One Light - 13th & Walnut

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Proposed apartment for 13th and Walnut

Post by KCPowercat »

I hope that's not the final design...it's not horrible but pretty meh....and the "ONE LIGHT" is pretty lame.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote:I hope that's not the final design...it's not horrible but pretty meh....and the "ONE LIGHT" is pretty lame.
reposition the 3 cowboy hat people?
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

KCPowercat wrote:I hope that's not the final design...it's not horrible but pretty meh....and the "ONE LIGHT" is pretty lame.
Yea the "one light" is super lame. Buildings should never have words on their crown, ever. The crown of a building is meant to be a beautiful sculpture in the sky... artwork contrasting with the infinite azure. How are you supposed to take in this beauty when you're reading the damn name of the building? At least it's better than it bearing the name of a corporation.

And the building certainly isn't terrible, though I do feel it could have been improved a bit. I really wish they would add another 10 floors or so and do something a little more exceptional with the design, you know... take it to the next level. Definitely should drop the name. Let the architecture itself be its advertisement.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Demosthenes wrote: Buildings should never have words on their crown, ever.
words can work in select cases

like the commerce tower words are part of the skyline.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I'm probably getting too old and not really the demographic of the desired tenant, but I can't imagine spending money like that on rent only to have my apartment open to the blaring techno of the Jones Pool all weekend. Maybe things will be toned down a bit if the Jones is part of the new tower?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

kcjak wrote:I'm probably getting too old and not really the demographic of the desired tenant, but I can't imagine spending money like that on rent only to have my apartment open to the blaring techno of the Jones Pool all weekend. Maybe things will be toned down a bit if the Jones is part of the new tower?

See my above posts. I said the same thing! Also I don't think the Jones demo has the coin for anything but a studio at 1PL (we're calling it that, right?).
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

smh wrote:
kcjak wrote:I'm probably getting too old and not really the demographic of the desired tenant, but I can't imagine spending money like that on rent only to have my apartment open to the blaring techno of the Jones Pool all weekend. Maybe things will be toned down a bit if the Jones is part of the new tower?

See my above posts. I said the same thing! Also I don't think the Jones demo has the coin for anything but a studio at 1PL (we're calling it that, right?).

Building will fill, and quickly. Those rents will escalate. It's a new world Kemosabe.

Yep. Name seriously sucks. I can hear a ripoff of "One Love" being played in the ad campaign.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

loftguy wrote:
smh wrote:

Building will fill, and quickly. Those rents will escalate. It's a new world Kemosabe.

Yep. Name seriously sucks. I can hear a ripoff of "One Love" being played in the ad campaign.

Oh, I have no doubt it will fill. I just don't think it will be with people who want the Jones outside their window. Which is why, like ColumbusParkian seemed to confirm, the Jones will be closing and become a pool for the residents/members. Hopefully.
ThorsteinVeblen
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ThorsteinVeblen »

The rendering made the pool appear different so it might be the case that it becomes a pool for the apartment structure. I will say that I live a block away and can only hear the music on weekends as the weekdays are normally quiet or a private corporate event. Most of the tenants are going to be two types of people in my opinion. Indian Med Students whose parents pay the rent and professionals in their mid to upper 20s early 30s. The Indian Med Students are usually partying on the weekends anyways and those with jobs may find something else to do other than sit in their apartments on a Saturday in the summer. All in all I just don't see it being a major issue one way or another. The summer pool season is relatively brief and the Jones gets most of its business on the weekends.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

construction barriers going up right now!
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

DaveKCMO wrote:construction barriers going up right now!
Yep. JEDunn crews were there doing some stuff and they took down the parking structure components and have shut down lanes adjacent to the site.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

It's possible to have all at once-

Grand blocked by Cordish for an event
Walnut construction barriers (one light)
Main track work
Baltimore construction barriers (midland)
Wyandotte convention traffic
Central convention closing (not common but it happens)
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Hopefully future me remembers to not drive south of my apartment during the (Rockhurst? UMKC?) graduation ceremonies. That was bad enough last year.

(On a side note, I've already seen several cars drive south on the remaining open northbound lane on Walnut; I can only imagine the chaos as the weekend P&L crowd encounters it for the first time...)
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

DaveKCMO wrote:construction barriers going up right now!
Awesome news! Finally!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

Work has officially begun! The digging started earlier today after the groundbreaking originally planned for yesterday got postponed due to weather.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Excited to see this finished already!
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

hopefully some one has their camera ready to take weekly if not monthly updates on the construction progress. it'll be nice to see how this looks in the skyline.

after that ...bring on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th towers.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

LCDSI wrote:hopefully some one has their camera ready to take weekly if not monthly updates on the construction progress. it'll be nice to see how this looks in the skyline.

after that ...bring on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th towers.
I will definitely be taking update photos once it starts moving forward a bit.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »