Politics

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Politics

Post by flyingember »

I was the 36th person at 7:15am. That's Briarcliff north to Englewood and west of Gladstone, around by the airport to what's left of Harlem
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

HuffPost on Kasich getting GOP nomination with Rubio as running mate. Rubio has been saving his delegates, can apply to convention case for Kasich/Rubio ticket...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/seth-abra ... ml?ref=yfp

This will be an issue for DEMs if played out. Kasich so far showing as only GOP who could beat Hillary and closest to compete with Bernie. But it's state level electoral that wins general, not popular vote. Kasich/Rubio would need FL, VA, and/or PA - would likely get OH. Is still plausible.

However if Trump is outcasted and runs indie or encourages his already angry followers to spoil GOP with no vote or write-in, anything could happen. Even MO could possibly turn blue.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I don't see how Trump doesn't run at this point. His ego won't let him not run, especially if he feels the GOP has slighted or insulted him. He'll run just to punish them.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Trump doesn't even need to run indie. His base is already so angry that if he is ousted, Trump would have no problem taking revenge by just encouraging no vote or write-in. It wouldn't be surprising if he even endorses his good ole gal pal Hillary.

And if Kasich gets in, Cruz followers will be pissed off too about a 'fixed' election process, but most would still rather have any GOP in.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Trump will spin whatever outcome as being his plan all along. That is his M.O. and it won't change.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

They'll give it to Cruz. The gop will need that base to be viable in the future.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Mainstream GOP dislike Cruz almost as much as Trump and I suspect many moderate independents dislike Cruz more than Trump. Cruz has a lot of evangelicals/nationalists that feel duty to vote - they'll vote any GOP over a no show. And Kasich had a lot of tea party support to get him elected. Kasich is full blown GOP, just more moderate and more inclusive than others. GOP need to be more careful to attract moderate independents than placating far right. Moderate independents represent about 1/3 of voting base.

No matter what GOP ends up with, they'll be pissing off a large part of their base but if they want a shot, they should go with Kasich.

And if Kasich is in and Hillary looks to lead with delegates, I wonder if DEM convention (a week or so after GOP convention) would pursue a Hillary/Bernie ticket as Hillary may not be able to beat Kasich. I don't think Bernie would go for Hillary running mate even if pressured by DEM party.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I wouldn't characterize Kasich as "tea party".
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

grovester wrote:I wouldn't characterize Kasich as "tea party".
Agreed. He works across the aisle. He can be a conservative if needed and then a moderate when needed. I guess he is either a conservative moderate or a moderate conservative if there are categories for that.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

He was also part of the gop establishment when he was in congress pre-tea party.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Kasich barely won his 2010 governor election, attributed to Ohio tea party support. He's a GOP fiscal conservative, just not socially radical right as Cruz, Huckabee or Carson and not as whacko as Trump, which makes him relatively moderate and best chance to attract right leaning moderate independents. And GOP needs moderate independents as the far right will vote GOP anyway.

(As a left-leaning independent I don't support or promote Kasich, just saying he is GOP's best shot.)
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

True for Kasich in 2010 but in 2014 he won 64% to 33% while winning 86 of the 88 Ohio counties while losing much of the Tea Party support.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Barbara Shelly is now writing for Pitch.

Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback can't hide from his false promises

http://www.pitch.com/news/article/20630 ... e-promises
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
grovester wrote:I wouldn't characterize Kasich as "tea party".
Agreed. He works across the aisle. He can be a conservative if needed and then a moderate when needed. I guess he is either a conservative moderate or a moderate conservative if there are categories for that.
He's a conservative conservative. He seems to get credit for being a moderate because he has a reasonable personality. But, he is much more conservative than the general population seems to think he is.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

WSPanic wrote:...he is much more conservative than the general population seems to think he is.
This. Every time I think he is starting to make good points and use reason and logic (from my biased more liberal perspective), he goes off on a crazy tangent that makes me wonder who took over the controls of his brain.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

bobbyhawks wrote:
WSPanic wrote:...he is much more conservative than the general population seems to think he is.
This. Every time I think he is starting to make good points and use reason and logic (from my biased more liberal perspective), he goes off on a crazy tangent that makes me wonder who took over the controls of his brain.
I have decided that this is what the real-life zombie invasion looks like...
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

If the Conservatives get up the will to do it I seriously doubt Cruz would be the candidate. He has already tried and failed this year. And those Conservatives should wake up and realize running a 3rd party candidate will only get Hillary elected.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Now that Trump is likely in, Republicans 'for her'...
http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2016/ ... y/?ref=yfp

This will now become more interesting to track from this point even though state level matters, not popular vote...
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... -5491.html

Would like to see MO and KS Clinton vs Trump polls. I wonder if MO could go blue even if just 2 horse race.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

earthling wrote:Now that Trump is likely in, Republicans 'for her'...
http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2016/ ... y/?ref=yfp

This will now become more interesting to track from this point even though state level matters, not popular vote...
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... -5491.html

Would like to see MO and KS Clinton vs Trump polls. I wonder if MO could go blue even if just 2 horse race.
Lots of mad people in the Republican party. I think there are a lot of people overreacting in the short term, but it will be interesting to see if these same "for her" conservatives are planning to vote in October at all, if they will move to a protest vote instead, or if they will have the George-W.-Bush-second-term-election "moment of clarity" in the voting booth and vote for the Republican nominee.

Maybe I'm out of it, but I keep hearing Trump supporters and the "liberal media" claiming that Trump has swayed a lot of former Dem voters to his side in the primaries. Maybe this isn't the type of Democrat I tend to consort with, but has anyone out there spoken with someone who voted for Obama in 2012 that is going to vote for Trump? I'd just love to understand the logic. So far it is only explained to me by people who obviously never voted for Obama, or who are obviously not going to vote for Trump.