Proposed UMKC on campus arena.

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Proposed UMKC on campus arena.

Post by dnweava »

Looks like the plan is on pause due to the costs. The city really doesn't need another arena and nobody cares about their basketball team so I'd rather they not waste tax money on the arena.

But if they do build it, they should add a hockey team as having a hockey team in the urban core could be cool and I'd go to some games. MU and KU don't even have D1 hockey they wouldn't have to compete with them for fans.

https://cityscenekc.com/higher-cost-est ... -and-main/
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Proposed UMKC on campus arena.

Post by GRID »

A big mixed use development would be a better use of the site than a rarely used arena that probably wouldn't even draw 1000 people to most events it did host. I don't think UMKC will ever have a major sports program that gets the attention of KC area sports fans and if they do, I would hope it would be a little bigger than what they are proposing with this arena which is very small.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

I don't fault them for investing in the main campus. Probably should be mostly student housing tho...
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

My understanding is there was a mixed-use aspect to it. Retail for certain and maybe housing. They determined the revenue from those uses would not pay the bonds at the current spending levels. Also revenue from private events.

"analysis of the proposals showed that the proposed private development included in the plans wouldn’t generate enough revenue to cover project costs"

Also, the university wasn't going to provide any funding. They were going to lease the land to the developer and the developer would be on the hook for the cost.

These small arenas do bring in quite a lot of private events. Conferences, trade shows, weddings, concerts, graduations, church events. A five-thousand-seat arena fills a nice gap in our current offerings.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

^ That sounds better. I guess I didn't realize they were planning on cramming that much into that space.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

5 thousand seats is way smaller than you might imagine. This is a rendering of the new 5 thousand seat arena that the Arizona Coyotes will be playing in. (Why are they still in Arizona?)

It will be even smaller if they aren't planning for Hockey.

This is a 5000 seat basketball/vollyball arena

That arena is about 92m x 80m and the lot they want to build on is 130m x 86m. Plenty of room for additional uses. Plus great parking adjacency. They should build a hotel on the other side of the garage.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

shinatoo wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:55 am 5 thousand seats is way smaller than you might imagine. This is a rendering of the new 5 thousand seat arena that the Arizona Coyotes will be playing in. (Why are they still in Arizona?)
The Independence arena is 5,800 seats for reference and cost $60 million in 2009

I think they'd be better off going for what Drury University has in Springfield, their arena seats 2,850 for basketball and cost $13 million in 2010. So this would be much more cost effective and a capacity that better fits their needs.

dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

shinatoo wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:55 am 5 thousand seats is way smaller than you might imagine. This is a rendering of the new 5 thousand seat arena that the Arizona Coyotes will be playing in. (Why are they still in Arizona?)

It will be even smaller if they aren't planning for Hockey.

This is a 5000 seat basketball/vollyball arena

That arena is about 92m x 80m and the lot they want to build on is 130m x 86m. Plenty of room for additional uses. Plus great parking adjacency. They should build a hotel on the other side of the garage.
wait a minute, an NHL team is playing in a 5000 seat capacity arena? How does that happen? I mean Cable Dahmer Arena is about the same capacity right? I do not follow hockey closely but I would think KC could easily get an NHL team if Coyotes are in a 5000 seat arena. Geesh.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

dnweava wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:44 pm
The Independence arena is 5,800 seats for reference and cost $60 million in 2009

I think they'd be better off going for what Drury University has in Springfield, their arena seats 2,850 for basketball and cost $13 million in 2010. So this would be much more cost effective and a capacity that better fits their needs.

Cable Dalmer also includes ice hokey and a separate ice skating facility. The main building is 122m x72m
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

As an alumni, I and many others would love to have a program to support & would really be a financial boon. They really need to get their name out there & sadly, sports is one of the best ways to do it. This is a major dropped ball that would help them break out from the commuter school image.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:05 pm As an alumni, I and many others would love to have a program to support & would really be a financial boon. They really need to get their name out there & sadly, sports is one of the best ways to do it. This is a major dropped ball that would help them break out from the commuter school image.
Would argue a major investment in dorms and campus live (actually making this a none computer school) would do more.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

langosta wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:16 pm
TheSmokinPun wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:05 pm As an alumni, I and many others would love to have a program to support & would really be a financial boon. They really need to get their name out there & sadly, sports is one of the best ways to do it. This is a major dropped ball that would help them break out from the commuter school image.
Would argue a major investment in dorms and campus live (actually making this a none computer school) would do more.
Not exactly. As someone who went there for 4 years of undergrad, I'd have been MUCH more committed to campus and the school if we had a respectable sports arena like this. Sure, add dorms too but the arena would be better IMO.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

dukuboy1 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:18 pm
wait a minute, an NHL team is playing in a 5000 seat capacity arena? How does that happen? I mean Cable Dahmer Arena is about the same capacity right? I do not follow hockey closely but I would think KC could easily get an NHL team if Coyotes are in a 5000 seat arena. Geesh.
The Coyotes got booted from their NHL arena over a lease dispute. So now they play at ASU’s arena which is pretty embarrassing. They are hoping to build a new arena.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

droopy wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:58 pm
dukuboy1 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:18 pm
The Coyotes got booted from their NHL arena over a lease dispute. So now they play at ASU’s arena which is pretty embarrassing. They are hoping to build a new arena.
Understood, thank you and I appreciate the info.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

Has there been anymore details on this?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Metro wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:46 am Has there been anymore details on this?
It was paused
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

langosta wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:49 am
It was paused
Doesn't sound good. Reasoning?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Metro wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:24 am
langosta wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:49 am
It was paused
Doesn't sound good. Reasoning?
Economics for a developer to build an arena on their own dime and you renting it for very little a few days a year just doesn’t work