T-Mobile Center (formerly Sprint Center)

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: T-Mobile Center (formerly Sprint Center)

Post by DColeKC »

langosta wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:13 pm
DColeKC wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:10 pm
langosta wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:55 pm

I dont think you are acknowledging my point. The arena might be on par with other NBA/NHL arenas but its going to take a top tier facility to lure a team to KC or to land an expansion.
Well, I think I'm just disagreeing with you a bit. It is still one of the nicer arenas in the country, of course that gets harder and harder to maintain every year and with every new build arena as they're getting more and more over the top. What I'm saying is T-Mobile Center has held up very well for it's age and mostly due to the swap in naming rights, it has been properly kept up to modern standards with room to grow.

I think we tried out shot at having a brand new, top tier facility to lure a team and it didn't work.
I don't disagree that its nice for what it is. I just disagree that its nice enough to land a team. You would need to promise major upgrades worth hundreds of millions to land one.
What upgrades do you think would be required worth that kind of investment? Not saying I disagree there wouldn't need to be significant investment.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:50 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:44 pm "I can tell you that the average ingress time for T-Mobile arena is at or better than other arenas of similar size and nature across the country."

I simply do not believe this but it's not worth typing anymore about. Tmobile is perfect running arena, no improvement needed! Done.
This is par for the course with you. You say something and when confronted with legitimate information you disqualify it. You know, when I was having a political debate with a forum member on here and I said, what are you a lawyer... turns out they are and my attitude changes quickly because they in fact, without a doubt know more about the topic. I took the time to explain this situation to you, but no humility...... just, "I don't believe you". Wtf.

Why would I lie about this? Why would an arena, who makes most of its money off of people spending money once they are inside purposely do anything to make it take longer to get in?

But sure, your eye test is so much better than my actual data.

I didn't claim perfection, don't get mad when someone reacts to your ignorant comments. " I'll make sure to tell everybody standing outside in the rain for 10 minutes next time that they don't need to get in quicker."
Sorry been lied to a lot on here over the years so I don't typically take a post alone as legitimate information. Seems like easy data to post.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:24 pm
DColeKC wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:50 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:44 pm "I can tell you that the average ingress time for T-Mobile arena is at or better than other arenas of similar size and nature across the country."

I simply do not believe this but it's not worth typing anymore about. Tmobile is perfect running arena, no improvement needed! Done.
This is par for the course with you. You say something and when confronted with legitimate information you disqualify it. You know, when I was having a political debate with a forum member on here and I said, what are you a lawyer... turns out they are and my attitude changes quickly because they in fact, without a doubt know more about the topic. I took the time to explain this situation to you, but no humility...... just, "I don't believe you". Wtf.

Why would I lie about this? Why would an arena, who makes most of its money off of people spending money once they are inside purposely do anything to make it take longer to get in?

But sure, your eye test is so much better than my actual data.

I didn't claim perfection, don't get mad when someone reacts to your ignorant comments. " I'll make sure to tell everybody standing outside in the rain for 10 minutes next time that they don't need to get in quicker."
Sorry been lied to a lot on here over the years so I don't typically take a post alone as legitimate information. Seems like easy data to post.
It’s data that my firm charges arenas and stadiums all over the country to access. It’s part of comprehensive reporting we do on all kinds of operational and design factors. Why in the world would I share something I’ve been hired to put together that isn’t even mine to share? I’d have to have the permission of the client and you’d have to see my companies watermarks. No thanks. Let’s just trust your anecdotal evidence from attending attending a few events. I’m sure it’s far more “trustworthy”.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I mean obviously you wouldn't. I also obviously didn't know that until you said that and nobody would also you to do that. I'll just count myself lucky I have only stood in long lines in one arena, just sucks it's the one i go to most.

Is 30M enough for new seats and more tech updates?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

The biggest upgrade to Sprint Center with an NBA/NHL team would be suites. They planned for this with the original design. They would be at the top of each lower level section. Currently, they have what looks like currogated metal covering where they would be. There would have to be some change to concourse amenities to account for it. I guess there would be some change in the CBE Experiene perhaps with team offices and practice being in that space but I’m not sure.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KC misses out again. Arizona Coyotes going to Utah.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:27 pm KC misses out again. Arizona Coyotes going to Utah.
Utah had an organized onwership group. Can't miss a shot you dont even take
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

langosta wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:30 am
DColeKC wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:27 pm KC misses out again. Arizona Coyotes going to Utah.
Article I saw said still negotiating with the NHL and they aren’t happy with the current Delta Center in SLC in its current setup. They do have support from their governor and state and an owner. Someone pull a blue line steal.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:34 am
Article I saw said still negotiating with the NHL and they aren’t happy with the current Delta Center in SLC in its current setup. They do have support from their governor and state and an owner. Someone pull a blue line steal.
The ownership group has already proposed a new arena for both teams. Legislature approved funding package to go into effect May 1, included a sales tax of 1/2 cent for the arena.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

langosta wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:12 am The ownership group has already proposed a new arena for both teams. Legislature approved funding package to go into effect May 1, included a sales tax of 1/2 cent for the arena.
Smart. Get the team before you build the arena, otherwise you probably won’t get one.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Yeah. Agree with you was just more sharing my frustration. It’s also clear AEG doesn’t want a tenant either.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:36 pm
Yeah. Agree with you was just more sharing my frustration. It’s also clear AEG doesn’t want a tenant either.
Is AEG still on the hook for all annual maintenance costs or has the city let them off the hook from the OG contract?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

im2kull wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:03 am

Is AEG still on the hook for all annual maintenance costs or has the city let them off the hook from the OG contract?
I believe it’s still a shared expense.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

If this could be proven could they be sued?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Metro wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:54 pm

I don't know what they could be sued for. They helped build it and operate the facility, it was never on them to find a sports tenant. They're going to want to protect their investment and revenue first.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There are two blocks north of the T-Mobile Center if some team ownership wants to build an arena for sports. :lol:
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:22 pm
Metro wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:54 pm

I don't know what they could be sued for. They helped build it and operate the facility, it was never on them to find a sports tenant. They're going to want to protect their investment and revenue first.
I agree. It's my understanding that there are no agreements dictating that AEG help find a sports-based tenant. I believe they are simply on the hook for operating costs, to the tune of some $10 million a year? Clearly they have found that hosting events is quite lucrative and have no desire themselves to cut into the event schedule to host a sports team that would ultimately lose them money.

Personally, I think this is in the best interest of the city as is. Hosting a sports team at the arena would do little to benefit the area versus the diverse, full crowds that the top-tier event and concert schedule currently brings.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Why would the arena not still get all the same concerts it does? The arena sits empty way too many nights a year. A pro team with 40-50 additional nights of 15,000 people downtown would absolutely help the city, at least downtown.

Now is it worth the public money it would take to attract a team? That's debatable I guess if you don't value sports as a addition to quality of life.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Yeah, I don't get that logic either. You can easily fit an NBA/NHL home schedule into that arena. There's no way they'd turn down an extra round of free cash from a pro-team.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

If it were only that easy. Kansas City isn’t an anchor market when it comes to touring acts. They route through and if a date they want isn’t available they’ve got other choices and will simply skip the market. Toss in needing to work around a pro team schedule and you’d 100% lose several concert dates.

AEG makes all the money from concerts. They keep all the sponsor money and can sell all the sponsor space. That and many other things change when a tenant comes along.