KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Transportation topics in KC
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by flyingember »

so this project continues to impress.

the team has great communication going on.
the project is working hard to keep streets open

this is a project that should set the expectations for how to do a road closing project downtown in the future
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

this project is looking like an Oprah cliche in terms of how many segments are getting track at the same time

you get track, you get track, you get track!
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Is the rail pull on Main to south of Pershing to allow for demolition of the Walnut Flyway?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Eon Blue wrote:Is the rail pull on Main to south of Pershing to allow for demolition of the Walnut Flyway?
that was slated to happen before the end of the year, so yeah. at this pace, all of the mainline (non-curve) track will probably be in the ground before the end of 2014 anyway.

it's worth noting that the water line replacement is driving much of the schedule at this point (and almost all of the mess).
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote:
Eon Blue wrote:Is the rail pull on Main to south of Pershing to allow for demolition of the Walnut Flyway?
that was slated to happen before the end of the year, so yeah. at this pace, all of the mainline (non-curve) track will probably be in the ground before the end of 2014 anyway.

it's worth noting that the water line replacement is driving much of the schedule at this point (and almost all of the mess).
that would be a serious speed up, since there's one segment not currently expected to get track until next year
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/ar ... 74175.html
“We plan to deliver on the promise we made to Downtown that we would deliver high-frequency service,” Johnson said Thursday.

The streetcars will run from 6 a.m. to midnight Mondays through Thursdays, from 6 a.m. to 2 a.m. on Fridays, 7 a.m. to 2 a.m. Saturdays and 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Sundays.

Under the schedule approved Thursday, streetcars will generally run every 12 minutes along the River Market to Union Station route from 6 a.m. to 11 a.m.; every 10 minutes from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., and every 12 minutes from 7 p.m. to midnight.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

more coverage on operating hours, plus how cisco's smart city proposal will integrate.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... ssion.html
Blackburn said the project will utilize a number of sensors to gather information around the streetcar line. He said visual sensors, like cameras, would be able to monitor the number of riders, watch for cars blocking the streetcar line and collect other data that could help the authority manage the line and gather information about riders and peak demand periods.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

DaveKCMO wrote:http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/ar ... 74175.html
“We plan to deliver on the promise we made to Downtown that we would deliver high-frequency service,” Johnson said Thursday.

The streetcars will run from 6 a.m. to midnight Mondays through Thursdays, from 6 a.m. to 2 a.m. on Fridays, 7 a.m. to 2 a.m. Saturdays and 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Sundays.

Under the schedule approved Thursday, streetcars will generally run every 12 minutes along the River Market to Union Station route from 6 a.m. to 11 a.m.; every 10 minutes from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., and every 12 minutes from 7 p.m. to midnight.
That Johnson guy needs his own theme song. He's kind of like the white Shaft! Can you dig it.....?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

With bars closing at 3:00 in the morning wouldn't it make sense to run to at least that time?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

How many bars stay open until 3 a.m. along the route?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I'm intrigued why peak city market doesn't get 10 minute headways on Saturdays. It's the only place downtown that has parking issues.

this is one place where I would expect to see hit heavily with transit use, especially with the plans to redo two of the four lots in the planning stages and another lot already out of commission
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

FangKC wrote:How many bars stay open until 3 a.m. along the route?
within a couple blocks? 10-20 I would guess.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

That seems to merit running the streetcar until 3 a.m. then.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

FangKC wrote:That seems to merit running the streetcar until 3 a.m. then.
I disagree. Likely to be so few people, relatively, that it would not be cost effective to run the extra hour.

Besides, it will be an incentive for me to get home an hour earlier....
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The schedule isn't set in stone. Proven need will drive more coverage

Like I think Saturday frequency needs to be higher for the city market and grocery trips. Let's prove it.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

If you are thinking about the 2 AM stop time from a purely bar-visitation, late-night perspective, I think it makes sense. The last trip home at 2:30 AM or later is more likely to be a long ride home/somewhere outside of the path of the streetcar. If you wait until after 2 AM to change destinations along the streetcar's path, you barely even get to go inside most places before they start flickering the lights at you.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I disagree. Likely to be so few people, relatively, that it would not be cost effective to run the extra hour.

Besides, it will be an incentive for me to get home an hour earlier....
Agreed on both counts :)
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but I didn't know there was a KCMO public transit question on the ballot today. Is it supposed to cover streetcar expansion costs or would it be extra/for other projects?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Chastain malarkey.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

shaffe wrote:Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but I didn't know there was a KCMO public transit question on the ballot today. Is it supposed to cover streetcar expansion costs or would it be extra/for other projects?
gondolas and what have you.