Old Bar Natasha spot - (now "Affare")

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Old Bar Natasha spot - (now "Affare")

Post by KCMax »

There is a Groupon for half-off at Affare running today.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

heh. grunauer confirms via twitter that they are, indeed, a large plates restaurant.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

I brought the Groupon, we will probably try it in the next month or so.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

The Groupon fine print:
Additional $2 fee for Textured Alaskan halibut and Geschmorte Bison short rib.
So, you know, be careful how you order.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i had the halibut last night. worth the extra $2.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

I went for lunch today. Had lamb tagine, which doesn't strike me as particularly German (though I guess they may have a large Moroccan immigrant population). Regardless, it was quite good. Pretzel bread and olive selection provided gratis. Nice place, probably 6-7 tables occupied when I was there, mostly older crowd. Something feels just a touch odd about the place, but I can't quite say what. I like it and expect I'll be back.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

this continues to be my favorite restaurant in all of KC. they've really hit a stride with consistency and service. love the evolving menu. i strongly encourage sitting at the bar to watch the antics in the kitchen. definitely german!
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Had the opportunity to try to this place a couple weeks ago and I absolutely loved it. They sat us at a bar table and I was able to watch the antics of the kitchen, what is that flag hanging up in the kitchen, is it west germany or something?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

interesting. we will have to try it again. i thought the food was solid, not great, and didn't have me clamoring to come back. our server one time was competent but weirdly pushy and clearly annoyed that we "only" ordered 4 or 5 dishes. small plates-type meals should be leisurely, but he rushed us in and out in under an hour.

i also think the place is way too huge. when it's mostly empty, it just feels sad and weird, like a failing hotel restaurant. when it's busy it feels anonymous. the vanilla artwork and design is too generic. it doesn't have that "feel" x factor that makes me want to go back and hang out. the owners are super nice though, and i hope it does well.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Finally ate at Affare for dinner this week. It was empty. I guess the construction on Main is a problem, but we drove around to Walnut and had a block of on-street parking to ourselves. From all the Pitch ballyhoo, we expected it to be more of a hassle.

The food was ok. I enjoyed what I had, but it wasn't outstanding. What ended up being the most memorable part of the dinner was whatever I ordered - dinner, drink, dessert - was on the large size, and whatever my wife happened to order was tiny. It got to be kind of a joke between us, but at the prices they're charging a 3 ravioli entree is not something that's going to make me want to come back.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

:roll:
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Nein!
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

"Streetcar Chaos"
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

chaglang wrote::roll:
+1,000,000,000,002
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Affare posted on Facebook that they "Finally have their street parking back". I assume this means we can expect them to begin opening on Mondays for lunch again, since the streetcar construction is what forced them to close. Nevermind the fact that it's a MONDAY and possibly the lowest volume day for people to eat out of the office for lunch?

Aside from that, we are having brunch there this Easter and I'm very much looking forward to it.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

PumpkinStalker wrote:Affare posted on Facebook that they "Finally have their street parking back". I assume this means we can expect them to begin opening on Mondays for lunch again, since the streetcar construction is what forced them to close. Nevermind the fact that it's a MONDAY and possibly the lowest volume day for people to eat out of the office for lunch?

Aside from that, we are having brunch there this Easter and I'm very much looking forward to it.
based on my conversations with them, i'd expect them to stay closed on mondays. everyone needs a day off.

yes, they've been whining, but this is a really great restaurant and we're lucky to have a beard-nominated modern german concept here (can you name another one anywhere near?).

that being said, the water main replacement for 20th street starts this month (prep for the streetscape). who knows what kvetching that will bring?
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

DaveKCMO wrote:
PumpkinStalker wrote:Affare posted on Facebook that they "Finally have their street parking back". I assume this means we can expect them to begin opening on Mondays for lunch again, since the streetcar construction is what forced them to close. Nevermind the fact that it's a MONDAY and possibly the lowest volume day for people to eat out of the office for lunch?

based on my conversations with them, i'd expect them to stay closed on mondays. everyone needs a day off.

yes, they've been whining, but this is a really great restaurant and we're lucky to have a beard-nominated modern german concept here (can you name another one anywhere near?).

that being said, the water main replacement for 20th street starts this month (prep for the streetscape). who knows what kvetching that will bring?
I knew when they closed Mondays it would not mean they magically reopen when construction was over. I simply wish they would have called it what it was. Mondays are slow everywhere.

Obviously their whinyness hasn't detracted me, I made reservations for the family the other day after seeing their post about their parking. (In fact their post gave me the idea to see if they had Easter availability!)