One Light - 13th & Walnut

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: Proposed apartment for 13th and Walnut

Post by KCLover »

Picture I took yesterday afternoon coming into downtown with the Tower crane up.

Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

Awesome! I really wish Cordish would add another 10 stories to this building... at least. Maybe even double it. I bet this building leases out fast, so I don't think it would have any trouble if they added height to it. They could even charge more for some of the apartments because the higher they go, the more desirable they are.

Maybe if it leases quickly enough they will not only start up the other buildings, but increase their height too.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Demosthenes wrote:Maybe if it leases quickly enough they will not only start up the other buildings, but increase their height too.
it's not just them. if they show they can fill their building quickly then it allow other future projects to scale up in size. there's plenty of new structure projects downtown that are still in a position to add units.

like a P&L Building project is having trouble making financial sense over and over. But if they can have proof they could add to the north lot another 50 units and fill them it could make sense to do sooner
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

Anyone take any pictures recently of the construction site?

Just curious how many floors they have up , if anything worth noting.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

About the only thing above ground right now is rebar for the columns.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Eon Blue wrote:About the only thing above ground right now is rebar for the columns.
Foundation work always takes forever. I bet they're waiting for the base to fully cure/settle before they start building up. Look at the months of fill settling for River Market West and that was just dirt.

Don't want to rush the strength of this part.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

flyingember wrote:Foundation work always takes forever. I bet they're waiting for the base to fully cure/settle before they start building up. Look at the months of fill settling for River Market West and that was just dirt.

I believe they're using drilled shaft foundations for One Light. The mechanics of those are different than the slab-on-grade construction of RMW where they had to overconsolidate the grade. That said, you're correct that you definitely want to get the foundation of a 23-story tower right!
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Eon Blue wrote:
flyingember wrote:Foundation work always takes forever. I bet they're waiting for the base to fully cure/settle before they start building up. Look at the months of fill settling for River Market West and that was just dirt.

I believe they're using drilled shaft foundations for One Light. The mechanics of those are different than the slab-on-grade construction of RMW where they had to overconsolidate the grade. That said, you're correct that you definitely want to get the foundation of a 23-story tower right!
Future international landmark?

chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

smh wrote: Future international landmark?

You've gotta be kidding me. Have you seen the vacancy rate on that place? It's like 100%. Even worse than the P&L Building!
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Leaning Boondoggle of Pisa
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

I've been out of KC since early May, hope to be back in a couple weeks...till then, I'm curious if there has been any above ground progress on this building? Any pictures? Can't wait to get back into town and see all the progress on the buildings around the core!
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

mgh7676 wrote:I've been out of KC since early May, hope to be back in a couple weeks...till then, I'm curious if there has been any above ground progress on this building? Any pictures? Can't wait to get back into town and see all the progress on the buildings around the core!
I don't have pictures I can readily upload here but base support is going up and the first floor cross beams are being installed.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

This one is from the 19th.
ThorsteinVeblen
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ThorsteinVeblen »

http://www.kansascity.com/living/star-m ... 97199.html

He indicated that they are accelerating plans for the second tower based on prospective demand for the first one.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

but we haven’t done any marketing yet — we’re getting ready to start a marketing campaign — but so far we have 500 people on a list of prospective tenants.
I like the grocery store point about 450 people in one tower
one person can eat around $30 worth of groceries per week.
this is $700,000 per year spent just at a grocery store

that's $65000 in sales taxes. across the 25-year tax abatement period that's $1.62 million
the property tax abatement is $2.87 million.

so just one weekly expense is already half the value of one incentive. that's a great starting point for making the money back

it's going to take a lot more to get to the $7.5 million in direct assistance but it's not an unrealistic goal.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

ThorsteinVeblen wrote:http://www.kansascity.com/living/star-m ... 97199.html

He indicated that they are accelerating plans for the second tower based on prospective demand for the first one.
That's good to hear, although trumping up the demand could just be a marketing ploy.

Did any of the plans outline where the second tower would be?
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:

That's good to hear, although trumping up the demand could just be a marketing ploy.

I believe the remaining towers are all planned for the parking lots where the mural is.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote:
KCtoBrooklyn wrote:

I believe the remaining towers are all planned for the parking lots where the mural is.
2x flanking Walnut along Truman Road North
1x along Baltimore between 14th and Truman Road North

the skyline is going to majorly change with all four from the liberty memorial. like the President will be largely hidden be one. 1201 Walnut will be half covered. H&R Block ~1/2 hidden
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I think the question is which of the remaining towers is Two Light (or whatever it's called) - the one along Baltimore or one of the two flanking Walnut.