KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Transportation topics in KC
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by flyingember »

does anyone know the temperature minmum to continue work? From a safety standpoint I wouldn't want people outside working but I imagine there's some point that certain work can't be done.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

flyingember wrote:does anyone know the temperature minmum to continue work? From a safety standpoint I wouldn't want people outside working but I imagine there's some point that certain work can't be done.
i asked this yesterday... no single digits, not even raising steel on the VMF. yesterday was the only total work stoppage aside from weekends and holidays (and there is actually work going on most weekends).
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

That pitch article was hilarious...I kept waiting to read the financial impact...then the question came...and everybody says they are doing good and most saying one of the best years ever. I mean damn I know it's an annoyance and a mess.....but to make a cover story about "will these chefs make it" and they are going gangbusters....seriously.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Affare still seems to be having problems. A friend ate there a few days ago and the owner mentioned to him that they'd nearly had to close a couple of times.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

chaglang wrote:Affare still seems to be having problems. A friend ate there a few days ago and the owner mentioned to him that they'd nearly had to close a couple of times.
Can anyone who has eaten there recently vouch for the place? I've only spoken with a few friends who have been, but they seemed to enjoy it. The current menu doesn't look like they are still with the small plates, unless those plates are very expensive. I think that was one of the factors in some of my friends not returning (small plates added up and cost them a lot more than anticipated).
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

chaglang wrote:Affare still seems to be having problems. A friend ate there a few days ago and the owner mentioned to him that they'd nearly had to close a couple of times.
Affare has problems with the basics starting with their sign. how is someone to know they're actually a restaurant?

go through the crossroads in street view to see how different places do it. it's roughly August streetcar work showing so it's recent

Start at Anton's. look at their sign. bright, attention getting. visible without having to find it Includes the word "restaurant" on it. So if you drive by you know exactly what the place is. they write on their windows to give more details about what they sell

Nara doesn't put restaurant on the sign but their sign is visible from the street in the same way. and they took advantage and put the same on the side of their building for good visibility from the north

the pitch has the same large visible sign. so you can see what's there though they don't say they're a newspaper. not important since they don't need to draw people, just help people find them who need to go there

Bulldog's main sign isn't wonderful but it's clear and the side of the building clearly says "restaurant" on it. the front could be more clear

gallup's front says exactly what they do on the front. no good from a distance but very clear.

the place to the north of Michael's isn't clear what they are but the tables out front gives a good idea. I think they put a sign up since this view. they should if they haven't

michael's is the definition of great signage. a clear sign from the street and both sides of the building is painted

Michael Smith has bad signage. they say what they do but it's easily hidden by a parked car.

The Rieger's front sign is small but the side of the building is clear. a larger front sign would be smart for them

the tattoo shop at 2006 couldn't be any clearer what they do.

So you can see how Affare's sign is vague. they put the name of the place. there's a banner in that view but I can't read it. and if it's not legible from street view someone driving wouldn't be reading it either. if they would add "modern german cuisine" to the front of the building" or a Nara-esque sign with the word "restautrant" on it they would go a long way to basic visibility.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

bobbyhawks wrote:
Can anyone who has eaten there recently vouch for the place? I've only spoken with a few friends who have been, but they seemed to enjoy it. The current menu doesn't look like they are still with the small plates, unless those plates are very expensive. I think that was one of the factors in some of my friends not returning (small plates added up and cost them a lot more than anticipated).
I ate there last April and again in October. The food I had was good but not great and the entire experience both times was underwhelming, pricey and was still hungry afterward. There are many other places I enjoy spending my time and money at, but I wish the folks at Affare all the best.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mykn

Post by mykn »

bobbyhawks wrote:
I'm pretty sure Dave is keeping them in business single handedly.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

bobbyhawks wrote:
I like it...brunch is pretty great. That said as FE pointed out, they could do more to help themselves vs. just playing the blame game.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

I am not sure if this was answered before, but will the city repave the roads for the starter line before it operates?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Yes
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

DaveKCMO wrote:Yes
Thanks
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

flyingember wrote:
Affare has problems with the basics starting with their sign. how is someone to know they're actually a restaurant?

go through the crossroads in street view to see how different places do it. it's roughly August streetcar work showing so it's recent

Start at Anton's. look at their sign. bright, attention getting. visible without having to find it Includes the word "restaurant" on it. So if you drive by you know exactly what the place is. they write on their windows to give more details about what they sell

Nara doesn't put restaurant on the sign but their sign is visible from the street in the same way. and they took advantage and put the same on the side of their building for good visibility from the north

the pitch has the same large visible sign. so you can see what's there though they don't say they're a newspaper. not important since they don't need to draw people, just help people find them who need to go there

Bulldog's main sign isn't wonderful but it's clear and the side of the building clearly says "restaurant" on it. the front could be more clear

gallup's front says exactly what they do on the front. no good from a distance but very clear.

the place to the north of Michael's isn't clear what they are but the tables out front gives a good idea. I think they put a sign up since this view. they should if they haven't

michael's is the definition of great signage. a clear sign from the street and both sides of the building is painted

Michael Smith has bad signage. they say what they do but it's easily hidden by a parked car.

The Rieger's front sign is small but the side of the building is clear. a larger front sign would be smart for them

the tattoo shop at 2006 couldn't be any clearer what they do.

So you can see how Affare's sign is vague. they put the name of the place. there's a banner in that view but I can't read it. and if it's not legible from street view someone driving wouldn't be reading it either. if they would add "modern german cuisine" to the front of the building" or a Nara-esque sign with the word "restautrant" on it they would go a long way to basic visibility.

Good points. Just what I was saying on the Film Row Building Demolished thread.

http://kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1 ... 66#p539466

Again, we have to start taking more serious signage in this City--at least downtown. We have millions of new visitors and they need help finding things. Human nature is such that people will not venture very far unless they see a payoff--that something is further down the street. You can tell a hotel guest where a restaurant is (19th and Main), but they won't trust themselves enough to proceed that way for very long before giving up. They begin to think they are lost. "I don't see it. I think we made a wrong turn, or are maybe going the wrong way." Remember that a lot of people have very bad senses of direction, and are timid about exploring. This is especially true if they have to cross a freeway bridge, and maybe walk several blocks where there are gaps in retail businesses, and surface parking lots along the way.

Flyingember makes good points. You have to see the place is coming up on your journey, and one has to know what the business is; it's purpose. Even if they can't see the Affare sign, or Michael Smith's; they will proceed is they see other landmarks--especially if the person who gave directions says: "You walk past Anton's, the Bulldog, Gallap Maps, Michael's Formal Wear, and the Monroe Hotel. Then look on the (right) (left) side of the street."
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

FangKC wrote:Remember that a lot of people have very bad senses of direction, and are timid about exploring.
I was recently walking on the streetcar line taking photos. Had a guy at 16th St ask me where 18th St was.

*two* blocks away and could see the overhead sign.

I don't blame him for asking.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

NB now goes from before the crossover at Union Station through to just before 13th and just north of 7th through to just before 3rd. So there's 6 blocks left on that side. The turn onto 5th is a huge difference in grade from what's there today.

SB remains where it was last year. Truman Rd North through to halfway from 17th to 18th and the trench bridge. They were working on the dig out to about 19th today
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

Something I'm a bit curious about: Was it not possible to work on one section of the streetcar line at a time until completion of that section, and then move on to the next section? Instead of putting up cones along the entire length of the line from day one and working on different parts of it at the same time, while leaving sections of it as a work zone but not working on said section.

Does that make sense? It seems like that would have caused a lot less frustration among businesses along the line and people using the road. Was it done this way because of the work needing to be done to the sewer system first?

For example, if we successfully get the line extended into midtown, will we really need to turn the entire length of Main into a construction site for the entire construction time? Once again it seems like it would be easier and less stressful on people if they focused on one, couple block section at a time. Then they tear that section up, put in the rails, then move the cones on down a few blocks and start tearing up that section of road. All the while leaving the rest of the length of street untouched and open to traffic.

Is this not doable? I really have no idea.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Not really, because it's not one project, it's a dozen different ones. There's all the utility companies on the corridor too. MGE, KCPL, water and sewers and fire hydrants, steam (which I think they mainly avoided), the smart city project, and a bunch of telcos.

Water and utility work didn't go on the bridges. So why shouldn't they finish them when waiting on other segments elsewhere? And why would waiting for the 8-10 months of work at 10th and Main until getting to that intersection make sense?

And if the businesses don't like partial access, what would two months of complete closure do? Imagine moving the transit terminal for a year straight.

Water alone took a couple weeks per block. The track is one week per side per block and it takes about a week to cure to driving strength. OCS work is another week per block, MGE another, etc. there still 3-4 steps in the crossroads to go. And they all need overlapping space to work so coordinating would be a pain.

Right now there's utilities, water, track, OCS, signals all concurrently happening. Each segment has some work and it's mostly at open roads.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.