OFFICIAL - Pennway Point

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: OFFICIAL - Pennway Point

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

FangKC wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:30 pm When I look at these photos, I focus on the wasted space fronting the east side of Broadway because of the IRS Processing Center's set-back. It seems such a waste.
It is. Seeing the interior of the IRS is even more depressing. A 3/4 empty parking garage in the MIDDLE of tax season. It’s wild how much space is flagrantly wasted with this facility.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I've thought about what happens to that complex once the IRS processing needs are reduced by online filing to the point they don't need that space any longer and start consolidating all the processing centers into just one final one.

Does Fed Ex take it over as a processing center? Amazon fulfillment center? Future Amazon-killer fulfillment center?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

The IRS center, like the Star printing plant, might be too purpose-built to be reusable. Though, even if the facility stays, the "moat" could at least be filled in...

langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:25 pm The IRS center, like the Star printing plant, might be too purpose-built to be reusable. Though, even if the facility stays, the "moat" could at least be filled in...

Would you follow the guides of the interior court yard and extend the “rectangles” towards the west.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Build a baseball stadium over the top of the garages.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Why wait for the IRS to leave? Kick them to the curb and bulldoze that horrible new building tomorrow. It’s not like anyone will miss them.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

FangKC wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:14 pm I've thought about what happens to that complex once the IRS processing needs are reduced by online filing to the point they don't need that space any longer and start consolidating all the processing centers into just one final one.

Does Fed Ex take it over as a processing center? Amazon fulfillment center? Future Amazon-killer fulfillment center?
They’ve been consolidating processing facilities, but fortunately, and unfortunately, it seems KC is one of the points to which the consolidation is going to. So we’re stuck with them for the long haul it looks like.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I understand the building is not very pretty and I agree seems like a lot of wasted space but my guess is it was built exactly to spec when it was constructed. AS mentioned if they consolidate to one facility it's nice to know KC is the spot and those jobs ultimately help the METRO. KC has a very positive reputation for it's workforce and I'm sure that is playing a roll here. Just like how the Ford plat is consistently ranked amongst Ford's most efficient and best production facilities it helps guarantee work. So I'm all for keeping the jobs here and once the final consolidation is done perhaps look at redeveloping the unused portions or relocate the IRS to another building within the downtown area (newly build or an existing renovated) and then look to redevelop the IRS building into something else. Not sure what you would want to do with it beside more residential
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Broadway used to run in between the new building and the old post office and then made a dog leg to hit West Penway. Bring the north-south portion of Broadway back then continue south with a tunnel under the park. Most of the current Broadway through PVP could be vacated for a local 2 lane park drive and both sides of PVP could be connected and safe for pedestrians to access.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There is experience locally to tunnel. Hunt Midwest has done it with Subtropolis and Martin Marietta at Randolph mines. My brother used to supervise limestone extraction in underground mines.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Broadway is a funny street. If you come into downtown from the northland across the Buck O'Neil Bridge, in the space of just under five miles you drive on six differently-named segments without making a right or left turn.
- Broadway
- West Pennway
- Penn Valley Dr (signed as Broadway, but KCMO Parcel Viewer calls it PVD)
- Broadway
- Mill Creek Parkway
- Baltimore Ave (the city signs it as both Baltimore and MCP depending where you look)

Meanwhile, there are two completely disconnected parallel street segments that are called Broadway.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Eon Blue wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:56 am Broadway is a funny street. If you come into downtown from the northland across the Buck O'Neil Bridge, in the space of just under five miles you drive on six differently-named segments without making a right or left turn.
- Broadway
- West Pennway
- Penn Valley Dr (signed as Broadway, but KCMO Parcel Viewer calls it PVD)
- Broadway
- Mill Creek Parkway
- Baltimore Ave (the city signs it as both Baltimore and MCP depending where you look)

Meanwhile, there are two completely disconnected parallel street segments that are called Broadway.
A City That Works(TM)
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

GRID wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:40 pm Build a baseball stadium over the top of the garages.
But also build more parking. 1 parking spot per seat to make the KC residents happy.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:18 pm Why wait for the IRS to leave? Kick them to the curb and bulldoze that horrible new building tomorrow. It’s not like anyone will miss them.
Good idea! They are a tenant, not the owner.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:36 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:18 pm Why wait for the IRS to leave? Kick them to the curb and bulldoze that horrible new building tomorrow. It’s not like anyone will miss them.
Good idea! They are a tenant, not the owner.
And the land owner doesn’t give AF honestly, they just want their check, and they know the IRS doesn’t bounce. I doubt the Royals could ever make an offer worth it to them, nor would the IRS give up a pretty purpose built facility, but we can dream I suppose.