Union Hill Development

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Union Hill Development

Post by chingon »

FangKC wrote:
chingon wrote:
chaglang wrote:
The embassy style fence is a little off-putting, but it doesn't look like there's going to be room for anything that big.
Doesn't put me off at all. I love a fenced in "front garden".
In Europe, it's very common to have fenced, or walled, front gardens.
Changed my mind, then. I pretty much think Europe sucks.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Completion dates moved up by 3 weeks due to rainy weather interfering with exterior work.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

We have had an unusual amount of rain so far this summer.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

moderne wrote:Completion dates moved up by 3 weeks due to rainy weather interfering with exterior work.
Moved up or moved back?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Pardon my imprecise language. I was looking at calendar and thinking later date was moving up on the calendar. Completion on the building on Gilham will be at least 3 weeks later, around Labor day.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

It's fun how the English language is used. When one says "next weekend" do they mean the one coming up or the one after "this weekend"?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Landscaping going in on garden in front of Taylor building. It makes the apartments look like something you would see in Savannah or Charleston.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:It's fun how the English language is used. When one says "next weekend" do they mean the one coming up or the one after "this weekend"?
So a week is obviously a set of 7 days on a solar calendar where everyone agrees that any given day is the same day of the week.

Since it's an ending to a week it's always the present week that contains the this week end since it refers to the end of this week. Thus the following week contains the next weekend

The week begins with Monday if you imply Sunday is part of the week END.
However, if the week start with Sunday then you have stupid ambiguity where you're using a term END to include a beginning. I'd say our calendar is wrong

And to make this more interesting if the 7th day of the week is the Sabbath in Judeo-Christain traditions. Jews and some Christian groups use Saturday for their day of rest. Most use the first day of the week but call it the last. I won't call anyone wrong since it's confusing at best, but this just shows how weird our calendar really is that even a common religious tradition doesn't have a common end of the week.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Union Hill Walking Tour sponsored by Historic Kansas City

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 987&type=1
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:It's fun how the English language is used. When one says "next weekend" do they mean the one coming up or the one after "this weekend"?
Its last/this/next.
Respectively; the previous, current, upcoming. But does that include the Friday?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote:
Its last/this/next.
Respectively; the previous, current, upcoming. But does that include the Friday?
Friday is far superior to Last Friday or Next Friday.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

chaglang wrote:
WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote:
Its last/this/next.
Friday is far superior to Last Friday or Next Friday.
Puff puff give motherfucker.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Scaffolding for the brick is going up at the building at 30th and Gillham.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Thats the McGee Building. The facade will be brick, not cast stone, unllike the 2 buildings on 30th.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Another delay on the McGee building, Originally to be completed early August, now October 3. Will cause problems for all those UMKC medical and dental students who reserved aprtments for begining of semester.
KCroots
Pad site
Pad site

Post by KCroots »

I'm really liking this building! The entire neighborhood should be very proud of such a development when so many times crappy second rate buildings are constructed just for the developers to make a fast buck. This project is first class even on a small scale. My hats off to the architect / developer for a job well done!

In time the side walls that look so bland will actually give this building character but all new construction can look bland when new.

In ten years this building will have even more of a historic Kansas City feeling to it, and in 80 years it will be one of the buildings people will be screaming is a neighborhood institution / landmark. I'll have to go back through and read again who the Architect is
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The developer is also the architect. This development is a good reason for you to open your diner in the Velvet Freeze building.
KCroots
Pad site
Pad site

Post by KCroots »

moderne wrote:The developer is also the architect. This development is a good reason for you to open your diner in the Velvet Freeze building.

I’ve looked at the building (only via images) and think the front “street level” commercial space would indeed make a great location for the type of diner restaurant I am looking to implement, however the overall building is not conducive for the other businesses or the number of apartments I would like to have. I would have to make a great deal of compromises to my original plans including reducing the size and scope of the project. This size reduction would include having to forego the Specialty Men’s Apparel Store and I’m just not sure I’m willing to make that type of decision at this point.

It’s really difficult finding just the right match (already standing property) for the project that I’m looking to do but I agree with you that the apartments and the general area are beginning to really take shape. Do you know the Architect / developers name who built the apartments above we were discussing?

Also on a side note, is Main Street at Warwick Trfy considered inside Union Hill neighborhood or part of Crown Center? I had originally really wanted to consider that corner but since it’s owned by Hallmark and slated as part of their future master redevelopment plan I doubt that that property will ever be available, thus causing me to continue to look at other options.

Fang if you want to you can post the Spanish Style Main Street elevation rendering I emailed you along with the aerial images showing lots and then the image with a basic layout of the buildings there at Main at Warwick. After all it’s basically a dead project at that location but it will give the other readers here a general idea of what I’m considering. (I need to set up a photo sharing account so I can upload or link images, but I haven’t yet taken time to do that) Anyway I’ll continue researching my options at possible other locations and see where the journey takes me.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Below is the site at Main and Warwick that KCroots mentioned as a possible development site for his project.

Below is the site with the layout of his building plan.

Below is a potential building design for the project.

Below is a Google Streetview of the parcels.

smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I haven't read the entire thread--but isn't the problem with that site that it is owned by Hallmark who most likely have some long-term plans for it?