Gram & Dun

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Gram & Dun

Post by StL_Dan »

A very good friend that from Memphis, who is a buddy childhood buddy from my time growing up in StL, is flying into town. He wants to grab some dinner and left the choice up to me.

He's driving a rental from KCI to the OP Marriott. He asked me to pick a restaurant.

I don't want to do the traditional KC stuff i.e. Firoella's Jack Stack, chain restaurant (Houston's, Ruth's Chris, Capital Grille - as much as I love them.).

So, I google the list of Plaza restaurants, thinking we could meet in the middle since I'm coming from JoCo.

I see Gram & Dun. Looks good. One person at work says they really enjoyed their visit.

I KNOW some of you seasoned KC folks have strong/trustworthy opinions of our nicer local dining options. What are your thoughts on G&D. And, do you have other suggestions? I'm open to anything along the I-29/635/dt Loop/Plaza/PV/OP area.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Gram & Dun

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

G/D is good - good menu/food. It's a bit of a "scene" at times. I believe they take reservations - you may want to consider making them. Overall, I just think it's too crowded/loud sometimes (I'm old). You could consider Pot Pie, Westport Cafe and Bar or Rieger - all solid options for a quality dinner.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Agree that G/D is good. My favorite Plaza operation.

I'm hungry for Grunauer, so I'll offer that option.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Thanks for the feedback. I'll do some Googling, but would welcome personal reviews/takes on Pot Pie, Westport Cafe and Bar, Rieger and Grunauer.....what to order, reservations necessary or not, etc.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

StL_Dan wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I'll do some Googling, but would welcome personal reviews/takes on Pot Pie, Westport Cafe and Bar, Rieger and Grunauer.....what to order, reservations necessary or not, etc.

Pot Pie actually has one of my favorite KC strips in town. And it is usually served with these puffed potato pastries that are other-wordly. The Pot Pies are affordable and very good. The atmosphere is my favorite in town - casual neighborhood bistro w/upscale food vibe.

Westport Cafe and Bar is a French bistro - good mussels, creative entrees - and top class cocktails. If you and your friend are high-end cocktail fans, I'd definitely recommend. Again - great atmosphere. Like Pot Pie, it's upscale with a casual vibe.

Rieger is in the crossroads. They have a pretty inventive menu that is more American based. They usually have some fantastic pork, duck and rabbit entrees - along with some standards you'd expect to see. They have a pork soup that is a pork version of French Onion - it is awesome. I also like the atmosphere here - but it's not as cozy as the other two. Manifesto downstairs is always a nice option.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

I'll throw in my vote for Novel.

One of the best restaurants in town, in my opinion. Food is always excellent and is no more expensive than any of the other suggestions here.

Reservations are necessary. The menu changes periodically. But the crudo appetizer and the pork chop are favorites.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I think Gram & Dunn is a really good call. Order the Smokin' Gun cocktail, one of my faves, and the Pig Wings.

G&D is sort of like a stylized local Houston's, with much better bar program and killer patio. It's a pretty hard place to "not like", even it if doesn't end up being your favorite meal ever. Almost all of the food I've tried there is decent to very good. Price point is reasonable and portions shouldn't disappoint a Tennessean.

Reiger, Pot Pie and especially Novel, while really wonderful spots, are much more intimate. Certainly Reiger and Novel at least are doing a different level of food than a G&D.

Westside Local might be another good spot; again like G&D, it's reasonably priced, an appealing menu and good beer/cocktails, and usually lively with a bit of hipster cred. Great beer garden/patio in spring/summer.

All my opinions, so maybe not worth much :)
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Reminder: It is restaurant week in KC through Sunday night the 25th. Many locations will be crazy difficult to get into.

Generally, Grunauer has seating without reservations. Everything is good. Schnitzel, Hungarian goulash, and my favorite steak in KC.

Must agree that Novel is in my top 5 in KC.

If during restaurant week, maybe the lounge menu at Bluestem? It's in that top tier too.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Great feedback. Just what I was looking for. Thanks, all. I'll let you know about our experience.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I agree with WSP on all three. I've never had a bad meal at the Rieger - Howard's pork soup is amazing and he does wonders with steak. Potpie has a limited menu, but every item is a home run - I think their mussels and roasted chicken are the best I've had anywhere. Westport Cafe has a nice happy hour and the steak frites are superb. Reservations at all, as crowds can be hit and miss depending on the day.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

I went online yesterday to D&G's website to reserve a table for 2 tonight at 7:00. Nothing was available between 545 and 845. So, I picked up the phone and called them up. An incredibly nice young lady answered. I told her what I wanted and that my online attempt came up short. She immediately asked me to hold for a moment while she "checked in to some things" for me. She comes back on the line and says, "Could you do 7:30?". Yes. "Well, actually, I have a 7:15 too. Which one would you like?" 7:15 sounds great! She took my name and ph no and bam....I have my reservation.

So far, I'm thoroughly impressed.

Help me out....what are your favorite dishes and drinks at G&D?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

protip: always call even when the online reservations shows full. restos tend to hold some tables available for calls (not sure why), but i have literally never failed to get a table by calling when there wasn't anything available on OpenTable.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

chrizow wrote:protip: always call even when the online reservations shows full. restos tend to hold some tables available for calls (not sure why), but i have literally never failed to get a table by calling when there wasn't anything available on OpenTable.
8)
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

chrizow wrote:protip: always call even when the online reservations shows full. restos tend to hold some tables available for calls (not sure why), but i have literally never failed to get a table by calling when there wasn't anything available on OpenTable.
I imagine it has something to do with not having to give a cut of those tables to OpenTable.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

mean wrote:
I imagine it has something to do with not having to give a cut of those tables to OpenTable.
very likely.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Drank a glass of wine produced in Oregon....interesting. Don't remember the name of it.

Dinner started with the Jackson greens followed by the sirloin, seared, coffee and cocoa crusted. Outstanding.

Washed it all down with a couple of Boulevard draft brews.

Great night. Food was outstanding.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Glad you enjoyed it. My first trip to Gram and Dun was at lunch and I thought it so-so. It's such an eclectic menu that its not that difficult to get something that you may not enjoy all that much. My second time through was a few months ago on a business trip and I had a great meal (Shrimp and Grits). My colleague from Houston was very impressed by the restaurant, the Plaza and KC in general.