Union Hill Development

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Union Hill Development

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

Eon Blue wrote:
chaglang wrote:
smh wrote:My only (mild) complaint about these new developments, specifically the ones on 30th, is the terrible job done containing runoff from the site. The street looks like a dirt road. I would be somewhat displeased if I were a resident up there.
That's the responsibility of the contractor to contain. Surprised no one has called them in on that.

I'd be more concerned about the gigantic blank facades on the north and south faces of the building on Gillham.
No kidding. Wouldn't those end units fetch higher rents with more windows, or is the architect unable/unwilling to modify the unit layouts to accommodate them?
They have to be planning on building next door, right? There's no way those blank walls make any sense otherwise.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Eon Blue wrote:
chaglang wrote:
smh wrote:My only (mild) complaint about these new developments, specifically the ones on 30th, is the terrible job done containing runoff from the site. The street looks like a dirt road. I would be somewhat displeased if I were a resident up there.
That's the responsibility of the contractor to contain. Surprised no one has called them in on that.

I'd be more concerned about the gigantic blank facades on the north and south faces of the building on Gillham.
No kidding. Wouldn't those end units fetch higher rents with more windows, or is the architect unable/unwilling to modify the unit layouts to accommodate them?
here's the floor plans
http://unionhill.com/wp-content/uploads ... Plans1.pdf
http://unionhill.com/wp-content/uploads ... Plans1.pdf

I don't see any reason they couldn't have added some windows on the side
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Building wrap was being applied to the Gillham building this morning.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Amid all the complaining, I must say that stone and brick facade looks beautiful, timeless and lux...like something on the coast. Great job!

smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Midtownkid wrote:Amid all the complaining, I must say that stone and brick facade looks beautiful, timeless and lux...like something on the coast. Great job!

Absolutely!
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

Wow... that really does look beautiful. Is it just a camera/ post-production effect or did they actually make the brick and stone look aged and weathered? That building looks like its been there the last century.

Very nice work, though there's still room for one complaint from me 8)

This building really needs buildings close by on both sides, much like the new apartment buildings being built on 27th in Beacon Hill. The blank side walls look really nice with that worn brick, but this is an urban building here, with no side windows. This is the kind of building that should almost be a rowhome, so we barely see the side if at all.

Other than that though, no complaints whatsoever. Beautiful building!
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Demosthenes wrote:Wow... that really does look beautiful. Is it just a camera/ post-production effect or did they actually make the brick and stone look aged and weathered? That building looks like its been there the last century.
I did play around w/ the editing features of Google+ photos, so it doesn't look quite so 'aged' in person.
Original:

chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Either way, the materials are well done. Looks like it would be at home in the Crossroads, with surface parking lots on either side. :D
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

That building would fit in well in so many locations around greater downtown. It's a very suitable infill building.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

Nice building. Assuming this is a Jimmy John's.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Yes, its so "old timey!" Actually they did use tumbled bricks to give it that aged appearance. The official spiel is that the developer is an architect and that on the design of this phase he is using what he learned from first phase experience and comments from tennants. I just cannot imagine tennants complaining about rooms with windows on 2 sides and the undesirable cross breezes this creates.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

moderne wrote:Yes, its so "old timey!" Actually they did use tumbled bricks to give it that aged appearance. The official spiel is that the developer is an architect and that on the design of this phase he is using what he learned from first phase experience and comments from tennants. I just cannot imagine tennants complaining about rooms with windows on 2 sides and the undesirable cross breezes this creates.
Well hopefully the implication is that there are long term intentions to build on the neighboring parcels. In which case no windows would definitely be a positive. If there were side windows it would probably mean the developer controlled the adjoining lots and had no intention of ever doing anything with them.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Not so.
The previous phase I buildings haveside windows and abut the other buildings quite closely. And on the new buildings @ Gilham and either side of 30th St. the blank windowless walls face 30th St.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

The developer would have to regrade the hill to slope the other direction to make that rendering accurate. :D

The embassy style fence is a little off-putting, but it doesn't look like there's going to be room for anything that big.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

chaglang wrote:
The embassy style fence is a little off-putting, but it doesn't look like there's going to be room for anything that big.
Doesn't put me off at all. I love a fenced in "front garden".
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

pash wrote:
chaglang wrote:The developer would have to regrade the hill to slope the other direction to make that rendering accurate. :D
There are three of the same building. The rendering is of the one down the street.
Well, that makes more sense.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I wouldn't have minded that type of building on Armour where the current fiasco is happening.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

chingon wrote:
chaglang wrote:
Doesn't put me off at all. I love a fenced in "front garden".
In Europe, it's very common to have fenced, or walled, front gardens.