KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Uber/Lyft ride-sharing in Kansas City

Post by KCPowercat »

kboish wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:
earthling wrote:Uber now legal in KC...
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... legal.html

Are there any other cities they operate entirely legally?
A later tweet said only because they aren't charging for the rides (they are charging for the rides though?)
Probably ask for a "donation". Thats what Lyft is doing.
That's not how the app works. It just charges you...
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Lyft? It suggests a donation based on the ride you take. you can then choose to tip or not reduce the amount all the way to zero...it does however give a fairly stern warning that you will likely not get future rides if you do not donate the suggested amount at minimum.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Uber
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I took Lyft 3 times this weekend, they are doing some deal where they offer 10 25 dollar rides for free until 8/10. It kind of cool seeing the lyft cars on your app, when one was close by i would then request it and the wait was not very long. It is a little harder requesting a lyft from the Northland but Midtown is super easy since most of just hanging out in parking lots. I like the service and I will always use this if i need a cab. Most of the drivers drive for Uber as well, not sure why you would take Uber since its more expensive.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Dirty play going on. From CNBC.com
Now rival service Lyft provided evidence to CNN that the company employs dirty tricks in order to grind its rivals.

Lyft said that 117 Uber employees ordered and deliberately cancelled 5,560 Lyft rides since October of last year. False requests like this cost Lyft drivers time and gas, and also reduce the availability of the company's cars, which would increase demand for Uber cars.

(It's not the first time Uber's been accused of using tactics like this.) The story notes that there's no evidence directly linking the call-and-cancellations to Uber's corporate office.

Earlier this month CNN reported that Uber warned its New York City drivers against also working for a rival company, saying that that it's against city regulations. The city's Taxi and Limousine Commission said that's not in fact the case.
There is a more detailed story on money.cnn.com.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I used Uber quite a bit on a recent trip to San Diego, and would absolutely use again in KC. Has anyone used the service here? How does frequency, service, compare to other cities?
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

rxlexi wrote:I used Uber quite a bit on a recent trip to San Diego, and would absolutely use again in KC. Has anyone used the service here? How does frequency, service, compare to other cities?
I love it. They have irked some drivers recently by lowering the cost quite a bit, but that is quite a benefit for riders at the moment. One driver equated it to a situation in Dallas where they lowered the price to grab customers. Once everyone started to rely on the service, and awareness was sufficient, they were able to increase over time.

I live in the downtown area, though, so YMMV in the suburbs. The longest wait I have had for a car is 5 minutes. It is normally around 3 minutes to my house. The drivers are not allowed to know where your destination is until you are in the car, so they pretty much have to respond to every hail.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Great, thanks for the feedback bobbyhawks. I will primarily be using between downtown/midtown.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

rxlexi wrote:I used Uber quite a bit on a recent trip to San Diego, and would absolutely use again in KC. Has anyone used the service here? How does frequency, service, compare to other cities?
Use it all the time. Until they surge then I go to TaxiMagic or Z-Trip. I always find an uber available.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote:
Use it all the time. Until they surge then I go to TaxiMagic or Z-Trip. I always find an uber available.
Speaking of surge, I tried to use Uber the other night from Westport to Downtown. Fare estimate said $1,700-2,200. I took a cab. What gives with that?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

smh wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:
Speaking of surge, I tried to use Uber the other night from Westport to Downtown. Fare estimate said $1,700-2,200. I took a cab. What gives with that?
lol, wow....no idea. I've seen surge pricing up to like 4.5x....but even that would only be like $30-50 for that route.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote:
lol, wow....no idea. I've seen surge pricing up to like 4.5x....but even that would only be like $30-50 for that route.
I refreshed it a couple of times. I mean, I had enjoyed a few libations at the Boulevard pub crawl. But still. I think I had my wits about me and yet could not sort out why it was giving me that price.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Maybe "Westport" defaulted to St Louis Westport neighborhood?

I used Uber last Friday to get from Westport to Crossroads - stopping on Armour to pick a friend up. It was great - $7-$10 fare estimate - and it was the high end.

I will definitely be using it again.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

smh wrote: Speaking of surge, I tried to use Uber the other night from Westport to Downtown. Fare estimate said $1,700-2,200. I took a cab. What gives with that?
64108 to Westport, CT quotes out at $1,644-2,192. This is probably what it tried to quote you on.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

brewcrew1000 wrote:
smh wrote: Speaking of surge, I tried to use Uber the other night from Westport to Downtown. Fare estimate said $1,700-2,200. I took a cab. What gives with that?
64108 to Westport, CT quotes out at $1,644-2,192. This is probably what it tried to quote you on.
Could be, but I typed in my destination and used GPS for pick up (in Westport). Very strange.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Beer thumbs
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

grovester wrote:Beer thumbs
I'm still not ruling this out. The more this conversation goes on, the more I sound like my parents when they talk about computers.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

brewcrew1000 wrote:
That kind of seems like a deal.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

uber's valuation is now $40 billion: http://techcrunch.com/2014/12/04/uber-c ... expansion/