Bond Bridge (formerly Paseo)

Transportation topics in KC
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Bond Bridge (formerly Paseo)

Post by moderne »

As I understand it, ONLY northbound Front St. exit traffic will be using the new bridge.  Guess they will merge into Paseo bridge traffic north of new bridges. This will clear up space to grade and pave approaches to next open new bridge to all northbound 29/35 traffic.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

This is a nice surprise...

Bond Bridge to open by end of year, six months early

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2010/09/27/22 ... z10kqLc9Rq
"People just repeat what everybody else says as a short cut to thinking." JTREG - BigSoccer Forum Member
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

It's official! I drove across it last night from the Front street on ramp. I'm thinking of going out there in the evening and taking some pictures on the bridge since there was literally no other traffic.

It should be noted, however, that I don't know how to take engaging pictures. Thus, if anyone else had this idea as well they should go for it b/c my pictures will be blurry and just include shots of me waving giddily.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

There are some good views from the Heart of America bridge bike path :)
KC Kropf
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Kropf »

dangerboy wrote: There are some good views from the Heart of America bridge bike path :)
Sorry to a little off of topic, but is the bike path ridable now?  Looked last weekend like they were finishing up the North side of the bridge and I couldn't tell if you could make it across on bike?

Back to topic:  HELL YEAH!  I am taking this up north tonight... Coming from the loop, can you exit on Front Street, then get back on to go over the bridge?? 
On to the Next One
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KC Kropf wrote: Sorry to a little off of topic, but is the bike path ridable now?  Looked last weekend like they were finishing up the North side of the bridge and I couldn't tell if you could make it across on bike?

Back to topic:  HELL YEAH!  I am taking this up north tonight... Coming from the loop, can you exit on Front Street, then get back on to go over the bridge?? 
Hmm... not sure. I just took Grand Avenue Viaduct over to front street.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
KC Kropf
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Kropf »

smh wrote: Hmm... not sure. I just took Grand Avenue Viaduct over to front street.
Good call... Thinking about it, this may actually be a short cut for me to get up north vs. the heavy traffic that I have been experiencing by taking the 670 loop from Truman and McGee to cross the Paseo... not to mention, good avoidance of the required near death merge across 4 lanes of highway traffic....
On to the Next One
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KC Kropf wrote: Good call... Thinking about it, this may actually be a short cut for me to get up north vs. the heavy traffic that I have been experiencing by taking the 670 loop from Truman and McGee to cross the Paseo... not to mention, good avoidance of the required near death merge across 4 lanes of highway traffic....
Definitely. That merge is ridiculous.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

KC Kropf wrote: Sorry to a little off of topic, but is the bike path ridable now?  Looked last weekend like they were finishing up the North side of the bridge and I couldn't tell if you could make it across on bike?
It's 99% finished and ridable, but there is still some construction debris a few sharp protrusions to watch out for.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

KC Kropf wrote: Good call... Thinking about it, this may actually be a short cut for me to get up north vs. the heavy traffic that I have been experiencing by taking the 670 loop from Truman and McGee to cross the Paseo... not to mention, good avoidance of the required near death merge across 4 lanes of highway traffic....
I rode across the new bridge last night.  Lots of people had the same idea, I've never seen so many cars along Grand through Berkeley Park when there wasn't a festival going on.

The best part (other than being on a new bridge of course) was getting to coast right on by all the poor schlubs stuck in traffic on the old bridge.  :)  You don't have to rejoin them until after Bedford.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Did the same thing yesterday. And yes, Grand was packed.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

When does the lighting get activated?  So far only an aircraft beacon.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The illumination is spectacular, without a doubt the best structure lighting in the city.  It is an experience to drive through and is visible for miles. It looks great from the Broadway bridge. The people that have windows on the east side of the View Condos have upped their property values.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

NOW IS THE TIME TO GET PICTURES OF BOTH BRIDGES TOGETHER! 

In a few months, the Paseo Bridge will be no longer exist. 
KC is the way to be!
KC Kropf
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Kropf »

Drove the illuminated bridge tonight as well... AMAZING!!!  I got all excited and my friends in the car thought I was crazy.. thought I saw a crash or something... I knew YOU GUYS would understand :-) 

Also - I wonder if it is just lit for tonights games being on ESPN and all the national attention.. 

And - how do they coordinate all the downtown skyscrapers to leave their lights on?  Blast out some memo? 
On to the Next One
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

AllThingsKC wrote: NOW IS THE TIME TO GET PICTURES OF BOTH BRIDGES TOGETHER! 

In a few months, the Paseo Bridge will be no longer exist. 
Here's a few of mine from the last year or two.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philmo/set ... 29/detail/
There's nothing wrong with shooting as long as the right people get shot.   Harry Callahan

For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.  Hunter S. Thompson
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

It's too bad they can't leave both bridges together.
KC is the way to be!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

AllThingsKC wrote:
I love the 'V'-shaped shadow the new bridge casts above itself in the fog.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Still waiting to see the LED lighting on the sides of the road deck.