T-Mobile Center (formerly Sprint Center)

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: T-Mobile Center (formerly Sprint Center)

Post by KCPowercat »

I'll make sure to tell everybody standing outside in the rain for 10 minutes next time that they don't need to get in quicker.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:00 am I'll make sure to tell everybody standing outside in the rain for 10 minutes next time that they don't need to get in quicker.
Is developing an attached hotel over the court or parking lot possible?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:00 am I'll make sure to tell everybody standing outside in the rain for 10 minutes next time that they don't need to get in quicker.
Please do! Also, let them know how dumb it would be to spend a few million dollars making sure they don't get wet when that happens maybe twice a year. Also, please let them know that they don't all need to wait for "doors" because nothing happens anyway for at least an hour after they open them. You can also include the idea that we have this 25,000 square foot facility across the street that is covered and has like 15 places to eat and drink, so they can hang there to avoid waiting in any lines across the street.

Wrap up your information session with one last thing. Check the fuckin weather and dress appropriately.

Could you poll them on thoughts to keep guests dry if it's raining when the events end? Complimentary umbrellas? Should we put up a temporary dome over Grand? No ideas are bad ideas!
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

langosta wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:27 am
Is developing an attached hotel over the court or parking lot possible?
Right across the street in a few directions is prime hotel space!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:41 am
Please do! Also, let them know how dumb it would be to spend a few million dollars making sure they don't get wet when that happens maybe twice a year. Also, please let them know that they don't all need to wait for "doors" because nothing happens anyway for at least an hour after they open them. You can also include the idea that we have this 25,000 square foot facility across the street that is covered and has like 15 places to eat and drink, so they can hang there to avoid waiting in any lines across the street.

Wrap up your information session with one last thing. Check the fuckin weather and dress appropriately.

Could you poll them on thoughts to keep guests dry if it's raining when the events end? Complimentary umbrellas? Should we put up a temporary dome over Grand? No ideas are bad ideas!
touched a nerve it appears. How many entities do you have to blindly defend on here and ensure everyone they do no wrong and no improvements can be made? Must get tiring. Adding AEG/tmobile to the list of Royals and Cordish.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:16 pm

touched a nerve it appears. How many entities do you have to blindly defend on here and ensure everyone they do no wrong and no improvements can be made? Must get tiring. Adding AEG/tmobile to the list of Royals and Cordish.
It only touches a nerve when people say dumb shit about something I'm a paid professional in. I'm sure it would upset you to hear ignorant comments made as it pertains to whatever you're considered an expert in.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

If they're going to build a bridge to the Royals, why not put an entrance on the south end?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:21 pm

It only touches a nerve when people say dumb shit about something I'm a paid professional in. I'm sure it would upset you to hear ignorant comments made as it pertains to whatever you're considered an expert in.
I hate to continue this but why is it ignorant and dumb to say people don't like to stand out in the rain? Tmo in KC is the slowest arena I've ever entered in the US. It's not like I try to enter before doors open, etc. just consistently long lines, that seems pretty evident with the eye test for any event? You are paid professionally to scan people in for arena events?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:00 pm
DColeKC wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:21 pm

I hate to continue this but why is it ignorant and dumb to say people don't like to stand out in the rain? Tmo in KC is the slowest arena I've ever entered in the US. It's not like I try to enter before doors open, etc. just consistently long lines, that seems pretty evident with the eye test for any event? You are paid professionally to scan people in for arena events?
I consult for arenas, stadiums and large scale events all over the country on design and operational aspects. Thankfully, we don't rely on "eye tests" to determine proper ingress and egress times. We have real, scientific methods to this and due to that, I can tell you that the average ingress time for T-Mobile arena is at or better than other arenas of similar size and nature across the country. Simply adding more points of entry doesn't equate to speeding up the process. There is a fine line between spending money to speed this up and go overboard, with no real ROI. Each lane that requires a new, higher tech magnetometer for example costs between $18,000 to $25,000. Obviously you have labor costs and other operational expenditures associated with this.

It's ignorant to disqualify what I said as some kind of lack of empathy for people getting wet as they wait to enter events. It's ignorant to pretend that unless you build fully covered entrance plazas, this will always happen and it's ignorant to expect event organizers and venue operators to be able to deal with certain things like mother nature outside of their venue.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

"I can tell you that the average ingress time for T-Mobile arena is at or better than other arenas of similar size and nature across the country."

I simply do not believe this but it's not worth typing anymore about. Tmobile is perfect running arena, no improvement needed! Done.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:44 pm "I can tell you that the average ingress time for T-Mobile arena is at or better than other arenas of similar size and nature across the country."

I simply do not believe this but it's not worth typing anymore about. Tmobile is perfect running arena, no improvement needed! Done.
This is par for the course with you. You say something and when confronted with legitimate information you disqualify it. You know, when I was having a political debate with a forum member on here and I said, what are you a lawyer... turns out they are and my attitude changes quickly because they in fact, without a doubt know more about the topic. I took the time to explain this situation to you, but no humility...... just, "I don't believe you". Wtf.

Why would I lie about this? Why would an arena, who makes most of its money off of people spending money once they are inside purposely do anything to make it take longer to get in?

But sure, your eye test is so much better than my actual data.

I didn't claim perfection, don't get mad when someone reacts to your ignorant comments. " I'll make sure to tell everybody standing outside in the rain for 10 minutes next time that they don't need to get in quicker."
SingleMalt12
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SingleMalt12 »

To me the bottom line is that I thought it was built for pro basketball and/or hockey & however much later neither is in sight
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

SingleMalt12 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:06 pm To me the bottom line is that I thought it was built for pro basketball and/or hockey & however much later neither is in sight
It was but here's the good thing. It's ready for either anytime with minimal changes. It does suck we've yet to land one.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:55 pm
SingleMalt12 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:06 pm To me the bottom line is that I thought it was built for pro basketball and/or hockey & however much later neither is in sight
It was but here's the good thing. It's ready for either anytime with minimal changes. It does suck we've yet to land one.
There’s a big difference between what’s needed to house a team and what would be needed to attract a team out of their current digs. T Mobile in its current state isn’t nice enough to attract one out of their current digs.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

langosta wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:09 pm
There’s a big difference between what’s needed to house a team and what would be needed to attract a team out of their current digs. T Mobile in its current state isn’t nice enough to attract one out of their current digs.
I completely disagree there. From a game play and experience situation, it's on par with several other major league cities. The locker rooms are spacious but of course would not be on a design or fancy level as the better pro arenas.

A NBA owner could simply go to a sold out Big 12 game and see the possibilities but would need some imagination on how the branding can change as well as some of the other more customized aspects of the facility. Much of which guests never really see.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:42 pm

I completely disagree there. From a game play and experience situation, it's on par with several other major league cities. The locker rooms are spacious but of course would not be on a design or fancy level as the better pro arenas.

A NBA owner could simply go to a sold out Big 12 game and see the possibilities but would need some imagination on how the branding can change as well as some of the other more customized aspects of the facility. Much of which guests never really see.
I dont think you are acknowledging my point. The arena might be on par with other NBA/NHL arenas but its going to take a top tier facility to lure a team to KC or to land an expansion.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:50 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:44 pm "I can tell you that the average ingress time for T-Mobile arena is at or better than other arenas of similar size and nature across the country."

This is par for the course with you. You say something and when confronted with legitimate information you disqualify it. You know, when I was having a political debate with a forum member on here and I said, what are you a lawyer... turns out they are and my attitude changes quickly because they in fact, without a doubt know more about the topic. I took the time to explain this situation to you, but no humility...... just, "I don't believe you". Wtf.

Why would I lie about this? Why would an arena, who makes most of its money off of people spending money once they are inside purposely do anything to make it take longer to get in?

I didn't claim perfection, don't get mad when someone reacts to your ignorant comments. " I'll make sure to tell everybody standing outside in the rain for 10 minutes next time that they don't need to get in quicker."
You didn't provide any legitimate information? Is there a link to ingress data?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

grovester wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:03 pm
DColeKC wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:50 pm

You didn't provide any legitimate information? Is there a link to ingress data?
Yes, let me let you into my companies proprietary database so I can prove something on a forum.

This isn't public information and I guess if you don't value the opinion of someone who is a paid expert in the topic being discussed, what can I do besides dox myself to prove my expertise. I'm obviously not doing that.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

langosta wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:55 pm

I dont think you are acknowledging my point. The arena might be on par with other NBA/NHL arenas but its going to take a top tier facility to lure a team to KC or to land an expansion.
Well, I think I'm just disagreeing with you a bit. It is still one of the nicer arenas in the country, of course that gets harder and harder to maintain every year and with every new build arena as they're getting more and more over the top. What I'm saying is T-Mobile Center has held up very well for it's age and mostly due to the swap in naming rights, it has been properly kept up to modern standards with room to grow.

I think we tried our shot at having a brand new, top tier facility to lure a team and it didn't work.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:10 pm
langosta wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:55 pm

Well, I think I'm just disagreeing with you a bit. It is still one of the nicer arenas in the country, of course that gets harder and harder to maintain every year and with every new build arena as they're getting more and more over the top. What I'm saying is T-Mobile Center has held up very well for it's age and mostly due to the swap in naming rights, it has been properly kept up to modern standards with room to grow.

I think we tried out shot at having a brand new, top tier facility to lure a team and it didn't work.
I don't disagree that its nice for what it is. I just disagree that its nice enough to land a team. You would need to promise major upgrades worth hundreds of millions to land one.