GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
WSPanic
Supporter

Re: GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by WSPanic »

Look man, I'm just extremely unproductive today (and tomorrow) at work. I honestly don't know what you're getting at. Does anyone want a one-and-done playoff scenario for this team? No.

I just think there's a fundamental flaw in your arguments. If this were a two-of-three and we lost two in a row - you somehow seem to think our team is a more "legitimate" playoff team. It's arbitrary. I'm sure there were people in 1969 that were reacting the same way to a 5-game series.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

What really gets me mad and want to fill up three pages of a message board is the fact that this is not a true 'World Series'! I mean, there are teams in Japan and Venezuela and Cuba. So illegitimate to call it a World Series.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

A series of any length is better than a one game play-in. The entire rest of the baseball schedule is built around series. We recognize that in any given game, either team could win because of various fluky things, but we expect that as they play more games, the better team will win more often than not. A best of three isn't as good as a best of five, which isn't as good as a best of seven, which isn't as good as a best of nine, and so on, but any of them is better than a single game.

That I guess reads as an argument against the format itself, but like I said, I don't really care about the format and I understand why it's set up the way it is. You said before that you think it'll probably be expanded at some point, and I'm actually not so sure -- the single game actually is the point, to give teams greater incentive to win the division rather than coast after locking up at least a wild card, precisely because a single game is so unpredictable. I mean even the 97-loss 2001 Royals went 3-6 against the 116 win Mariners. What bothers me about the play-in is that I feel pretty confident we would take a series from the A's, but I don't feel confident about our chances against Lester (and if we do win tomorrow, I invite macnw or akp or whoever to scroll through the past few pages of this thread and quote back every line I've written dreading the Lester matchup cuz I would never be happier to be wrong about anything in my life). If we lose to Lester and get bounced, that will be the play-in game doing exactly what it was meant to do. But it won't be at all a satisfying experience. We will have officially broken the drought, but it won't feel that way -- at least not to me.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

Someone that actually makes some sense needs to post in this thread.

Where is mgsports when you need him?!?
p.s. Go Royals!
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

I invite macnw or akp or whoever to scroll through the past few pages of this thread and quote back every line I've written dreading the Lester matchup cuz I would never be happier to be wrong about anything in my life).
Sorry, you can do that yourself. Anyway, The stats from the past may not foretell the future of this single game.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

When will they announce the playoff 25-man roster? Christian Colon? Aaron Crow?
Unknown JimmyD
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Unknown JimmyD »

phuqueue wrote:If we lose to Lester and get bounced, that will be the play-in game doing exactly what it was meant to do. But it won't be at all a satisfying experience. We will have officially broken the drought, but it won't feel that way -- at least not to me.
this is really all that needs to be said... and it's the way i feel about it too. it actually surprises me that there aren't more that feel the same way.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Unknown JimmyD wrote:this is really all that needs to be said... and it's the way i feel about it too. it actually surprises me that there aren't more that feel the same way.
Pathetic! Too cynical to just back your team and be happy we are in the playoffs, you have to start preparing your tender ego for a potential loss already. Weak negativity!
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I'm somehow feeling better about the Royals chances after watching the Chiefs emphatically crush the Patriots last night.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
I invite macnw or akp or whoever to scroll through the past few pages of this thread and quote back every line I've written dreading the Lester matchup cuz I would never be happier to be wrong about anything in my life).
Sorry, you can do that yourself. Anyway, The stats from the past may not foretell the future of this single game.
Eh well you certainly don't have seize the opportunity to gloat if you don't want to but I wouldn't try to argue if you did.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I feel like this game should be played in Dayton. Go NW Alabama St, i mean royals
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Yost, Yost, Yost. Somebody should have taken the keys away from this guy.
Unknown JimmyD
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Unknown JimmyD »

beautyfromashes wrote:
Unknown JimmyD wrote:this is really all that needs to be said... and it's the way i feel about it too. it actually surprises me that there aren't more that feel the same way.
Pathetic! Too cynical to just back your team and be happy we are in the playoffs, you have to start preparing your tender ego for a potential loss already. Weak negativity!
yep, because i disagree with your opinion on the merits of the playoff format, i'm a pathetic royals fan. :roll: i'm behind the royals 100%, even as it looks quite bleak right now as i type this. i just also happen to have an objective view on a poorly structured system and how it relates to my team. expressing that view isn't being cynical.
Unknown JimmyD
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Unknown JimmyD »

what a comeback! extra innings!
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I feel like Perez lost this game, he had a chance to just poke it in the 8th with gore on 3rd, the lost past.balls also cost perez
Unknown JimmyD
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Unknown JimmyD »

HELL YES!!! salvy making up for his awful plate discipline, hosmer coming up with the HUGE triple. so great.

we're in the playoffs! :P
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

So that was an interesting game.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Holy fucking Christ
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

phuqueue wrote:
aknowledgeableperson wrote:
Eh well you certainly don't have seize the opportunity to gloat if you don't want to but I wouldn't try to argue if you did.

Go ahead, start cutting and pasting. :D

Basically I just like to get into discussions of this nature. Serious but not that serious. Tell you what though. About the only stats that foretold this came just might have been the stolen bases. Came into play on two runs, big runs at that.

BTW, a one playoff looks good for right now.