for sharing and nightly dinner specials.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

why the shitty names in this space? is that part of each lease agreement?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote:Sultan's Bakery is highly recommended. The Kurdish coffee is brewed at half-strength and doesn't include the grounds, its still a potent cup of coffee to sit alongside a 2.00 baklava.
I went here a couple weeks ago and I really enjoyed everything. I hope it can survive, its nice to have a bakery that is a little more healthy on ingredients and is not relying on fats and lots of sugar but i think the general public will be turned off by this because the fats, bright colors with dyes, and sugars is what everyone is use to.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

why the shitty names in this space? is that part of each lease agreement?
Seems to be something of ongoing trend of late.

See also: KC Bier Co., Joe's Kansas City BBQ, "BLVD Cafe", etc.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I agree, some other lame ones include Bier Station, Beer Kitchen,

We need cool names like Lord Hobo, The Happy Gnome, The Sugar Maple, The J Clyde, The Hay Merchant, etc.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

brewcrew1000 wrote:I agree, some other lame ones include Bier Station, Beer Kitchen,

We need cool names like Lord Hobo, The Happy Gnome, The Sugar Maple, The J Clyde, The Hay Merchant, etc.
http://www.hipsterbusiness.name/
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

brewcrew1000 wrote:
WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote:Sultan's Bakery is highly recommended. The Kurdish coffee is brewed at half-strength and doesn't include the grounds, its still a potent cup of coffee to sit alongside a 2.00 baklava.
I went here a couple weeks ago and I really enjoyed everything. I hope it can survive, its nice to have a bakery that is a little more healthy on ingredients and is not relying on fats and lots of sugar but i think the general public will be turned off by this because the fats, bright colors with dyes, and sugars is what everyone is use to.
Agreed on that second point in general, that though is not affecting Sultan's business. Owner said they're baking from 6am until 10pm to keep up with demand. Please check this place out everyone, the price is low and quality is high. One of the good deals happening in KC right now
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

smh wrote:Artego Pizza coming soon to 900 W. 39th (Q39 strip mall).

http://www.artegopizza.com/
Now open.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

KCMax wrote:

Now open.
Let's get this strip mall re-branded- its not a strip mall any longer but a real culinary experience, more unique with every perfect local tenant.
Repete
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Repete »

Maybe you should write down your definition of the "local perfect tenant" so future operations have a guide line to go by.
last time I looked the bulk of 39th was one big strip mall, with the parking in back, or a central location with some on the street. All the buildings where connected, shared parking etc. The area has always treated that location like shit it shows with the restrictions they put on it with the liquor permits.
WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote:
KCMax wrote:

Now open.
Let's get this strip mall re-branded- its not a strip mall any longer but a real culinary experience, more unique with every perfect local tenant.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

KCMax wrote:

Now open.
Are we talking about the same place? There is Q39 on one end and an unproven pizza restaurant on the other end that hasn't even been open a week. I would LOVE for there to be a real culinary experience here, but not quite sure this qualifies.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

No, I was grouchy and satirizing the over-marketed nature of KCMO right now. Its all hat, no cattle.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

brewcrew1000 wrote:
Agreed on that second point in general, that though is not affecting Sultan's business. Owner said they're baking from 6am until 10pm to keep up with demand. Please check this place out everyone, the price is low and quality is high. One of the good deals happening in KC right now
We made it by there and tried various types of pastries etc... Then brought some home to our extended KC family. Very good and the owner is a very nice guy. I hope he does OK there - it certainly wasn't busy when we stopped by.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

I went here a couple weeks ago and I really enjoyed everything. I hope it can survive, its nice to have a bakery that is a little more healthy on ingredients and is not relying on fats and lots of sugar but i think the general public will be turned off by this because the fats, bright colors with dyes, and sugars is what everyone is use to.[/quote]

Agreed on that second point in general, that though is not affecting Sultan's business. Owner said they're baking from 6am until 10pm to keep up with demand. Please check this place out everyone, the price is low and quality is high. One of the good deals happening in KC right now[/quote]

We made it by there and tried various types of pastries etc... Then brought some home to our extended KC family. Very good and the owner is a very nice guy. I hope he does OK there - it certainly wasn't busy when we stopped by.[/quote]

Sure, its a deli-style place, you grab and go.
It's an urban-style business. People stop, shop and go on shopping elsewhere.
Nobody's setting up the Macbook and camping out around the wi-fi all day.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

Whatever, w 39th st isn't a strip mall. They just added low hanging streetlights that create the illusion of density and walkability! The future is now.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Simply Grooming by Gia, currently right next to Q39 in the strip mall, is moving to the old Roca house (most recently Greener Goose) on NW corner of 39th/Roanoke.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Artego Pizza closed. Always meant to try the place, probably tough going with Q39 sucking all the air out of the room.

http://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/som ... nly-closes