Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Westport's fate post-P&L

Post by mgh7676 »

FangKC wrote:I recall there were plans to build two different apartment projects along the west side of Pennsylvania, and atop the parking garage at Manor Square, just south of the Westport Coffee House, and another project on the SW corner of 40th and Pennsylvania in that parking lot east of the Sunfresh loading dock. I wish those plans would get dusted off..
FWIW, I was talking to a friend (who has no interest in development) that works in the building attached to the parking garage. He mentioned that the new owners of much of Westport plan to put a 15 story apartment tower on top of the garage. Of course, he was most concerned that they would start charging for parking in the garage.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Just a grip about people's in inability to park. Saw JoCo plates in World Market Parking then saw them walking into Beer Kitchen. Are non WM customers even allowed to park there? Its gotta be horrible on weekends in that WM parking lot.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I don't recall seeing anything marked in that lot that says you can't park there. Although, I've always assumed it's just for WM customers. I assume if it was a problem for them, the signage would be memorable.
hgascoigne
Supporter

Post by hgascoigne »

WSPanic wrote:I don't recall seeing anything marked in that lot that says you can't park there.
There are signs. At least on the northeast entrance. Even I'm guilty of parking in that lot on occasion when I'm meeting people at the bars.
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

Peachwave is now coming down.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Wow, I didn't realize they were going to tear it down and build new. I thought they were just going to add a rooftop deck from the first floor kind of like Westport Ale House. Do we have pictures of what the new building will look like?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Wow indeed! I hope that's not an original building, my memory of that end is a bit fuzzy.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Wow, WTF!
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Seems a bit ridiculous. Are they just tearing out the back section but keeping the corner?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

#SaveWestport
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

It does look like they may be removing just the rear. Here is a rendering:

I really hope that is not corrugated metal siding- god, I hate that look. It has been a dated look since the moment some idiots decided to slap it on every faux-urban-industrial building.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:It does look like they may be removing just the rear.
IIRC from th one time I was in PeachWaveGurtiniLeaf, the rear appeared to be a kind of addition/annexation of a neighboring space.

In case you are wondering, the yogurt sucked, but I did see Carrie Brownstein walking past on the sidewalk outside, which turned me into a kind of overfilled cup of pudding, as I gawked, giggled and embarrassed my children by fawning like a teenager.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

chingon wrote:
KCtoBrooklyn wrote:It does look like they may be removing just the rear.
IIRC from th one time I was in PeachWaveGurtiniLeaf, the rear appeared to be a kind of addition/annexation of a neighboring space.

In case you are wondering, the yogurt sucked, but I did see Carrie Brownstein walking past on the sidewalk outside, which turned me into a kind of overfilled cup of pudding, as I gawked, giggled and embarrassed my children by fawning like a teenager.
Ha!
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Most of the brickwork on the building appears to be demo'd as of today.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Yes, saw yesterday that they are completely demo'ing the existing corner building.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:It does look like they may be removing just the rear. Here is a rendering:

I really hope that is not corrugated metal siding- god, I hate that look. It has been a dated look since the moment some idiots decided to slap it on every faux-urban-industrial building.
there's a company in downtown KC that creates absolutely beautiful metal buildings. Metal can work if done well.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

A little disconcerting an out of town mini-chain comes in and tears down an (original?) part of Westport. Not sure if 'save Westport' movement level but definitely raises eyebrows if it sets a precedent for other development.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Does anyone know how much of the building was even "original?" Just because it's brick doesn't mean it has been there forever.
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

WSPanic wrote:Does anyone know how much of the building was even "original?" Just because it's brick doesn't mean it has been there forever.
It (was) old.
As of today:
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I thought westport was some sort of historical district?