Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: New Chiefs Stadium

Post by grovester »

shinatoo wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:01 pm
KC_Ari wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:55 pm
shinatoo wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:45 pm Just had a couple of people stop by with Vote Yes Flyers. Asked me how I was going to vote. Said undecided. Asked why. Said closing Oak and underwhelming announcement from the Chiefs. Canvasser said "Oh really because I understand they are building a retractable roof to get the Super Bowl". I told them there was no mention of that in any release and it would be way more than they are budgeting. WTF?
Uninformed people supporting something one way or the other, in the USA?!?! Color me shocked.
What are you talking about? These we paid pollsters with the "Committee to Keep the Chiefs and Royals". They weren't just some randos out walking about.
Would be quite a story if they were deliberately doing this.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

How many here would rather see the Chiefs build a new stadium in Kansas than renovate Arrowhead?

I'm not totally sure I would support it, but I really do think I would entertain the idea now. I'm just not impressed with the Hunts plans for Arrowhead.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I'd be fine with that for Arrowhead. As long as it's in the metro.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:15 pm How many here would rather see the Chiefs build a new stadium in Kansas than renovate Arrowhead?

I'm not totally sure I would support it, but I really do think I would entertain the idea now. I'm just not impressed with the Hunts plans for Arrowhead.
I think the Royals are the more likely franchise to end up in Kansas. It seems like the Chiefs are happy to be at the TSC as long as the Royals are elsewhere. Unless something has changed.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Highlander wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:25 pm
GRID wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:15 pm How many here would rather see the Chiefs build a new stadium in Kansas than renovate Arrowhead?

I think the Royals are the more likely franchise to end up in Kansas. It seems like the Chiefs are happy to be at the TSC as long as the Royals are elsewhere. Unless something has changed.
I don't think the Royals could survive in Kansas. MLB is going urban. The KS side of KC is not on the same scale as the north suburbs of Atlanta or something.

I can handle the Chiefs moving to KS, I would disown the Royals. That would be embarrassing especially if they ended up in something like Village West.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

They would be dead to me if they move to Kansas.

Arrowhead is too important to me as a fan. I'm still not over the Cardinals demolishing Busch 2, and I think MO State building a new arena in Springfield killed the atmosphere and fan base.

I'm not a royals fan and think downtown baseball will be better but I can sympathize with fans not wanting to lose a venue they have memories in.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Didn't think I would be in this camp but after seeing the upcoming plans for Arrowhead and the fact that team HQ and practice facility will be leaving TSC, and Chiefs will likely pursue a new stadium down the road anyway, I would definitely prefer a new stadium elsewhere in the metro with those things (and maybe hotel/retail also) adjacent, built ASAP.

I was really hoping the Chiefs would take the Royals leaving as an opportunity to up their game at TSC and turn it into a full on "Chiefs town" type atmosphere, but...that's certainly not what we're getting. The vibes I got made me feel like they are looking forward to leaving TSC at some point, but the timing just didn't work out this go 'round.

Edit: and this from someone that loves Arrowhead from a design and experience standpoint, and now it finally has a nice bit of Championship patina.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Again, what are you all wanting?!

Commercial development here is not a reality. A roof is not desired by any person in the organization (including Mahomes). Every touchpoint of the Arrowhead experience will be improved with what they're doing.

What would be the point in moving to KS... It will be the exact same stadium just over there. Is it money? Bc that's not coming in without them.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I guess I was just hoping for a more comprehensive renovation of Arrowhead to truly modernize it so it looks less like a 1960 stadium with a press box slapped onto the side of it. I mean keep the bowl as is, redo the middle level (the yellow seats just look odd and they are often not full). But mostly wrap the stadium in a cool modern skin, maybe build another tower box on the other side to match the one they added, update the older one and connect them with a skyway around the stadium for standing room and social areas. maybe add a partial roof over the upper deck to really lock in the sound and help protect fans from the weather.

Then take the Kauffman Stadium area and build a "Chiefs" themed mini entertainment venue that would include the new offices for the Chiefs and maybe build a new practice facility in the area, a hall of fame type thing etc. I mean they are just putting in some grass and a platform for a band or something?

And why can't the county/city step up and stay they plan to clean up the area as much as they can? Install landscaping and sidewalks and crosswalks along Blue Ridge. Mention that the city/county plan do everything they can to stop the cancerous blight from getting worse in the area. There has to be a way to at least build some five over ones along Blue Ridge with incentives so the area looks like like the rural south. The area looks like total shit. The area around the stadiums in south philly looks 100 times nicer than the area around the sports complex.

This tax should be paired with another 1/8 cent tax (or soon after) to build a starter light rail line from downtown to the TSC. So people can reach Arrowhead from the city and people can park at Arrowhead for events or commuting downtown, including the Royals.

Just do more KC. Not the bare freaking minimum all the time.

SLC got the Olympics and used that as a reason to start building LRT. Today they have an extensive LRT and tram system. Why didn't KC start laying the groundwork for a starter transit system the day they got awarded the WC? The streetcar is nice, but it's not regional and its not mass transit. It needs LRT and way more buses to compliment it. I know that if a plan were put before the voters to include a starter line of a regional LRT system that served all of KC's major stadiums people would vote for it.
Last edited by GRID on Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

GRID wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:34 pm I guess I was just hoping for a more compensative renovation of Arrowhead to truly modernize it so it looks less like a 1960 stadium with a press box slapped onto the side of it. I mean keep the bowl as is, redo the middle level (the yellow seats just look odd and they are often not full). But mostly wrap the stadium in a cool modern skin, maybe build another tower box on the other side to match the one they added, update the older one and connect them with a skyway around the stadium for standing room and social areas. maybe add a partial roof over the upper deck to really lock in the sound and help protect fans from the weather.

Then take the Kauffman Stadium area and build a "Chiefs" themed mini entertainment venue that would include the new offices for the Chiefs and maybe build a new practice facility in the area, a hall of fame type thing etc. I mean they are just putting in some grass and a platform for a band or something?

And why can't the county/city step up and stay they plan to clean up the area as much as they can? Install landscaping and sidewalks and crosswalks along Blue Ridge. Mention that the city/county plan do everything they can to stop the cancerous blight from getting worse in the area. There has to be a way to at least build some five over ones along Blue Ridge with incentives so the area looks like like the rural south. The area looks like total shit. The area around the stadiums in south philly looks 100 times nicer than the area around the sports complex.

This tax should be paired with another 1/8 cent tax (or soon after) to build a starter light rail line from downtown to the TSC. So people can reach Arrowhead from the city and people can park at Arrowhead for events or commuting downtown, including the Royals.

Just do more KC. Not the bare freaking minimum all the time.

SLC got the Olympics and used that as a reason to start building LRT. Today they have an extensive LRT and tram system. Why didn't KC start laying the groundwork for a starter transit system the day they got awarded the WC? The streetcar is nice, but it's not regional and its not mass transit. It needs LRT and way more buses to compliment it. I know that if a plan were put before the voters to include a starter line of a regional LRT system that served all of KC's major stadiums people would vote for it.
Simple answer, Clark Hunt is a cheap ass. I love how he was talking about a “re-imagined” Arrowhead for future generations to enjoy and be the envy of the NFL. Bullshit. He’s putting in $300M after winning 3 Super Bowls in 5 years. I honestly can’t stand the guy, he’s so pompous and living on his Dads’s money and notoriety.

Build a glass exoskeleton around the outside of the stadium with cool LED lighting to make the stadium more modern looking. Add a permanent canopy, similar to the canopy over the PnL Live district that has a few bars/restaurants. Consider these bars/restaurants “part” of the stadium complex, meaning they won’t be open unless a game or concert is taking place. Same as the bars/restaurants inside Arrowhead.

Next, build a hall of fame and fan shop attached to Arrowhead. Get rid of the silly ring of honor and put up another ribbon board. Replicate the ring of honor in the hall of fame.

I bet Sherman is pissed with the bare bones proposal by the Chiefs, because this might kill the April vote, which it should. The Chiefs have all the momentum here and their shitty, cheap owner doesn’t have a clue. Sherman gets it because he’s owned businesses and knows what he’s doing, Clark Hunt is a goofy clown that’s been spoiled his entire life. He may have a great education, but he has no idea of how to make a splash. Rule number one when asking for votes, “go big with pizazz, but hey, if it doesn’t all come to fruition, blame the economy/government”.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:34 pm
The Chiefs don't have a lot to work with out at TSC.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0496919 ... ?entry=ttu

To the west is a practice facility some forests, an interstate and a defunct industrial area. To the south is a forest, to the east is forest with low density residential and to the north is another interstate highway with some derelict buildings and low density residential beyond.

One of the leaders of Save Kaufman Stadium has been touting the redevelopment options of TSC but I think that ship has passed (at least for the foreseeable future). It will take much more than the continued presence of 1 or 2 stadiums to make that possible. In fact, I think the only thing that brings that area back is strengthening of the urban core to the point it becomes the metro's major job center which makes closer in suburbs like that area ripe for gentrification and densification. That's what works in every city in the US.

A lot of money could be wasted on a lot of things out there but most of it will be throwing good money after bad. Keep the Chiefs out there and renovate the stadium and keep it optimal for tailgaiting but go back to the 1970's when the area was much nicer - two new stadiums surrounded by enormous parking lots still couldn't get anything going.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:52 pm Simple answer, Clark Hunt is a cheap ass. I love how he was talking about a “re-imagined” Arrowhead for future generations to enjoy and be the envy of the NFL. Bullshit. He’s putting in $300M after winning 3 Super Bowls in 5 years. I honestly can’t stand the guy, he’s so pompous and living on his Dads’s money and notoriety.

Build a glass exoskeleton around the outside of the stadium with cool LED lighting to make the stadium more modern looking. Add a permanent canopy, similar to the canopy over the PnL Live district that has a few bars/restaurants. Consider these bars/restaurants “part” of the stadium complex, meaning they won’t be open unless a game or concert is taking place. Same as the bars/restaurants inside Arrowhead.

Next, build a hall of fame and fan shop attached to Arrowhead. Get rid of the silly ring of honor and put up another ribbon board. Replicate the ring of honor in the hall of fame.

I bet Sherman is pissed with the bare bones proposal by the Chiefs, because this might kill the April vote, which it should. The Chiefs have all the momentum here and their shitty, cheap owner doesn’t have a clue. Sherman gets it because he’s owned businesses and knows what he’s doing, Clark Hunt is a goofy clown that’s been spoiled his entire life. He may have a great education, but he has no idea of how to make a splash. Rule number one when asking for votes, “go big with pizazz, but hey, if it doesn’t all come to fruition, blame the economy/government”.
Agree.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Highlander wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:55 pm

To the west is a practice facility some forests, an interstate and a defunct industrial area. To the south is a forest, to the east is forest with low density residential and to the north is another interstate highway with some derelict buildings and low density residential beyond.

One of the leaders of Save Kaufman Stadium has been touting the redevelopment options of TSC but I think that ship has passed (at least for the foreseeable future). It will take much more than the continued presence of 1 or 2 stadiums to make that possible. In fact, I think the only thing that brings that area back is strengthening of the urban core to the point it becomes the metro's major job center which makes closer in suburbs like that area ripe for gentrification and densification. That's what works in every city in the US.

A lot of money could be wasted on a lot of things out there but most of it will be throwing good money after bad. Keep the Chiefs out there and renovate the stadium and keep it optimal for tailgaiting but go back to the 1970's when the area was much nicer - two new stadiums surrounded by enormous parking lots still couldn't get anything going.
I'm not saying the area can be developed, but the very basic infrastructure of the area can at least be cleaned up.

Shit, just tear all the shit down and put up warehouses or something. At least that will get the roads looking decent and make the area around the stadiums look used for something. It's like weird rural ghetto out there now.

The chiefs should be building a new stadium though even if in the same area. This renovation won't last 25 years and the Chiefs will be wanting out of Arrowhead decades before the tax is even expired.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

GRID wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:11 pm
Highlander wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:55 pm

I'm not saying the area can be developed, but the very basic infrastructure of the area can at least be cleaned up.

Shit, just tear all the shit down and put up warehouses or something. At least that will get the roads looking decent and make the area around the stadiums look used for something. It's like weird rural ghetto out there now.

The chiefs should be building a new stadium though even if in the same area. This renovation won't last 25 years and the Chiefs will be wanting out of Arrowhead decades before the tax is even expired.
At this point, I wouldn’t care if Kansas offered a huge deal for the Chiefs and built a new stadium by the speedway or south JOCO and I honestly wonder if that is what Hunt prefers. They know the stats. 60% of the season ticket owners are in JoCo. Fvck, build it out south as long as the Royals go downtown.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Kansas City Chiefs Share Arrowhead Stadium Wish List
Donovan said the idea of building an entertainment district by Arrowhead, something occurring more often in the NFL, was discarded after careful study.

“We actually did a pretty good analysis on what sort of development we could do in a game district and there’s some reality you get quickly,” he said.

“Right now, in this market, this is not a location that is ready for development. As harsh as this sounds, it’s just the reality.”
The Hunt family is investing $300 million in the $800 million project. The extended county sales tax would generate an estimated $300-$350 million.

As for the funding gap, the Chiefs are negotiating with the State of Missouri for financial help, although Hunt declined to disclose the amount.

“Those conversations are ongoing with the state right now. I don’t have a final answer on that,” he said.
When asked if any Chiefs players might have a starring role in the advertising effort, Donovan punted.

“We’ve shied away from putting them in that position,” he said. “We’ll use them in our placards, as part of the campaign, but personally speaking and doing interviews, we don’t plan on that right now.”

As for Super Bowl MVP Patrick Mahomes?

“I think you’ll see Patrick in spots, but I don’t think you’ll see Patrick doing a scripted spot,” he said.
https://flatlandkc.org/news-issues/kans ... -wishlist/
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Majority of STM’s and Chiefs fans in general don’t want a massively changed arrowhead. It’s one of 2 older stadiums. It’s no different than Fenway or Wrigley to the MLB at this point. You do what you can do modernize but you must keep the character.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I’ll add that I wanted a bit more too. I felt a full wrap would have been a good idea but I get not wanting to hide the exterior shape of the bowl. 800 million seems like a pile of cash but it’s not all that much money these days when talking football stadiums.

I don’t hate the end zone clubs but I don’t like the sideline club at all. It’s going to cost 150 million to rip out the lower bowl, excavate and build that back. It will price out thousands of existing long term STM’s. It’s a cool idea but I think the money could work better elsewhere.

The new ribbon boards, sound system and upgraded LED screens may be low hanging fruit but they’re needed and critical to the fan experience. And revenue. Those projects alone will be 100m.
kc-nyc
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by kc-nyc »

You can still create an exterior wrap that wouldn't hide the underside of the bowl but could expand the footprint of the stadium. I feel they're doing a poor job with their messaging here. All it looks like they're doing with the 800m is adding some rich people spaces, a fieldturf lawn, some awkwardly scaled-up scoreboards, and a hat for an already existing pedestrian bridge, when in reality they need to emphasize that a huge portion of this is upkeep to prolong the life of an iconic and beloved stadium. I would even rather they ask for a little bit more (or contribute more!) and make this an actual "reimagining." What they're showing is kind of a joke and would be underwhelming if it opened today, yet this won't be finished until like 2031??!

They are at the height of their popularity, so partner with the county to create a Chiefs-themed destination community/rec center and/or sports complex at the edge of the TSC. The traffic from its users and regional sports tournaments would provide the 365 traffic to sustain phase 1 of a small retail complex like Patriot Place, which looks awesome. Gillette Stadium is also in the middle of nowhere. Build a few parking garages (with ground floor retail that only opens on gamedays) to offset loss of parking. I'd suggest mass transit integration but we all know the Hunts don't want to lose their parking revenue.

There just seems to be no imagination or ambition from the Chiefs. It makes me think they either want this to fail so they can say "Wow we might have to relocate," threaten a move, then get more funding to build new at Legends. Or they have one foot out the door for a move away from TSC the next time they need to renovate and don't want to do much to Arrowhead. I love Arrowhead but if either of these are the case, just build new on the Kauffman site now instead of delaying the inevitable.

What a letdown.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

The lower portion of the exterior is almost entirely wrapped in a exterior structure already with just the upper seating bowl visible. I guess I don't understand how you could accomplish both goals but I also wanted a bit more wow factor on the exterior.

It makes no sense to build anything at TSC that's not purpose built for game days or large events. They will never build full time retail as there's just no need and it's not sustainable. They looked at this very seriously and found it wouldn't be a smart investment.

I disagree that this is a letdown. It's all about the fan experience and sure, walking over a brand new pedestrian bridge or entering the stadium in a new way may seem minimal but it's important. The new technology upgrades are something we all can enjoy to enhance the game. The connected concourse with covered canopy for the 400 section is amazing for the bulk of the stadiums fans who are also in the most affordable seats.

I also wish the Hunts would be a little less conservative and let it rip. Tell the people how many hundreds of millions of dollars they've invested into the stadium over the last decade plus of their own money. They put 24 million back into just last year.
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

As part of the CBA for me there absolutely would have to be provision for gameday shuttle service from Downtown at the very least and also potentially other parts of the metro.