Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by DColeKC »

dnweava wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:36 pm I scaled municipal stadium onto the crossroads site. A stadium that has almost the exact same number of seats as what they are proposing. Oak doesn't even need a road diet to make a stadium fit. Sure a new stadium is going to have wider concourses, more bathrooms and amenities, but the site can easily work while keeping Oak open and even saving most of the surrounding buildings.

The site between Grand and Oak is 100 feet narrower than the smallest modern park in the league. Something will have to give.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah it simply cannot fit between the current curblines of Grand and Oak. Just not happening for an MLB level park. Heck Tmobile struggled to fit in that same width.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:41 pm

The site between Grand and Oak is 100 feet narrower than the smallest modern park in the league. Something will have to give.
It's also going to have a smaller capacity than those modern parks too. It can easily fit with a good design plus both Grand and Oak can use a road diet to give you an extra ~20 feet on each side.

Tell the architects to quit being lazy, how bout dat.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:47 pm Yeah it simply cannot fit between the current curblines of Grand and Oak. Just not happening for an MLB level park. Heck Tmobile struggled to fit in that same width.
HAHAHAHAHA, Tmobile literally has a parking lot between the arena and Oak. bro, I needed that laugh.... HAHAHAHAHA
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

There's the Star endorsing a no vote.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

dnweava wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:50 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:47 pm Yeah it simply cannot fit between the current curblines of Grand and Oak. Just not happening for an MLB level park. Heck Tmobile struggled to fit in that same width.
HAHAHAHAHA, Tmobile literally has a parking lot between the arena and Oak. bro, I needed that laugh.... HAHAHAHAHA
I think he meant to say Target Field.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:41 pmThe site between Grand and Oak is 100 feet narrower than the smallest modern park in the league. Something will have to give.
Back in 2007, the Rays unveiled plans to build a new stadium on the site of Al Lang Field in downtown St. Petersburg, which is a pretty narrow spot.

Article with rendering: https://www.heraldtribune.com/story/new ... 593763007/
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Which is the reason I/we balked at this spot when it was initially talked about. I don't see how they're going to do it, but they've committed to keeping Oak open for all forms of traffic. I can't imagine the shitstorm that would happen if they took it back after a passing vote.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:12 pm
Which is the reason I/we balked at this spot when it was initially talked about. I don't see how they're going to do it, but they've committed to keeping Oak open for all forms of traffic. I can't imagine the shitstorm that would happen if they took it back after a passing vote.
If you follow the left field foul line on Fenway to the both edges of the stadium its 555 ft. Grand to Oak is 635 ft. Not saying it won't be weird, but its got to be possible. Target Field down the right field line is 608ft.

KCDowntown
Last edited by KCDowntown on Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

I feel like Oak isn't an insurmountable problem. They could either have Oak curve around the eastern edge of the stadium or have the stadium building cantilevered over Oak, the same way the convention center runs over 13th, 14th, Truman, etc.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Is giving a road diet to Oak and Grand not an option?
KC is the way to be!
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Sani wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:33 pm I feel like Oak isn't an insurmountable problem. They could either have Oak curve around the eastern edge of the stadium or have the stadium building cantilevered over Oak, the same way the convention center runs over 13th, 14th, Truman, etc.
They've said they will have Oak as a road for all types of transportation including cars and bikes and sidewalks and that they won't destroy buildings on the other side of Oak with eminent domain. You can't build a MLB with Fenway dimensions anymore and Target has covered the road and even extended past it upper deck party area and open walking area. But, hey, if they say they can do it, I'll take their word. Sure would like to see some realistic plans before I vote, but we can't see the details until you vote yes.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:52 pm
Sani wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:33 pm I feel like Oak isn't an insurmountable problem. They could either have Oak curve around the eastern edge of the stadium or have the stadium building cantilevered over Oak, the same way the convention center runs over 13th, 14th, Truman, etc.
They've said they will have Oak as a road for all types of transportation including cars and bikes and sidewalks and that they won't destroy buildings on the other side of Oak with eminent domain. You can't build a MLB with Fenway dimensions anymore and Target has covered the road and even extended past it upper deck party area and open walking area. But, hey, if they say they can do it, I'll take their word. Sure would like to see some realistic plans before I vote, but we can't see the details until you vote yes.
They didn't say they will keep all buildings on the other side of Oak. The only building that's been mentioned as worth keeping is the U-Haul building. Which allows for a modification of Oak to curve east.

They could also always build over it and create a tunnel but that's expensive and not needed, imo.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Sporting Kansas City officially endorsed the Yes vote today.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

Rusty Irish wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:21 pm There's the Star endorsing a no vote.
The star wants the printing press to stand as a monument to their failure!
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KC_Ari wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:27 pm
Rusty Irish wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:21 pm There's the Star endorsing a no vote.
The star wants the printing press to stand as a monument to their failure!
Is there a more anti-development main paper for a metro in the US? I dropped them largely because of their anti-development stance on so many issues and their willingness to incite controversary over nonsensical things. Good to know they haven't changed lest I have any inkling to subscribe to the paper again in the future.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Follow the parking lot north and you will figure out why. We will wait.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I would like to think it will fit in if Oak got bowed to the east. It would be expensive, but could even replace the freeway overpass with an angled bridge(since the vision includes the freeway park construction). I am warming to the idea of 2 blocks of new mid rise development east of Oak. It would almost move Crown Center 2 blocks closer to the traditional CBD. I am a preservationist but I just do not see any significant losses in razing the blocks for greater height and density.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:23 pm
Follow the parking lot north and you will figure out why. We will wait.
Stupid argument, the arena EASILY fits on the site even with that state building.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It's not an argument. It was a fact stated during construction. There is a reason the upper deck is very vertical. Fitting an MLB stadium between grand and oak is a legit challenge that will take some creativity.