Fixing the KC Zoo (ongoing)

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Fixing the KC Zoo (ongoing)

Post by dukuboy1 »

went to the aquarium about a month ago with my kids. They loved & I enjoyed it was well. As you mentioned not too big but not too small either. Fits a nice attraction point for the zoo. I liked how the exhibit took you from the coast to the deeper waters & back. The mangrove shore stuff with the birds & macaque/monkey along with seas creatures was neat to see them all together. Also the sea otter piece at the end was a cool as we were not expecting it. Overall very well done I thought. I hope it generates revenue for them as well as continued good PR for donations and any asks that may end up on the ballot in the future. They have a lot of potential land to add exhibits, renovate existing ones, etc. to make the zoo and even more exciting regional draw.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

The general feeling at the zoo just feels so much better too. My gf & I went a few weeks ago & it just seems so upbeat. The employees are happy, visitors are happy, you can really tell they're looking at Omaha & asking the question, "why not us? why aren't we the regional powerhouse?"
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:35 am The general feeling at the zoo just feels so much better too. My gf & I went a few weeks ago & it just seems so upbeat. The employees are happy, visitors are happy, you can really tell they're looking at Omaha & asking the question, "why not us? why aren't we the regional powerhouse?"
I kind of noticed this as well. I can remember dealing with entirely apathetic zoo employees in the past, mostly with services but didn't see this yesterday (although late in the season, they have compressed the open services to a small area and probably released some of their seasonal employees). There were plenty of zoo staff and docents around to answer questions too. But the place was really upbeat. We will probably head back for Glowild.

One suggestion: I sure with they would make the shuttle to Africa free. It's a long way for kids not in strollers to walk and for the handicapped and very old; or for anyone on a day when the temp is 95 degrees. It should be the one thing that is free in the zoo. Once there, the walk isn't burdensome as there is a lot to see along the way but getting there is a chore for some people.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Agreed a free shuttle would be nice & perhaps replace the revenue from the shuttle with another amenity or experience.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Kansas City Zoo’s sea lion exhibit reopens after $4 million upgrade

https://fox4kc.com/community/kansas-cit ... n-upgrade/
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

thanks for sharing, nice to see them upgrading that area. I really look forward to what else the zoo can do to improve existing exhibits and where they can grow and add new things. They have so much room to work with it really allows you to "dream" of what could be..
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

dukuboy1 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:01 pm thanks for sharing, nice to see them upgrading that area. I really look forward to what else the zoo can do to improve existing exhibits and where they can grow and add new things. They have so much room to work with it really allows you to "dream" of what could be..
The space is a blessing and a curse. Lots of room to grow but a very spread out and, for some, tiring experience. I think the next plan is to close down the African Rain Forest (or whatever the area on the other side of the swinging bridge is called) and relocate those animals into Africa proper. Africa could use some infill, particularly over towards the old boat launch area, although I do like that quiet corner of the zoo across the swinging bridge.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

That “tropical” Africa has some nice animals. The Gorilla enclosure & the Leopards are cool. I like that space back in the tree canopy to give a different feel from the more Serengeti setting. But I agree the zoo is spread out making it a bit tiring for sure to walk it all. But we should really look to Omaha to plan our zoo & animals but use our space to create a unique setting to observe the animals
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

The southern end of the Africa section really needs wider walkways - in the summer and on weekends everything gets clogged with double-wide strollers, slowpokes, wagons and general dumbasses who just stand in the middle of everything.
Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

I think you’re referring to the lion area. It was just in the media last week that the lion and giraffe areas are the next “remodeling projects”. The kopje area around the lions was not ADA compliant and only has a porta potty restroom setup. The lion and caracal viewing areas will be expanded and the smaller viewing areas across from them reconfigured. A full service restroom facility will also be added.
The giraffe area will be changed for better viewing and I think a giraffe feeding platform. I think a better refreshment facility is also included in that area. Both of these areas tend to bunch up with crowds, especially if the baby rhino Zumi is out!
Now to get an improved hippo habitat that incorporates underwater viewing-always fun to watch!
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think I heard on the news today they are using old wood utility poles that have been cut up into boards to use to renovate the walkways.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Major KC Fan wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:16 am I think you’re referring to the lion area. It was just in the media last week that the lion and giraffe areas are the next “remodeling projects”. The kopje area around the lions was not ADA compliant and only has a porta potty restroom setup. The lion and caracal viewing areas will be expanded and the smaller viewing areas across from them reconfigured. A full service restroom facility will also be added.
The giraffe area will be changed for better viewing and I think a giraffe feeding platform. I think a better refreshment facility is also included in that area. Both of these areas tend to bunch up with crowds, especially if the baby rhino Zumi is out!
Now to get an improved hippo habitat that incorporates underwater viewing-always fun to watch!
I had seen somewhere on the internet that it was in the master plan to address the African Tropics area by moving those species onto the African loop system on the far side of the wild dogs (going around the loop counter clockwise) where there's a lot of space but not many species and even just outside of the "village" near the boat launch area.

I do like the idea of a hippo habitat that includes underwater viewing. They typical hippo view currently is a few square inches of their back sticking out above the water.