First Friday

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: First Friday

Post by WoodDraw »

The city should set up signage and parking. Can't expect everyone to use Waze.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Crossroads was absolutely hopping this past first friday. I'm not even sure art galleries are all that much a part of it any more, it's just a day more people come down to the area and fill up all the bars, restaurants and sidewalks.

This needs to happen more than once a month. The Royals have got to move downtown and activate the city like that more often.

I went to a game at Kauffman and it was depressing. The stadium is still nice/okay. But good god that location and 7,000 people in the stands....

Still not sold on the east village site though. It's going to take a LOT of private development and rebuilding of highway infrastructure. I just do not see either of those happening at the scale needed for a stadium to be successful there. Maybe I'm wrong.

I'm all in on the KC STAR Printing Press site though. Tie the new stadium into the east end of the 670 park. The rendering is terrible, but the location is about as good as you are going to get now.

Five streetcars running was great. Used them all day long. They should always run that frequently.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah artists are more in the bottoms now. Got ran out as prices increased.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Rest assured galleries are still very much part of the event. The crowds are larger and interested in many of the things that simply didn't exist when FF started (breweries, distilleries, food trucks), but the galleries are still exhibiting -- east and west -- and debuting new works tied to the event. FF was started by the commercial galleries, not the resident artists.

Last night's event was perfect. People everywhere but not crowded like right before the pandemic (the neighborhood intentionally retrenched on the carnival atmosphere after the August 2019 shooting).

Art alleys were full of vendors. Food truck lot had one of the highest number of vendors. We hit up Belger, Upper Level, King G, Grunauer, Casual Animal.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:05 am Rest assured galleries are still very much part of the event. The crowds are larger and interested in many of the things that simply didn't exist when FF started (breweries, distilleries, food trucks), but the galleries are still exhibiting -- east and west -- and debuting new works tied to the event. FF was started by the commercial galleries, not the resident artists.

Last night's event was perfect. People everywhere but not crowded like right before the pandemic (the neighborhood intentionally retrenched on the carnival atmosphere after the August 2019 shooting).

Art alleys were full of vendors. Food truck lot had one of the highest number of vendors. We hit up Belger, Upper Level, King G, Grunauer, Casual Animal.
Would the neighorhood support 1-2 carnival like first fridays in the summer? I am envisioning some carnival aspects would go in a more controlled environment east of main while the gallery style event continues to the west.
Last edited by langosta on Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah it was a good one. Love the art alleys that have popped up. I always forget about the site that lists this month openings. Does this stay pretty complete? https://kccrossroads.org/this-first-friday/
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:28 pm Yeah artists are more in the bottoms now. Got ran out as prices increased.
Are there still food trucks?