DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by DaveKCMO »

hgascoigne
Supporter

Post by hgascoigne »

JBmidtown wrote: Haha oh wow lololol I haven't heard THAT comparison before. Do you also think the streetcar is a BOONDOGGLE? Is it a TOY TRAIN? I you should pay yourself on the back for such staggering originality.
Sheesh, I thought it was funny and hadn't seen anyone post it before. I'm very pro-streetcar, live downtown, and ride it quite frequently, but still thought the parallels to the arguments people make about our streetcar were entertaining.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I'd heard that around the time it came out and thought it was alright, but upon relisten... that's a pretty sick tune.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

the mail-in ballot application is now live: https://www.16thcircuit.org/streetcar

(the stuff you need is linked at the right. the PDF is fillable, but still must be printed for your signature.)
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I just received an extensive, live phone survey for the Streetcar expansion. They asked a lot of questions - it was really interesting. In addition to the general questions regarding my general voting habits, demographics and opinions on local politicians, organizations and voting habits - they were also testing various pro/con messages for the new expansion. My only minor complaint is that the call came from Tampa, FL. Would be nice if it was a local firm that conducted it, but I understand that's not always easy or possible. I also think there would be better responses - or at least more pickups - if the call came from KC.

One thing I didn't realize is that once you receive and fill out the ballot, it needs to be notorized before returning.It makes sense - I just hadn't thought about it. The website should include instructions on that - it's easy to do at a local branch of your bank.

Another thing I just learned from the map on the 16th Circuit Streetcar map is that I live two blocks West of the district and can't vote for it :(

At least I was able to help with the survey.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Unless you live in Kansas or that little tiny jog around some West Plaza areas, I think it is more likely you have misread the map.

The white space is all within the boundary. The colored spaces are where the property taxes will apply.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

WSPanic wrote:Another thing I just learned from the map on the 16th Circuit Streetcar map is that I live two blocks West of the district and can't vote for it :(
um, you live in kansas?
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

My bad. I did misread.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

A clearer map of who is voting would help IMO.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote:A clearer map of who is voting would help IMO.
The PDF can zoom in if you download it and open it in a PDF viewer.

We wanted to clearly define who is paying the special assessments, since it's not the entire district (that was not at all clear in the 2014 map). The map legend had to use legal language, but clearly indicates the Proposed District Boundary as the thick black border. Many have suggested "at first glance" it's unclear. Okay, fine, but you shouldn't "glance" when voting.

Also, the map was first published in June 2016.

Basically anyone one registered to vote between the River and 53rd, state line and Campbell may apply for a ballot.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think a better legend of what each color means. Like you explained on Twitter
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

WSPanic wrote:My bad. I did misread.
The good news is you get to vote!
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Another question: how many street cars will this take when finished? Since the current streetcar district is currently trying to buy cars, are they coordinating to try to get an option put in the contract, since these are such a pain in the ass to build?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

WoodDraw wrote:Another question: how many street cars will this take when finished? Since the current streetcar district is currently trying to buy cars, are they coordinating to try to get an option put in the contract, since these are such a pain in the ass to build?
The related question is should we get more shorter trains and have higher operations costs or extend the current platforms and start buying longer ones and the initial five are coupled into longer trains? Both have a trade off that hopefully will be explored.

Remember the value of the train is lower operations costs countering the high capital cost. Buying 10 trains is 1500 people today and the payroll of 10 drivers at once. 300 person double trains is closer to half the operations cost. By doubling up you can drop a train non-peak and put it into maintenance without reducing vehicle frequency. There's also 300 person trains as an option.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

DaveKCMO wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:A clearer map of who is voting would help IMO.
The PDF can zoom in if you download it and open it in a PDF viewer.

We wanted to clearly define who is paying the special assessments, since it's not the entire district (that was not at all clear in the 2014 map). The map legend had to use legal language, but clearly indicates the Proposed District Boundary as the thick black border. Many have suggested "at first glance" it's unclear. Okay, fine, but you shouldn't "glance" when voting.

Also, the map was first published in June 2016.

Basically anyone one registered to vote between the River and 53rd, state line and Campbell may apply for a ballot.
It's not about what people should or shouldn't do, it's about what people will do. And, that map is confusing if you aren't willing to invest the time into figuring it out. And, frankly, I don't blame people for not even noticing that there are white and gray areas since they're so closely shaded and the colored areas stand out so much.

It would be extremely stupid to lose this election because too many supporters are confused by a map.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

WoodDraw wrote:Another question: how many street cars will this take when finished? Since the current streetcar district is currently trying to buy cars, are they coordinating to try to get an option put in the contract, since these are such a pain in the ass to build?
Eight additional cars for the southern extension. The biggest issue will be the federal funding (or replacing that with something else) -- which is required for the new assessment and sales tax to take effect -- because you need that to buy cars.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sat May 06, 2017 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

At the end of the day, request a ballot and if you're in the district you'll get one and if you're not, you won't.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sat May 06, 2017 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

DaveKCMO wrote:At the end of the day, request a ballot and if you're in the district you'll get one and if you're not, you won't.
At the end of the day, if someone thinks they live outside the boundry, they're not going to request a ballot.

I'm in the sweetspot of your demo. I want this thing. I'm a relatively savvy internet and tech user - as well as being intimately familiar with developing online marketing materials. Given all of that, by the time I zoomed-in to be able to read the map, the legend was nowhere near where I could see it. The heavy black line at the state border just looked like the state border. My recommendation would be to also shade the voting area in a light color so there isn't any question.

If you want to go that extra mile - make the damn thing interactive and not just a PDF. That way the legend could always be visible.