P&L District: 13th & Walnut Site Proposal

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: P&L District: 13th & Walnut Site Proposal

Post by earthling »

I haven't been to P&L in a while but isn't Burger King Bar still in heart of P&L? And there is Chipotle too.

P&L is targeting the mainstream crowd so wouldn't expect too much variety, especially like ethnic/foodie counter joints. But it is curious they are essentially turning into a chain-ish craft brew district. Nothing particularly wrong with that, especially given their target audience. While Xroads and River Market offer more variety, it's the rest of the Loop outside P&L that could use more variety - don't need to expect P&L to offer more variety. OTOH, agree that P&L needs to showcase one of the better KC BBQ joints for visitors/convention crowd.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

earthling wrote:I haven't been to P&L in a while but isn't Burger King Bar still in heart of P&L? And there is Chipotle too.
Probably not for long. That place is pretty quiet all the time.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote:I can't believe there is not even a McDonald's or Wendy's downtown with all the new residential and more on its way. I work downtown and I seriously sometimes cannot find anything appealing that is quick.
Well if you find those appealing not sure about you. :)

I can see the draw of a chain fast food place but honestly I prefer the locals.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think a McDonald's would be a great tenant for the old ingredient honestly.... But if nothing else has changed, the franchisee that owns the downtown market pulled out of city center square because they only wanted stores with drive thru. So I don't hold out hope for it.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote:
KC_JAYHAWK wrote:I can't believe there is not even a McDonald's or Wendy's downtown with all the new residential and more on its way. I work downtown and I seriously sometimes cannot find anything appealing that is quick.

We absolutely need both choices downtown. Some people want to eat local and different. Some want to walk out of their hotel room with their being really annoying kids and just want easy and quick where they don't have to bribe their kid to eat or don't want to deal with them making a scene.

Ask me why I haven't tried most the newer restaurants downtown.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It doesn't have to be a chain to meet your requirements.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

" Some want to walk out of their hotel room with their being really annoying kids and just want easy and quick where they don't have to bribe their kid to eat or don't want to deal with them making a scene."

Of course some people without kids, annoying or not, want to walk out of their hotel room and eat something familiar and quick.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

flyingember wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:

We absolutely need both choices downtown. Some people want to eat local and different. Some want to walk out of their hotel room with their being really annoying kids and just want easy and quick where they don't have to bribe their kid to eat or don't want to deal with them making a scene.

Ask me why I haven't tried most the newer restaurants downtown.
I would also argue that chains represent a thriving downtown..just no drive-thrus please.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

There are tons of chains in downtown Portland, probably the most chain-averse community I can imagine for a larger metro. I think there are 3 McDonald's in what would be considered downtown.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

There was a McDonalds on the Country Club Plaza for years (I think it's closed now). If one can be there then one can be anywhere downtown.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

flyingember wrote:There was a McDonalds on the Country Club Plaza for years (I think it's closed now). If one can be there then one can be anywhere downtown.
It is gone since 2009..Noodle Co. now.

Interesting find while looking for info on the Plaza McDonalds closing....Minneapolis and it's stronger downtown have the same chain "issue"

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... close.html
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Replace McDonalds with Noodle Co and it's just as good an example
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Posted in the "KC Scene" under brewpubs....Gordon Biersch is closing and a new tenant will be announced soon.

http://kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=20320&start=20
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

New tenant is Joe's KC BBQ =D> Plowboys will be done for.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Wow - that place will be a money machine.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote:New tenant is Joe's KC BBQ =D> Plowboys will be done for.
what's the source?
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

i assume he's reading into the comments of cordish guy on the other thread. not sure that's warranted, but:
StrangerThings wrote:
loftguy wrote:
bobbyhawks wrote:Joe's KC money printing business?
The owner of Joe's KC has been quoted as saying that he will never open a location in Missouri.
What's that saying? "Never say never".
this seems to me to be more of a "they've explored p&L" than a "yup joe's is in". but who knows. well, cordish guy does, but he ain't telling. so i choose to believe this is going to be something like a mellow mushroom or a wild wing cafe for now (both of which represent enormous upgrades over GB).

fwiw to me joe's seems like a much better fit for other spaces in p&L (admittedly not necessarily available ones). currently daydreaming about a setup in the leinenkugel's spot, with the carry out stand set up near the walnut entrance and seating spilling out onto that awesome patio and maybe a second story seating option upstairs... to be honest, i'm mostly just daydreaming about walking past that damn bar without enduring the scent of spilled summer shandy.

i also don't think joe's would kill plowboys. it might kill any hope that they'll extend hours for real instead of the stupid setup they have now. still, although joe's is better, plowboys is much faster than a joe's probably would be for the ~one-hour lunch break folks downtown. plus, any spouse who makes a habit of going to joe's without their suburb-bound significant other for lunch and admits it is sleeping on the couch.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Problem with Ployboys is they don't actually have an on-site pit, everything is brought in from Blue Springs if I recall. It's great when it's great but very hit and miss and miss, though can also say about some items with all BBQ joints. Have tried Ployboy's several times and it's more off than on. They could for example improve the burnt ends if cutting up on order rather than cutting ahead of time and letting it sit/dry out. The burnt ends are great when cut on order (happened only once) and quite poor when sitting. Consistently good sides though.

If true about Joe's, wonder if they''ll have an on-site pit, would hope so. A place on the roof? Would like to see downtown Ployboys survive and forced to up their game, like finding a place for a pit downtown and being more cautious about how they cut before serving.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

flyingember wrote:
KC_JAYHAWK wrote:New tenant is Joe's KC BBQ =D> Plowboys will be done for.
what's the source?
I was in Gordon Biersch yesterday to schedule a Harvester's celebration for work. I told the manager it would be in September and he said they would be closed. I talked to him briefly about it and asked who was taking over and he said, "well I think everybody's going to be happy because it's Joe's KC"...I guess take it for what's it worth. Maybe somebody else one the board can go down and ask as well. I forgot the guys name, but he was in charge of event scheduling.