First Friday

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

First Friday

Post by GRID »

Is this still a big event in KC? I have not heard much about it. Will probably be staying at Crossroads Hotel and noticed the prices were really low especially for a first Friday. Hoping it's still a thing as it's been a long time since I have been in town for one.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: First Friday

Post by normalthings »

No not really. Smaller than the P&L KC Live concerts
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

The one in July was packed for blocks. I'm puzzled why that wouldn't be considered a big event...

But Grid if you're here in town, you'll see for yourself
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Dave would be best to give the details of the politics behind it but from what I've gathered being around for 2 this summer it's like the neighborhood isn't too keen on hosting it but it's become such a known event people come anyways. Galleries are open but not long and not many publicize what they are exhibiting. West bottoms hosts a lot of artists now that crossroads got too pircey for them.

The death of that teen summer 2019 turned the neighborhood off of it and then covid of course so it felt like it just was time to end it.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Bummer. Oh well. I guess nothing last forever.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I mean the Star still does a monthly "this first friday" type rundown

https://www.kansascity.com/kc-city-guid ... 50661.html
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:49 am Dave would be best to give the details of the politics behind it but from what I've gathered being around for 2 this summer it's like the neighborhood isn't too keen on hosting it but it's become such a known event people come anyways. Galleries are open but not long and not many publicize what they are exhibiting. West bottoms hosts a lot of artists now that crossroads got too pircey for them.

The death of that teen summer 2019 turned the neighborhood off of it and then covid of course so it felt like it just was time to end it.
Yeah this has been my experience as well. It's still a thing but not quite the same as it used to be
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

There’s a group that basically shut it down. Very nimby people that live in the crossroads that wanted it to only be an arts day.

Never really recovered from that because they have a lot of sway.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

To their defense they were being asked to host a city wide event and did not get city level support/funding to host it. I'd probably have wanted it shut down too given that resource demand.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

normalthings wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:51 pm No not really. Smaller than the P&L KC Live concerts
Well that's like 5,000 people. I'd think anything over 3500 people for first Fridays would be a solid turn out.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Hard to measure but I'd say prime FF was way over 5k.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

It turned into a monthly street fest, not as much about art last several years for most attending. Would be great to get another tamer street fest going perhaps focused on blues/jazz. Finding location that would allow monthly probably most difficult part.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:18 pm Hard to measure but I'd say prime FF was way over 5k.
Very hard to tell unless someone pays for the data. I think at the peak popularity it was for sure over 5k.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

earthling wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:21 pm It turned into a monthly street fest, not as much about art last several years for most attending. Would be great to get another tamer street fest going perhaps focused on blues/jazz. Finding location that would allow monthly probably most difficult part.
And there's the problem. If it's solely about the art, most of the bars and food places won't do that well. When it turned into the big street party all the bars and restaurants crushed it but it came with issues.

If I were involved in leadership over there, I would be cautions about going back after the street festival idea and dictating the music direction. You'll 100% get backlash and accused of keeping certain people away.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:37 pm To their defense they were being asked to host a city wide event and did not get city level support/funding to host it. I'd probably have wanted it shut down too given that resource demand.
Sure, and they opposed that.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Well how about you guys go check it out tomorrow and see what you think
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:36 pm Well how about you guys go check it out tomorrow and see what you think
Only if I can see KCPowercat painting his latest masterpiece!
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:36 pm Well how about you guys go check it out tomorrow and see what you think
I live there. I’m there every month.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah I'm there every weekend I'm in KC I'm not sure the request
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:43 pm Yeah I'm there every weekend I'm in KC I'm not sure the request
Oh, didn't know you lived outside of KC