One Light - 13th & Walnut

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Proposed apartment for 13th and Walnut

Post by Demosthenes »

Pork Chop wrote:
zonk wrote:Doesn't mean it's dead or delayed....just heard they were rebidding to get better costs. Probably weren't happy with initial numbers.

I have a friend that works in the construction industry and he basically stated that there is no way Cordish can get the bids they want. At least on what he was working on.
I know Cordish wants to make the most money they can on this project, but at some point they should just accept what they have. They have a pretty good deal here in KC, and this building will no doubt make them lots of money in the end. Sooo, might as well get the show on the road. The longer they wait, the longer it will be 'til they are pulling in 1,000+ dollar rents.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

They should have started building the tower before the economy started coming back. There was less demand for materials and labor.
archiKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by archiKC »

i was really hoping to at least see a sign warning commuters that their parking options might need a rethinking by now. This project is just about walking the tightrope between on schedule and behind. first quarter is coming close to an end.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

Business Journal said in December they expected to begin construction by now, has the extreme cold delayed things or just more haggling by Cordish? when is that gym under the Jones pool supposed to open? site says "summer" that could be anytime between Memorial day and Labor day, Jones pool phone # still saying they'll open Memorial weekend probably hasn't been updated in 6 months,
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

I think they are still working their way through permitting. I've been following this permit since it come out a couple of weeks ago. More and more of the reviews are being marked as complete as time passes. If you dig into the reviews, you can see the comments as to why something wasn't approved.

KCDowntown

Downtown Development Map
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Spotted this afternoon: Cordish supposedly will be breaking ground in the next month. http://fox4kc.com/2014/03/11/new-apartm ... nsas-city/
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

Excellent! I thought it was only supposed to be 25 stories though... Did they just increase it again? Might as well go 40 floors.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Suzie Burke, president/ceo/markt. dir./owner/operater/worker/cook/cleaner at Filter queen (and erstwhile parkville resident) wants to know if they are aware of the streetcar assessment?????!!!!!!!!

Might change their minds if someone mentions that in the comments sections.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

chingon wrote:Suzie Burke, president/ceo/markt. dir./owner/operater/worker/cook/cleaner at Filter queen (and erstwhile parkville resident) wants to know if they are aware of the streetcar assessment?????!!!!!!!!

Might change their minds if someone mentions that in the comments sections.
ok, i'll bite. they will pay a full assessment since the TDD is immune to abatements and TIFs. cordish opted into the phase 1 TDD sales tax, even though their development agreement allowed them to opt out.

let's say the building ends up being assessed at its full construction price ($57 million in a 2012 biz journal article), cordish would pay $87,552 per year until 2038 or so, assuming the phase 2 TDD doesn't pass (in which case the clock resets to 25 years).

the county's current market value for that entire block (it's not subdivided) is $5,778,100. i suppose they could pressure the county to keep their assessed value low like they did previously.

note: i'm not a county assessor.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

So, the Jones has to be going away right? Like, it will be closed this summer and then open next summer to bring in some cash--but that's it right? No way people will pay $1,000/mo. to listen to/look at that on the weekends...right? That pool will become the One Light pool for residents. RIGHT?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

smh wrote:So, the Jones has to be going away right? Like, it will be closed this summer and then open next summer to bring in some cash--but that's it right? No way people will pay $1,000/mo. to listen to/look at that on the weekends...right? That pool will become the One Light pool for residents. RIGHT?
some people might actually pay for that.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

DaveKCMO wrote:
smh wrote:So, the Jones has to be going away right? Like, it will be closed this summer and then open next summer to bring in some cash--but that's it right? No way people will pay $1,000/mo. to listen to/look at that on the weekends...right? That pool will become the One Light pool for residents. RIGHT?
Yes exactly. This apartment building will primarily pull in power and light-type people. I'm sure they will turn down the music at the pool, but that's about it. Cordish considers this to be a big amenity, and for real, even though you may not like the Jones pool a lot of people really like it.

I'm not into the guido bro scene either, but who are we to say they can't have their fun. It brings more activity to our downtown which is a positive. And a lot of young people from out of town view the Jones as a really cool place. Makes out downtown more of a hot party spot. This is something we want. As long as the music isn't as out of control as it's been in the past.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Demosthenes wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:
Yes exactly. This apartment building will primarily pull in power and light-type people. I'm sure they will turn down the music at the pool, but that's about it. Cordish considers this to be a big amenity, and for real, even though you may not like the Jones pool a lot of people really like it.

I'm not into the guido bro scene either, but who are we to say they can't have their fun. It brings more activity to our downtown which is a positive. And a lot of young people from out of town view the Jones as a really cool place. Makes out downtown more of a hot party spot. This is something we want. As long as the music isn't as out of control as it's been in the past.
Ugh, you guys are probably right. Still, $1,000 a month is chunk of change--I feel like a lot of the Jones patrons are driving in from the 'burbs and paying significantly less in rent. BUT, time will tell I suppose.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

Bet rents are going to be well over 1,000 a month.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

I'm guessing admission will be included with rent if it still open to non-residents
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

my understanding is that the Jones is no more, and that the pool will be a dual amenity to both the apartment tower and the gym going in above Cosentino's.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

Looking pretty nice. Glad to see this finally moving forward.

Views are going to be ridiculous! And the location is really top notch. I'm sure this building fills up fast, even with those prices.