Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Because the Star Printing Press is still on the mind of folks, I was told that it was recently considered a contender for a Target.

That idea is more likely than not dead at this point. If people would like for it to be kept, I think you should demolish the southern half and keep the northern glass box portion. That southern half block could become home to housing. All the parking on the west side of McGee should be built on. If the stadium can’t go here, then go all-in on dense residential usages. Don’t hold back either. Lots of room to play with.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:47 am Because the Star Printing Press is still on the mind of folks, I was told that it was recently considered a contender for a Target.

That idea is more likely than not dead at this point. If people would like for it to be kept, I think you should demolish the southern half and keep the northern glass box portion. That southern half block could become home to housing. All the parking on the west side of McGee should be built on. If the stadium can’t go here, then go all-in on dense residential usages. Don’t hold back either. Lots of room to play with.
I was told it would be a complete tear down, and then parking and future building connected to the parking.

The attraction was that they could build a garage with direct access to target a la cosentinos along with parking for attached hotel or rental or both.

Cordish is also close by and it's grandfathered in on some incentives. So pretty lucrative location.

All my information is super out of date though.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:47 am Because the Star Printing Press is still on the mind of folks, I was told that it was recently considered a contender for a Target.

Doesn’t seem to fit any of Targets requirements and there are many. Which is why it’s taken so damn long to get this done.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Star pavilion will likely survive as something like an immersive art experience and museum similar to those established in other cities.

https://meowwolf.com/

This would be fitting seeing that it conserves an already-built structure and saves the cost of demolition (where the City would likely end up footing the bill).

It would enhance and build on the Crossroads Arts District.

It would add another attraction downtown for residents as well as visitors.

The arts bring in more revenue annually in local economies than professional sports. They also do this without the massive tax subsidies that sports venues require.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

FangKC wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:35 pm The Star pavilion will likely survive as something like an immersive art experience and museum similar to those established in other cities.

This would be fitting seeing that it conserves an already-built structure and saves the cost of demolition (where the City would likely end up footing the bill).

The arts bring in more revenue annually in local economies than professional sports. They also do this without the massive tax subsidies that sports venues require.
That would be awesome! I worry the asking price for the building would be too high though for the financials to pan out. Unless some billionaire really wants to bring something like this to the area as a legacy.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

FangKC wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:35 pm The Star pavilion will likely survive as something like an immersive art experience and museum similar to those established in other cities.

I'd like to see the proof on this. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big supporter of the arts on the musical side especially but this just isn't true from all the info I can fine. Not as it pertains to KC anyway.

Looking at a study from 2015:
Entire KC Metro:
Total spending by non-profit arts and cultural INDUSTRY: $276,098,121
Jobs: 8,970
Resident household Income: $253,634,000
Local Government Revenue Generated: $10,097,000
State Government Revenue Generated: $14,473,000

Looking at just the Chiefs from a recent study:
Entire KC Metro:
Total Annual Economic Impact: $993.2 million
Jobs: 5,860
Resident household income: ???
Local Government Revenue Generated: ???
Stage Government Revenue Generated: $28.8 million

I think once you add in the Royals those numbers jump by 50% as well.

You also mentioned the arts bring in more revenue to local economies without massive tax subsidies than pro sports yet most local arts are non-profits who don't pay taxes, receive massive grants and other government funding not to mention the billions they receive annually nationwide in private donations which are essentially tax saving tactics by rich people.

There are probably several cities across the country where the arts out perform pro sports, specifically NYC and obviously cities that don't have pro-sports but I'd say here in this market, pro sports are substantially more impactful than the arts to our local economy.

Sources:
https://www.americansforthearts.org/sit ... egions.pdf

https://www.chiefs.com/news/chiefs-rele ... %20events.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Can we just copy London Printworks for the Star building?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:45 pm Can we just copy London Printworks for the Star building?
That place was awesome.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I've now heard from a random that target has signed for the star building. Just s random bartender so who knows the validity
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:51 pm I've now heard from a random that target has signed for the star building. Just s random bartender so who knows the validity
Where does said bartender work?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

DColeKC wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:02 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:51 pm I've now heard from a random that target has signed for the star building. Just s random bartender so who knows the validity
That has been an ongoing rumor for such a long time. A bit hard to buy at this point.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

langosta wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:23 pm
That has been an ongoing rumor for such a long time. A bit hard to buy at this point.
Yeah. Based on what I know it’s not true at all. Even if the area wasn’t still being considered for a stadium, it would still be a stretch for Targets typical urban development.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

DColeKC wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:18 pm
langosta wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:23 pm

Yeah. Based on what I know it’s not true at all. Even if the area wasn’t still being considered for a stadium, it would still be a stretch for Targets typical urban development.
It would be a cool retail place but the footprint of that building alone is almost twice the size of the Linwood Costco. Square footage wise, it's even larger. It would be cool if it could become something Reading Terminal Market but the building would be too big even for that and it would probably kill most the shops in the City Market if that came to be.

Unless Royals Stadium can make a comeback and occupy the initially proposed space in the Crossroads, the KC Printing Press building will remain an empty shell for most of the people on this forum's lifetime.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The bartender was at Mean Mule. Supposedly got "pulled into a meeting" about it. seems pretty unreliable but they sounded confident so thought I'd share.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:38 am The bartender was at Mean Mule. Supposedly got "pulled into a meeting" about it. seems pretty unreliable but they sounded confident so thought I'd share.
A group of Crossroads people toured the building last week.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Cratedigger wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:40 pm Was really energized by Keystone's plans for this space. But this has potential too

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... roads.html
MOKAN Goodwill on Friday sought a meeting with Kansas City's development assistance team over a $50 million proposal to demolish its vacant offices and warehouse at 1817 Campbell St., making way for a four-story, 80,000-square-foot building to anchor what is christened the Goodwill Opportunity Campus in its city submission.

The project southwest of 18th and Campbell streets would include Goodwill offices, community outreach and education rooms, plus potential spaces for commercial tenants like a bank, medical clinic and child care center. The development would have` onsite parking at the block's south end, plus potential parking in the building's basement. Beyond demolition of the former Goodwill building, it also would require vacation of a small east-west alleyway on the property.
In its Friday submission, MOKAN Goodwill listed 60 employees, a figure it projects could grow to 80 people with its new proposal. The filing indicates that the project will not request incentives, and contemplates construction between June 2025 and December 2026.
Not sure of the status, but came across some Goodwill Opportunity Campus renderings I hadn't seen. https://givebutter.com/FogxXw

Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

bspecht wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:24 pm
Cratedigger wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:40 pm Was really energized by Keystone's plans for this space. But this has potential too

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... roads.html
MOKAN Goodwill on Friday sought a meeting with Kansas City's development assistance team over a $50 million proposal to demolish its vacant offices and warehouse at 1817 Campbell St., making way for a four-story, 80,000-square-foot building to anchor what is christened the Goodwill Opportunity Campus in its city submission.

The project southwest of 18th and Campbell streets would include Goodwill offices, community outreach and education rooms, plus potential spaces for commercial tenants like a bank, medical clinic and child care center. The development would have` onsite parking at the block's south end, plus potential parking in the building's basement. Beyond demolition of the former Goodwill building, it also would require vacation of a small east-west alleyway on the property.
In its Friday submission, MOKAN Goodwill listed 60 employees, a figure it projects could grow to 80 people with its new proposal. The filing indicates that the project will not request incentives, and contemplates construction between June 2025 and December 2026.
Not sure of the status, but came across some Goodwill Opportunity Campus renderings I hadn't seen. https://givebutter.com/FogxXw

Now THAT is an upgrade! Wow.
brooksidebadgers
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by brooksidebadgers »

Atlas 9 going in at Legends...no need for Meow Wolf. Sorry Rosie!