Manny's

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Manny's

Post by Highlander »

Manny Lopez died today (see KC Star article). I remember when his place just started out - it only occupied the front room of the now much larger restaurant. I loved the ambience of the restaurant when it began and KC didn't have that many good Mexican restaurants at the time - for my family, it was either Manny's or Ponak's.

Regardless of how one feels about the quality of the food, I think he deserves some credit for the success of the SW Boulevard restaurant scene.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/ar ... 75142.html
Last edited by Highlander on Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Manny's

Post by earthling »

It's gringo KC cheezmex but not bad for that format. I like their Monterrey burrito though the 'salsa' tastes like pasta sauce, no cilantro/lime. KCK has always been where most of the real street Mex can be found like El Camino Real, San Antonio Market, Ninfa's, El Pollo Rey, and a bunch more on Central Ave.

edit: Just caught that Manny died. Sad to hear, I used to have same barber and have chatted up with him many times.
Last edited by earthling on Mon May 02, 2016 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

earthling wrote:It's gringo KC cheezmex but not bad for that format. I like their Monterrey burrito though the 'salsa' tastes like pasta sauce, no cilantro/lime. KCK has always been where most of the real street Mex can be found like El Camino Real, San Antonio Market, Ninfa's, El Pollo Rey, and a bunch more on Central Ave.
Isn't KCK and Central Avenue a pretty recent phenomena?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

"KC didn't have that many good Mexican restaurants at the time - for my family, it was either Manny's or Ponak's."

We didn't get to that part of town much, stayed south. Mama Tia's, think that's right, on Paseo just north of 85th was a popular spot starting in the mid 70's. Still operating I believe.
There was another at 99th and Holmes. Can't remember the name.
The best, from the tales of many and from my two experiences in the 70's, was a family restaurant in one of those old houses in St. Joe. More Mexican than Tex-Mex.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Patrikio's was at 99th & Holmes.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Highlander wrote:
earthling wrote:It's gringo KC cheezmex but not bad for that format. I like their Monterrey burrito though the 'salsa' tastes like pasta sauce, no cilantro/lime. KCK has always been where most of the real street Mex can be found like El Camino Real, San Antonio Market, Ninfa's, El Pollo Rey, and a bunch more on Central Ave.
Isn't KCK and Central Avenue a pretty recent phenomena?
For White People
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah, KCK has always had among largest Latino population in metro, though did pass black population in last census.