One Light - 13th & Walnut

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Proposed apartment for 13th and Walnut

Post by LCDSI »

Demosthenes wrote:Image

Great start! Keep it coming.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

At One-Light fly-by & fly-thru...pretty sweet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DkZlDMOCs8
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Looks like it won't be any taller than HnR block. How much of a difference in floor plate heights between commerical and residential?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

harbinger911 wrote:cool vid, but didn't they make the building too short?
It appears shorter than Bloch tower in the video.
I actually can't find anything that gives it's height in feet. the video may be correct
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote:Looks like it won't be any taller than HnR block. How much of a difference in floor plate heights between commerical and residential?

Someone please tell me that they are not building this with under 10' true ceiling height. Please..........
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

7-foot ceilings throughout. Studios will be referred to as Hobbit Holes in the brochure.
mykn

Post by mykn »

Dang I'm jelly. Wish I had a virtual Eames lounge and Saarinen womb chair in my condo :-/
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

There's no way that can be right.....
H&R tower is listed at 236ft

Standard residential ceilings are 10ft. Assuming each floor is 10ft (1st floor was supposed to be much higher) that puts the building at 250ft high. Not counting the foot or so in between floors. Plus the roof has some fancy stuff at the top to add some height. I'm guesstimating it to be more like 290ft high.

.....of course that all goes out the window if the ceilings arent 10ft high, but they sure appear so in the video render.
ThorsteinVeblen
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ThorsteinVeblen »

I was under the impression the height of One Light would not exceed that of WallStreet Tower which is 20 stories and has much higher floors due to being converted from commerical.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

regardless of this design, I'm wondering shorter ceilings may be the future of green development.

500 sq feet (made up number) at 10 feet high = 5000 cubic feet. 9 feet = 4500 sq feet. that single foot is a 10% smaller area to cool/heat

and a 10% difference is a lot of money
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Something needs to be done with the lot south of Traders.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Ceiling heights at the View are less than 10 feet. Because of that no utilities can run horizontally between the floors. The only way to power ceiling lighting is by use of sheetrock soffits or exposed conduit.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

leasing office is taking the space of what used to be genghis grill.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

moderne wrote:Ceiling heights at the View are less than 10 feet. Because of that no utilities can run horizontally between the floors. The only way to power ceiling lighting is by use of sheetrock soffits or exposed conduit.
And you need a hammer drill to hang blinds. :D
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote:Looks like it won't be any taller than HnR block. How much of a difference in floor plate heights between commerical and residential?
Same thing I was thinking. Really wish this would be a landmark tower (At least 30 stories) instead of this crap that they're hyping up as much as the Burj Dubai!
moderne wrote:Ceiling heights at the View are less than 10 feet. Because of that no utilities can run horizontally between the floors. The only way to power ceiling lighting is by use of sheetrock soffits or exposed conduit.
But, the View was originally built as a low income housing project. I doubt ceiling heights were even considered. I always find it amusing driving by to think that one of the higher end condo renovations in DTKC was done in a building where something like 8-12 people have fallen to their deaths in the elevator shafts. Do they disclose that to the tenants? Some states require it, but I'm not sure about MO?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

im2kull wrote:I always find it amusing driving by to think that one of the higher end condo renovations in DTKC was done in a building where something like 8-12 people have fallen to their deaths in the elevator shafts.
What? When was this?

It probably wouldn't make a difference. People still pony up a lot of money to stay at the Hyatt.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

chaglang wrote:
im2kull wrote:I always find it amusing driving by to think that one of the higher end condo renovations in DTKC was done in a building where something like 8-12 people have fallen to their deaths in the elevator shafts.
What? When was this?

It probably wouldn't make a difference. People still pony up a lot of money to stay at the Hyatt.
When it was the "Vista Del Rio" and not "The View" lol. All throughout the 90's and early 2000's people were falling to their deaths after sneaking into the building. The shafts had no elevators, and the building was seriously dilapidated.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

If people avoided living where people have died at some time, there would be no place to live. Don't get the big deal about the deaths of homeless falling down elevator shafts in an abandoned buildinng. A lot more people died at the Coates House fire and people live there also. I don't remember needing Ghostbusters when I lived at the
View.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

"But, the View was originally built as a low income housing project. "

Correct if wrong but this is by or on 8th St? If so this was built as River Hills Mark I and Mark II for the two buildings. Although financed by HUD these were market rate apts when first built.