P&L District: 13th & Walnut Site Proposal

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: P&L District: 13th & Walnut Site Proposal

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

pash wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:Heard Makers Mark is being replaced with a "gastropub"???
The Star: Local Pig's Alex Pope will be culinary director of a new P&L restaurant
Alex Pope, a founder and partner in the Local Pig, will be culinary director of Cleaver & Cork, a new restaurant in the Power & Light district. ...

Pope is creating Cleaver & Cork’s menu, focusing on fresh, high-quality ingredients from local sources, as well as fresh seafood that will be flown in daily. Menu items will include Local Pig sausage soup, zucchini fritters, a bacon and oyster Sandwich, red beet risotto, pork osso bucco and dry-aged KC Strip steaks. ...

The district has recently been focusing more on local culinary talent. ...

“Kansas City is making it clear that it will support well-executed local concepts,” said Nick Benjamin, executive director of the district.

But Power & Light still plans to keep a strong mix of regional and national tenants, too. ...
Interesting choice of names. While growing up in south KC, Cork and Cleaver at 103rd and State Line was a top dining place in the days before Kansas allowed restaurants to sell anything but 3.2 beer. It may have been a chain - wonder if switching the name around was due to trademark issues.
ULCajun
Pad site
Pad site

Post by ULCajun »

Got to taste a couple dishes from Cleaver & Cork last night. Was very impressed with what they had. Look forward to sampling the entire menu.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

ULCajun wrote:Got to taste a couple dishes from Cleaver & Cork last night. Was very impressed with what they had. Look forward to sampling the entire menu.
we have a reservation for friday night. excited!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

ULCajun wrote:Got to taste a couple dishes from Cleaver & Cork last night. Was very impressed with what they had. Look forward to sampling the entire menu.
The pork slider was good but the other two items I can't imagine would be on the menu...felt more like their catering option.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

Wisconsin’s Leinenkugel brewery to open restaurant and bar in Power & Light
Wisconsin’s Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Co. will open a flagship restaurant and bar in Kansas City’s Power & Light District.
It will take a 6,000-square-foot space at 1323 Walnut St. connecting to an expanded patio area in the Kansas City Live block. Tengo Sed Cantina formerly occupied the space but closed Monday.
http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 48300.html
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Leinenkugel’s restaurant/bar:Gordon Biersch::Yard House:Flying Saucer

It's almost like Cordish is trying to intentionally annoy its longer-term P&L tenants, or something.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

or the people that live downtown and spend time down there. this! adds! nothing!
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

swid wrote:Leinenkugel’s restaurant/bar:Gordon Biersch::Yard House:Flying Saucer

It's almost like Cordish is trying to intentionally annoy its longer-term P&L tenants, or something.
With so many genre's missing from the district, duplicating existing establishments seems so counterproductive. It's Kansas City for gods sake - where's Bar-B-Que? No Mexican other than Chipotle. I guess Drunken Fish is the token Asian place? Italian? A good hamburger joint?
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

Highlander wrote:
swid wrote:Leinenkugel’s restaurant/bar:Gordon Biersch::Yard House:Flying Saucer

A good hamburger joint?
Is there a single quick fast-food type burger place downtown?* I feel like a 5 Guys type of place would kill in the loop with both the lunch and the dinner/late night crowd.

*just remembered that the whopper bar exists
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Highlander wrote:

With so many genre's missing from the district, duplicating existing establishments seems so counterproductive. It's Kansas City for gods sake - where's Bar-B-Que? No Mexican other than Chipotle. I guess Drunken Fish is the token Asian place? Italian? A good hamburger joint?
Yes all of these things should be on their radar....
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Outside of the P&L District, with their non-compete segment limitations and high rents, there just aren't that many existing retail spaces that are set up well for restaurants.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Since Ok Joe's does not want to operate in Missouri, could someone operate a Joe's Franchise or is it to close to the original location
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

It doesn't even have to be an established BBQ name. Look at Q39. It's always packed because they have good food. Go to the AR BBQ Festival and pick one of the winners who want to open a restaurant. Should have had a BBQ place years ago.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

Everything else already said is dead on (except I think BRGR would take exception at the lack of burger joint comment - not my favorite but at least it's a local semi-chain place). This line from the Star article linked above is what gives me no hope for this place “We are brewers, we are not restaurant operators. So Cordish’s ECI (management company) will be running the restaurant,” Leinenkugel said. Cordish Cos. operate the Power & Light District." Seems they are just slapping the brand name on another generic restaurant concept that won't last, particularly with all the competition in the beer market already there.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

droopy wrote:Everything else already said is dead on (except I think BRGR would take exception at the lack of burger joint comment - not my favorite but at least it's a local semi-chain place).
For the record, I was talking about quicker burger joints. I like BRGR, but don't always want to take a long lunch and/or spend $10+ on a burger meal.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

mgh7676 wrote:
droopy wrote:Everything else already said is dead on (except I think BRGR would take exception at the lack of burger joint comment - not my favorite but at least it's a local semi-chain place).
For the record, I was talking about quicker burger joints. I like BRGR, but don't always want to take a long lunch and/or spend $10+ on a burger meal.
A larger (2-3x) Town Topic location within the P & L would be an off the charts success.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

I can't believe there is not even a McDonald's or Wendy's downtown with all the new residential and more on its way. I work downtown and I seriously sometimes cannot find anything appealing that is quick.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

True, I think of things in terms of joints vs restaurants (LC's/Bryants are joints, Jack Stack is a restaurant) but didn't follow my own terminology here. Town Topic or Winsteads would be good joints to have in the PnL (compared to BRGR restaurant) but don't seem to fit what Cordish's desires. Chipotle and Whopper are the only thing close to those and are obviously major brands. Johnnies and BRGR are the only local brands in there arent they? Oh, Bristol too. Isnt everything else is a national chain or a Cordish operation?