We need a new airport!!!

Transportation topics in KC
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Post by Highlander »

im2kull wrote:
Highlander wrote:I found it odd that KCI was the only small city airport in the group. Most of the others were the big hubs.
KCI has a high PAX/Air Traffic to Actual population number. I think our PAX rating was 25th best in the country, yet our population is like 37th or so? I quoted and cited the actual numbers somewhere else earlier in this thread. We have a good amount of PAX traffic for a city our size, and that should be a clue that our airport is not the detrimental growth-stopper that some people want you to believe that it is.
Isn't that partially because of the Wright Amendment? Now that SW has more options out of Dallas FW, KCI is going to take a hit in terms of PAX.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Highlander wrote:
im2kull wrote:
Highlander wrote:I found it odd that KCI was the only small city airport in the group. Most of the others were the big hubs.
KCI has a high PAX/Air Traffic to Actual population number. I think our PAX rating was 25th best in the country, yet our population is like 37th or so? I quoted and cited the actual numbers somewhere else earlier in this thread. We have a good amount of PAX traffic for a city our size, and that should be a clue that our airport is not the detrimental growth-stopper that some people want you to believe that it is.
Isn't that partially because of the Wright Amendment? Now that SW has more options out of Dallas FW, KCI is going to take a hit in terms of PAX.
Technically only 5-8% of our PAX are connecting, so we may not take as much a hit as imagined..if any.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Noticed that for the summer we get an additional KC to Seattle flight on Alaska Airlines. The time is great since it leaves KC at 7am and you arrive in Sea at 8:55 so it will give you a chance to connect to Hawaii, Alaska and other places on the west coast. Id love to see this year round because the normal flight (530pm depature arrive sea 730pm) is horrible for connections.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

KCI Airport news

Post by herrfrank »

This weekend will mark my third flight on the nonstop Miami-KC flight on the AA A-319. It's convenient for afternoon Southeast and Caribbean connections, as it leaves Miami around 8pm and arrives KCI at 10pm. First has only 8 seats and features the on-demand video interfaces (seatback screens), and a full dinner is served. Coach is, well, coach. Demand appears high. Hope AA will keep this flight through the winter.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

KCI airport updates

Post by herrfrank »

brewcrew1000 wrote:Noticed that for the summer we get an additional KC to Seattle flight on Alaska Airlines. The time is great since it leaves KC at 7am and you arrive in Sea at 8:55 so it will give you a chance to connect to Hawaii, Alaska and other places on the west coast. Id love to see this year round because the normal flight (530pm depature arrive sea 730pm) is horrible for connections.
This also means a day-trip to Seattle is now feasible. Leave KC on the 7am departure and land at 9am. Spend all day downtown (there is light-rail from the airport, too, but it takes forever). Return from SeaTac at 6:20pm, landing KCI at midnight. Long day, but totally feasible for 6 or so hours of face time in downtown Seattle.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: KCI airport updates

Post by flyingember »

herrfrank wrote:
brewcrew1000 wrote:Noticed that for the summer we get an additional KC to Seattle flight on Alaska Airlines. The time is great since it leaves KC at 7am and you arrive in Sea at 8:55 so it will give you a chance to connect to Hawaii, Alaska and other places on the west coast. Id love to see this year round because the normal flight (530pm depature arrive sea 730pm) is horrible for connections.
This also means a day-trip to Seattle is now feasible. Leave KC on the 7am departure and land at 9am. Spend all day downtown (there is light-rail from the airport, too, but it takes forever). Return from SeaTac at 6:20pm, landing KCI at midnight. Long day, but totally feasible for 6 or so hours of face time in downtown Seattle.
You just described the business trip schedule. It's a realistic flight schedule that doesn't use up part of a day on travel.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: KCI Airport news

Post by brewcrew1000 »

herrfrank wrote:This weekend will mark my third flight on the nonstop Miami-KC flight on the AA A-319. It's convenient for afternoon Southeast and Caribbean connections, as it leaves Miami around 8pm and arrives KCI at 10pm. First has only 8 seats and features the on-demand video interfaces (seatback screens), and a full dinner is served. Coach is, well, coach. Demand appears high. Hope AA will keep this flight through the winter.
I would love to have a 2nd Miami flight, maybe one that leaves around 2pm, there are lot of overnight South America flights that don't leave until 9pm or later, i guess you could make a little daytrip out in Miami but not everyone really likes to do that.
bhedges1987
Pad site
Pad site

Post by bhedges1987 »

Any update on the new one single terminal at kci?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

bhedges1987 wrote:Any update on the new one single terminal at kci?
I don't think we expect anything until next year.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

fyi;

click on the link for a slideshow of the new airport in Wichita.

http://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/news ... -3.html#g1
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Wichita has a better airport terminal than KC---how embarrassing! Love the glass windowed jetways.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

moderne wrote:Wichita has a better airport terminal than KC---how embarrassing! Love the glass windowed jetways.
my thoughts exactly but good for Wichita.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

it's still awhile before we hear any updates about the single terminal but here are some pictures of the Indianapolis one.

http://www.hok.com/design/type/aviation ... -terminal/

my guess is that when they are ready they will propose a design similar to this.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

FiveThirtyEight put up an article noting that people's perception of airports ("perception" = "Yelp reviews", in this case) is partially a function of how delay-prone that particular airport is. Unfortunately, they only did it for the 30 largest airports in the country.

Given that they had a previous article listing expected flight delay times for all US airports with scheduled flights, I took the graph they made and added KC to it:

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

correlation does not imply causation
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I disagree.

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... sumes.html
"KCI discussion will take off again in two weeks"
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

http://bit.ly/1COaRDT

KCI Airline Group has calculated the cost to renovate existing terminals to be $1 Billion, will pursue a new terminal instead.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

A $1 billion "renovation" would almost necessarily have to be a complete gut-and-rebuild to function as a de facto single terminal. As has been pointed out innumerable times over 100+ pages, that is very unlikely to be "necessary" except insofar as it would be necessary for the airport to capture the revenue they are aiming to capture with a single terminal; its necessity as far as getting people onto and off of airplanes, getting those airplanes into the sky and back on the ground again, etc., is questionable at best.

But at this point, I'm willing to surrender. Some men you just can't reach. So you get a new airport, which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

https://data.kcmo.org/api/file_data/ILs ... ession.pdf

Link to Power Point describing city needs in 2030, and how either a NT or MR would meet those needs. NT is said to be quicker to build and have much less empty space than a major renovation. Power point also points out how current design has too much space outside of security and not enough inside.