Noodle places

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Noodle places

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

trailerkid wrote: Incentivizing non-smoking businesses would've been a much more pragmatic way of dealing with that issue than banning it outright.
Then it wouldn't have been a health issue.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Then it wouldn't have been a health issue.
Visual pollution is a health issue as well.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

trailerkid wrote: You're right. Mandating policy for the greater good of the community never works.

Incentivizing non-smoking businesses would've been a much more pragmatic way of dealing with that issue than banning it outright.
Well, I did actually suggest they should let restaurants allow smoking if they provide complete health benefits for their employees.

Obviously there are some instances where a mandate is needed. But cities need to be more flexible and creative in looking for solutions to get desired outcomes rather than reaching for the heavy-handed regulation as the first tool. Part of the great things about cities are the diversity, innovation and entrepreneurship of its people, and if we start telling businesses how to handle every aspect of their business, it will have a stifling effect.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCMax wrote: Well, I did actually suggest they should let restaurants allow smoking if they provide complete health benefits for their employees.

Obviously there are some instances where a mandate is needed. But cities need to be more flexible and creative in looking for solutions to get desired outcomes rather than reaching for the heavy-handed regulation as the first tool. Part of the great things about cities are the diversity, innovation and entrepreneurship of its people, and if we start telling businesses how to handle every aspect of their business, it will have a stifling effect.
In terms of design...people in KC are ALREADY pretty much doing whatever the fuck they want. That's the whole problem. And the business community is still stifled even with this laissez-faire attitude toward design. When you start to create cohesive visual landscapes in the city it benefits the business' bottom line as well as the citizen's engagement with the built environment around him/her. You see that from coast to coast.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

trailerkid wrote: In terms of design...people in KC are ALREADY pretty much doing whatever the fuck they want. That's the whole problem. And the business community is still stifled even with this laissez-faire attitude toward design. When you start to create cohesive visual landscapes in the city it benefits the business' bottom line as well as the citizen's engagement with the built environment around him/her. You see that from coast to coast.
So incentivize the behavior you want to see. Work with BIDs on some sort of sign program. There are other solutions. Get creative. I'm not advocating doing absolutely nothing.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCMax wrote: So incentivize the behavior you want to see. I'm not advocating doing absolutely nothing.
OK. So what are the incentives? And where is the incentive $ coming from?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

can a mod break this sidebar signage stuff off.
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

KCMax wrote: No one ever answered this and I have the same question - can anyone get a good bowl of ramen in KC? Seems like fresh-made ramen is a big culinary trend, at least on the coasts. I saw some program on it the other day and it got me jonesing for some good noodles.
I agree, Ramen in L.A. is gaining immense popularity.

Most good ramen places in Cali are Japanese owned.  The problem is that I don't know of any authentic Japanese noodle houses in KC.

Rainbow on 103rd and Metcalf has Ramen on the menu. I've never had it, but you're probably better to walk across the street to the Oriental Market and buy some Shin Ramen and buy the fixings and make it yourself lol.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Friends on 39th Street has ramen, but I've never ordered it, so I can't vouch.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Another ramen noodle shop coming - Waldo.
http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... nk=SubDgst
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

skim82 wrote:
KCMax wrote: No one ever answered this and I have the same question - can anyone get a good bowl of ramen in KC? Seems like fresh-made ramen is a big culinary trend, at least on the coasts. I saw some program on it the other day and it got me jonesing for some good noodles.
I agree, Ramen in L.A. is gaining immense popularity.

Most good ramen places in Cali are Japanese owned.  The problem is that I don't know of any authentic Japanese noodle houses in KC.

Rainbow on 103rd and Metcalf has Ramen on the menu. I've never had it, but you're probably better to walk across the street to the Oriental Market and buy some Shin Ramen and buy the fixings and make it yourself lol.
Looks like we've solved the Ramen shortage (Columbus Park, 2 in midtown, Waldo). What's the hot fad in LA we can expect here in 2022/2023?
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

WSPanic wrote:What's the hot fad in LA we can expect here in 2022/2023?
stan kroenke?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

first time at shio yesterday. loved it! i had the... shio bowl.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Shio pretty good, above avg.

Would love to see a fresh noodle shop counter in KC where you select from a case...

This is actually pasta but I've seen noodle shop counters like this on W coast...
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

earthling wrote:Shio pretty good, above avg.

Would love to see a fresh noodle shop counter in KC where you select from a case...

This is actually pasta but I've seen noodle shop counters like this on W coast...

You would think this is something that Shio would do, they might be the only Ramen shop that has its own noodle machine. This might be a great Idea for Shio to consider if they want to stick out from the other 4
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Would be cool at Shio, but that space is small/narrow. I assume the case would have to be pretty large to contain everything - even for their somewhat limited menu. I could be wrong.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Typically this would be used at 'order at the counter' noodle joints, not sit down service places. Though Shio could easily become a counter joint w/out full service. Not sure why so many KC ethnic eat places think they have to have full service - not aware of any Thai restaurant in KC that isn't full service. KC could use more upper end counter ethnic eats (I mean made-to-order of course). And along streetcar line with lots of pedestrian flow, such places only need a few tables - though there does need to be alot more public seating/benches or pocket parks along line.