First Friday

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: First Friday

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:46 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:43 pm Yeah I'm there every weekend I'm in KC I'm not sure the request
Oh, didn't know you lived outside of KC
Pretty sure he means when he is not out of town. I'll see for my self, but I can't imagine it being anything like I remember it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I promise you it will be lower than your expectations. I can't imagine anything wouldn't
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:18 pm I promise you it will be lower than your expectations. I can't imagine anything wouldn't
🤣
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:18 pm I promise you it will be lower than your expectations. I can't imagine anything wouldn't
So everybody here is basically saying that it won't meet what would have been my expectations because I actually did not know it has basically stopped being a thing, but if I say it, then I'm just a KC hater. Got it. 8)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I mean you were asking is it what you remember. It's not. It won't meet your expectations.

I feel your memories of KC have become romanticized hence the second comment.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:58 pm I mean you were asking is it what you remember. It's not. It won't meet your expectations.

But that's not really true. While I do think of KC differently since moving away and traveling the country and world so much, I still think it's a great city despite its struggles. And while I may be the first to notice and say things about areas like the Plaza, which really is not the bustling urban district it once was, but now you have areas like the River Market which barely existed 20 years ago.

But as nice as areas like the River Market have become, it's the same stuff you find in every single city in the country. The Plaza is unique to KC and that's why I'm probably harder on that area. Because I think it's important for it to come back.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

“The same stuff you’ll find in every city” is a very weird critique for a city.

Kansas City isn’t a tourist destination. Your criticism here should be people taking a unique event and shutting it down instead of the city supporting it.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:18 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:58 pm I mean you were asking is it what you remember. It's not. It won't meet your expectations.

But as nice as areas like the River Market have become, it's the same stuff you find in every single city in the country.
Most cities don't have a place like our River Market. Unique boutique buildings with a bustling outdoor market, streetcar & amazing downtown views...oh yeah you're gonna find that just anywhere

River Market is KC's true gem, not the Plaza. And the best part is it will only get better over time (north loop removal, surface lots vanishing rapidly)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

But that's not really true. While I do think of KC differently since moving away and traveling the country and world so much, I still think it's a great city despite its struggles. And while I may be the first to notice and say things about areas like the Plaza, which really is not the bustling urban district it once was, but now you have areas like the River Market which barely existed 20 years ago.

But as nice as areas like the River Market have become, it's the same stuff you find in every single city in the country. The Plaza is unique to KC and that's why I'm probably harder on that area. Because I think it's important for it to come back.
Aren't you complaining the plaza lost chain stores and hence it's charm? The literal you can find in any city stores? I'd argue river market is more unique than what the plaza was in the 90s to today.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I was talking about architecture etc.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

i hope you have a really nice friday evening and if you see a mid thirties couple with a stroller and a pomeranian say whattup (but watch out for that dog)
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:15 am

But as nice as areas like the River Market have become, it's the same stuff you find in every single city in the country.
Most cities don't have a place like our River Market. Unique boutique buildings with a bustling outdoor market, streetcar & amazing downtown views...oh yeah you're gonna find that just anywhere

River Market is KC's true gem, not the Plaza. And the best part is it will only get better over time (north loop removal, surface lots vanishing rapidly)
I thought so too but a lot of cities have something similar which I think Grid is saying.

Once we get 5th Main, 3rd Grand, Maxus, 1 & Grand, etc then it will be a bit more differentiated from the others across the US.

Soulard is STL's version. Farmers market with a residential and entertainment component. Dense/popular enough that there are gold carts all around. I think you can even rent them on weekend nights.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

After reading the border line drama of first Friday's I'm hoping for some shared pictures of everyone's experience,good and bad along with descriptions of the moment in time! And drink a fat tire for me.
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

The market itself isn't wildly unique, but having it so close to the waterfront is fairly unique. In the US, I can only think of SF, Seattle and New York as cities with markets so close to water, which is good company to be in, I think.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

Just wondering, who is going to First Fridays? Had to look it up with all the talk af river market in this thread. The map shows how large a area it is. 17th to 19th main st. To campbell. Didn't see Grinders listed in food/beverage? Is it closed? Grid looking forward to your experience as I grew up at 17th and washington and have memories of the area so know how you feel about how it was.
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:54 pm

I thought so too but a lot of cities have something similar which I think Grid is saying.

Once we get 5th Main, 3rd Grand, Maxus, 1 & Grand, etc then it will be a bit more differentiated from the others across the US.

Soulard is STL's version. Farmers market with a residential and entertainment component. Dense/popular enough that there are gold carts all around. I think you can even rent them on weekend nights.
You forgot the North Loop removal too. I think our market & general area around it still better than Soulard's.
Last edited by AlkaliAxel on Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:08 pm
normalthings wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:54 pm

You forgot the North Loop removal too
Golf cart
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:12 pm Golf cart
I don't get the importance of the golf carts. I'd prefer foot traffic.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Downtown KC was pretty dead most of the day with very few people, cars etc. Pretty typical when I visit KC.

But it nicely came alive in the evening. There was a lot of events, the Irish Fest, a concert at P&L, something at the PAC and even First Fridays related events seemed pretty active. I'm assuming all the people and random activity in the crossroads was related to it being a First Friday and not something that happens every weekend night. Whatever it was, I was not expecting anything for First Friday and while it was not as busy as I remember it, it was much busier than I expected since many said the event was no longer a thing. So downtown was generally really hopping at least tonight with all the events going on. It really seems like there is some sort of First Friday thing happening and it's somewhat organized.

The plaza area honestly felt pretty depressing. A few pedestrians, but again really very few people or even cars etc. That nordstroms site really creates a massive gap and needs addressed asap. Hopefully the Plaza will be a bit more bustling on Saturday.

River Market was pretty standard. It's really maturing into a nice district. But yes Alkai, lots of cities have similar districts to the River Market especially the boxy new apartment buildings there. I still think the River Market is a great area and pretty unique to KC, but there is nothing even remotely like the Plaza anywhere and it's a much larger and built up area than the River Market and worth bringing it back. That's all I was trying to say.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Since when were First Fridays dead or not a thing? I've been going forever and every week has seemed the same, for years. But, perhaps that's because I tour the whole enchilada each month. Like, the CBD to CC, and back. Both sides East and West. If some "Formal" First Fridays event by some lofty art only idiot was called "off" years ago, then the entire population of the KC metro area had and has no clue. Especially the tens of thousands of residents in the Crossroads. Everyone still goes out and about and supports whatever businesses they feel like supporting in the moment. Street performers still perform. Artists still show. Random vendors exist. And motorcycle wrecks into classic cars still occur.

To say the First Fridays is dead is laughable. The entire DT loop & Crossroads to Crown Center stretch is more vibrant now than it ever has been before. It's a mini NYC. If one person or group of persons "official" FF is dead.. then so be it. They're missing out on the real FF's.